Welding a tow ball

bluespanner

Or more precisely, a swan neck. The height of the ball on my 38a rangie is irritatingly low, and it makes my ifor Williams ride on the front axle. What I want to do is cut the ball off and weld to that's left a suitable lump of metal with a few sets of holes. I'd put a nice gusset on top (in the U of the swan neck, if you like.)

All I wondered is what kind of steel these are, and if there was any particular points about welding it.

Cheers, Roland.

Aside from the don't do it bit.... don't welds of forged steel to mild steel have a tendency to crack? Would be a shame to ruin the swan neck (which I believe are worth a few quid). Can you not change the tow bar for a different one? something like http://www.discount-towing.co.uk/product/5535-EC_Towbar-_Range_Rover_Oct_94-Jan_02

Maybe selling the swan neck would give some funds towards it?

DO NOT TRY TO WELD IT :D

The problem with this is it's like telling teenagers not to have sex, it would be much better telling them how to do it safely. More to the point it would be better to suggest that not welding the tow ball would be best but if you do then........

I would thoroughly clean and preheat the job, (300-350c) then using type 32 rod (see link) lay a root at 35a/mm.

Finish with 2 capping runs at 30a/mm, cool slowly.

The problem with this is it's like telling teenagers not to have sex, it would be much better telling them how to do it safely. More to the point it would be better to suggest that not welding the tow ball would be best but if you do then........

I would thoroughly clean and preheat the job, (300-350c) then using type 32 rod (see link) lay a root at 35a/mm.

NIck, thanks for explaining how to.

This is outside of the capabilities of many of us, but at least we now know WHY we shouldn't blindly have a go, only for something to go wrong as a result.

NIck, thanks for explaining how to.

This is outside of the capabilities of many of us, but at least we now know WHY we shouldn't blindly have a go, only for something to go wrong as a result.

Also why it would cost a few quid if taken to a pro welder.

...... In that case I could remove the whole swan neck bit and replace it with a bit of meaty box and weld what I want on to the end of that?

I don't know the existing tow bars mounts construction but I would add strengthening plates to each joint as this will be subject to quite a bit of stress. If you look at the link I posted earlier (post #9) you can see they have used two large plates welded on two faces of the main box to support the piece of box that the hitch bolts to.

Unless you can get the metal for free I'd question the value of modifying your own, the cost of metal and your time may quickly outweigh any saving .... plus you can sell the original one.

There is of course the added peace of mind benefit that if a bought tow bar fails you aren't the one getting hauled up in court (I know nothing of your welding ability so please don't take this as an insult).

Not a block I would put my neck on......................

Are you proposing to teach the sex crazed teenager HOW to weld as well?

It would have to be a braked trailer given that it's carrying another car on it which will add complications to moving the hitch position unless it has hydraulic brakes.

Don't think I quite agree with that, though I do admit to forgetting it would be a braked trailer :blush:

Our transporter's A frame is made of 3x2x1/4" steel angle, but could be raised or lowered by putting packers under the hitch casting, or we could have welded the angle into a C section and lowered the hitch, neither would have had a great effect on the brakes as would only mean moving vertically and not forward/backward. They don't take many minutes to set up anyway, and should be checked for adjustment and function as frequently as a Series, being drum braked.