Resonatation... Driving me insane

Ok this is driving me nuts..... I hope one of the wise will be able to help

Ever since we have owned the 300tdi it has had a metallic resonating noise in every gear ( but first) at between 27 and 32 mph. It is definately coming from just in front of the drivers foot well or just below it (or certainly sound like it as you can feel the resonating in the footwell floor) Once above a certain rev levels its gone ... But returns when it drops back

These are the things i have done and the resonating continues

Removed bonnet

Removed air box and bracket

Packed all chequer plate

Wrapped all brake lines

Checked all radaitor hoses and air hoses

Checked wing mountings

Removed bonnet stay

Checked the wiring llom is not wrattling inside the chassis member

Removed the multiple J nuts from the bottom of the A pillar!

Removed the heat protector from the engine block

Tightened the alternator shrouding

Crawled for hours underneith trying to find the wretched thing but to no avail. If the noise was coming from the passenger side I would suspect the exhaust down pipe ... But its not wrattling at all

The noise is metallic and quite loud it can be heard outside the car when passing folk on the pavement

Any clues much appreciated

Ps ... Just noticed i cant spell resonation either!!

Edited by cypermethrin

When I last heard of this problem on a TDI engine it turned out to be the injector pipes belive it or not. An extra clamp or two fixed the problem, worth a look even though I realise they are on the other side of the engine to where you think the noise is coming from. I remember this friend driving around for ages with his bonnet off to find this problem!

The only other suggestion I have is are you absolutly sure you have not got any exhaust leaks from the manifold/turbo area which can give some funny metallic noises, especially on V8s

Toby

Thanks for the suggestions

I have checked the front brake guard and ts not rattling or touching anything. Used a screwdriver to increase the distance etc ... No affect

Its definately not a loose floor plate.... Noise seems to be coming from in front and lower to floor plate

Just been out again and ts very odd..... I can get it to resonate constantly but the noise dissappears when the clutch is dipped.... And reappears when its re-engaged

Now to check the injector pipes.....

Keep the suggestions coming

Try removing the front propshaft and driving in difflock.

OK treat me like an idiot ...... What s the hypothesis being tested with this approach ??

Its not the injector pipes

I did find the steering rod going into the steering box was not fully tightened and had slight rattle n movement. Tightened it all up - no affect.

I think I had a similar noise in the same place on an old ex-MOD 90 I was running a while back. A resonance with a slight ring to it which seemed to come from around the bellhousing area.

Not sure I ever got to the bottom of it, so no help from me I'm afraid, but at least you know you're not going mad :wacko:

edit - I did check quite a lot of stuff to reduce noise & vibration and I put soundproofing pads on all floor panels, so it wasn't that - I suspect it was either a gearbox or clutch component or a silly bracket somewhere - I think it did disapear in the end but can't remember why.

OK treat me like an idiot ...... What s the hypothesis being tested with this approach ??

Its not the injector pipes

I did find the steering rod going into the steering box was not fully tightened and had slight rattle n movement. Tightened it all up - no affect.

I had this problem with my DIsco: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=19201

I never got to the bottom of it. As far as I could tell, engine vibrations travelled down the front propshaft and caused the front suspension to resonate at certain rpms. Drove me mad!

Thanks TheRecklessEngineer

Nice video ! My resonation is very similar - did you actually chnage the front prop/UJ and this had no affect ?

I had this problem with my DIsco: http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=19201

I never got to the bottom of it. As far as I could tell, engine vibrations travelled down the front propshaft and caused the front suspension to resonate at certain rpms. Drove me mad!

I have the same problem on a 90 200tdi- i've tracked it down to the handbrake ratchet thats under the boot in the drivers footwell- if I click it up one 'notch' the rattling stops completely- it doesnt put the handbrake on but just seems to take up enough slack in the cable to stop the rattle!

It very well could have been dodgy UJs - however because I was able to replicate the vibration in several gears I discounted it.

My resonation is the same as does it 5th, 4th, 3rd, & 2nd if you get the revs right

Today I am mostly thinking the front brake's guard that's rattling

Tomorrow I may be thinking it is the UJs

... thanks for all the suggestions - keep them coming !

Just to add,

I had a high pitch metallic noise that I failed to track for weeks, until the front prop UJ failed.....thankfully it was the transfer box end. Definitely worth checking the propshaft IMO.

We have had the truck for nearly 2 years and its always been a "feature" !

How can i check if it is the front UJs at fault apart frome removinthe the whole prop?