Under Body Protection

Hi Chaps. I am going on a of road outing next month, for a weekend, I am think of getting some under body protection, steering guard, Diff guards, I like the look of the slider type Diff guards, are these the best sort, and if so what make is considered the best, and as for the steering guard, what make is the most poplar/best, not necessary the cheapest but the best. Or what have you got and like the look of. Spike.

I prefer HD steering bars to gaurds as this also protects/ beefs up the track rod and stops the standard bars bending at the sight of a bit of rough, you can also use it as an oppurtunity to convert to a disco drop arm. I also have a clamp on front diff gaurd. I dont feel the need for a steering gaurd as i dont usually aim my landy at large imovable objects for ****s and giggles.

I use my 90 for farm work, building, tesco car park conquering, shopping and trialing so it gets a good bit of off tar use and the above suits me.

Just my 2p there will be many other opinions...

Will (worm spoon at the ready :) )

As above I prefer HD arms to steering guards also, I started with an alloy steering guard but it would bend even looking at a rock and in thick mud it would work like a shovel when reversing. It also offers no protection to your track rod. The disco drop arm/drag link is a worthwhile mod at the same time. If you do still want a steering guard then the West Midlands seems to be a good design and also reduces the shovel-like problems http://www.westmids4x4.com/products/challenge_spec_steering_guard.php

I've got a wrap around diff guard that is built into a slider on the front but that is only because I lost a normal clamp on one at a play day. On the rear I will soon be fitting a Gwyn Lewis weld on type, It's very solid and also helps keep weight down if you are concerned about that. http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page64.html You could also consider replacing your diff pans with HD weld in types. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Diff-Pan-Heavy-Duty-1-pair-gwynlewis4x4-ARB-/180730575348?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a1461b9f4#ht_999wt_953

Harry

Don't bother with a steering guard, waste of time unless you want to go maximum extreme. I've bent my steering bars twice even with a guard fitted.

I prefer the slider type diff guards, as they seem more likely to make the diff ride up over obstructions. The QT services ones I fitted have served me well.

What type of off roading are you doing? For greenlaning you dont really need anything. I've even taken my diff guards off now.

Hi

I went for Southdown front steering guard, front axle guard and rear diff (slider type) about 7/8 years ago. They may not be available any more. Have to say plenty of protection a bit of added weight but well worth it I recon. I am able to jack under the axles a lot easier if needed.

I had a good look around before I bought, I would suggest you do likewise.

Hope this is of help

when i bend my steering arms again - i am upgrading to strengthened bars. I do have a steering guard fitted - but that is also bent and i have still managed to bend the steering arms behind it as well!

My only concern with uprated arms V steering guard... big impacts onto the strengthened arms will transmit the force directly to the drop arm and hence to your steering box. that does worry me slightly.

If you are only going to Greenlane you may not need anything as said.

Just a set a of 235/85/16 at, dont go alone, bring recovery kit just incase.

I think you will find Greenlanes will make you want to move on to something a bit more challenging. :i-m_so_happy:

That will be the time for guards, heavy st/bars and muds.

when i bend my steering arms again - i am upgrading to strengthened bars. I do have a steering guard fitted - but that is also bent and i have still managed to bend the steering arms behind it as well!

My only concern with uprated arms V steering guard... big impacts onto the strengthened arms will transmit the force directly to the drop arm and hence to your steering box. that does worry me slightly.

I have the same concerns. A steering guard will hopefully protect the drag link from any impact in the first place, while the axle protects the track rod to some extent. HD steering rods might resist bending better, but will make the ball joints or PAS box (or steering relay and manual steering box on Series vehicles) take much more punishment. You can steer the vehicle home with bent rods for repair, but you can't drive a vehicle with sheared ball joints or steering box shafts.

For very frequent laning or heavier off roading, I'd fit a steering guard up front and one of the full-span track rod guards that fits between the radius arms and connects to a diff guard, retaining the standard rods. I can't remember whether it was a Gwyn Lewis or Southdown product, but someone else should be able to let you know that.

Boris - that's the fella I had in mind; much better than uprated steering rods as it won't make the more critical and expensive parts take any additional strain.

Stuck - I'm inclined to agree with you, but if someone has the spare cash and plans on doing a lot of laning, then a bit of protection could pay off if the track hasn't been driven for a while and the grass is long enough to hide rocks or stumps...

I've gone the belt and braces route-like I usually do!! I've got strengthened steering bars and a steering guard as well as diff guards and a tank guard for my 90, I've seen too many diff pans get trashed and have already pierced a fuel tank that I had to replace with the current one, The reason behind the strengthened steering bars is because I've bent my rear track rod and done the same to my front one too-so far I've not managed to damage any of that lot that I first typed above and they way I look at it-it's better to have them and not need them-than to not have them and need them

JMHO

John

I have a steering guard and diff guards, but my 90 spends a lot of time in woods and forests where foresters roam free with chainsaws and tree stumps are sometimes left a bit higher than they should be! If I get a chance I'll replace the diff guard with a reinforced diff pan as that strikes me as a tidier solution.

For a normal road vehicle or light greenlaner I wouldn't bother personally. If in doubt get out and check or use a spotter you trust.

..... If I get a chance I'll replace the diff guard with a reinforced diff pan as that strikes me as a tidier solution.

Also diff guards can encourage the diff pan to rust through if you don't clean out trapped mud properly....

Also diff guards can encourage the diff pan to rust through if you don't clean out trapped mud properly....

Unless of course you've got Galv'd axle casing's like I have lol

Diff guard i would say is a must. We just trashed a front diff on on of the Mountain Rescue trucks, that was driving down a stalkers track, nothing I would class as exactly offroad, but a rock managed to find the lower portion of the diff pan and cracked it. Easy cheap protection for not a lot of effort.

Clean any rust off first, use a zinc rich or red oxide primer, paint and then cover in wax before fitting the diff gaurd and you should have no trouble. It's a also a good reason to use the bolt-on types like QT's, rater than the clamp-on type like Craddocks and Paddocks, as the bolt-ons have large voids that let the mud and water drain out.

Thanks chaps for all the info, in the end I went for just front and rear diff sliders/guards, I ordered them last Thursday, got told they were out of stock of the rear guards but would get them posted out first thing on Tuesday, I went for Teraffirma in the end, well they arrived today (Thursday) but I got sent a two inch lift kit for a discovery, not a lot of help, we are of tomorrow, (Friday) till Sunday so am of Naked, Retroanaconda, I do a lot of driving in woods as well (Stalking) so the Guards idea for the green laning was just an excuse really. Is it going to stop raining, don't fancy camping in a lake, I may get a sump guard as well in the not to near future, just need to make my mind up what one, Thanks again. Spike.