engine conversion

boyt

Convert it to Td5, its actually pretty easy to do. just make sure you get an engine from someone reputable.

Steve

I have been thinking about doing this but how do you connect the acc pedal to the engine? will the td5 pedalbox fit the 300 tdi?

I reckon I would be a nice conversion, the td5 is a good motor once all the niggles are sorted

• 3 weeks later...

I'd rather convert to pedal power than fit a TD5.

Any particular reason?

I mean it is more powerful than a Tdi, more tunable than a Tdi, more refined than a Tdi, better sounding than a Tdi and in the right configuration probably more economical too. It was also in production longer than the Tdi's with a higher unit count, it passed every MoD reliability test bar EMP.

In every measurable way the Td5 is a superior engine to a Tdi.

Any particular reason?

I mean it is more powerful than a Tdi, more tunable than a Tdi, more refined than a Tdi, better sounding than a Tdi and in the right configuration probably more economical too. It was also in production longer than the Tdi's with a higher unit count, it passed every MoD reliability test bar EMP.

In every measurable way the Td5 is a superior engine to a Tdi.

Not so,the main reason being that most TD5 engine repairs require replacement units as alot of damage is not repaireable.Talk to Richard Turner of Turner Engineering,he will soon tell you how poor the TD5 is in this respect.Plus the parts costs are very high,crankshafts and cylinder heads being the main problem.Thats not even metioning injectors..... My scrap bin has had way more expensive TD5 junk thrown in it than TDI's ever have.

And now they are getting old the engine ecu's are dying of old age.

All going against the original idea of a LR being repairable,over and over again,often with limited facilities.

It would be very interesting to know what percentage of all TD5 and TDI engines reach a decent length of service life.I think we will have to wait longer for TDI's to all wear out,even though they came out well before the TD5.

And as a closing comment I know which engine I'd trust for a round the world trip.