Our project

mmgemini

Nice old-school irons :)

This I am looking forward to, if your meticulousness in everything so far is mirrored, it will be impressive :)

Yep good things.

I was taught at 9 years of age to solder by an old, then, retired marine engineer. I had to make the flux first. I don't know what the spirit was but we used the zinc Every Ready battery cases to kill the spirit. OOHH ! Health and Safety....

Then get the iron clean and tinned correctly. I was taught well.

Those irons must be 60 years old as I bought them either while at school or just after leaving.

Hi Mike we camped next to you a Donington this year at the Hub meet in the Disco 2 you told me &Denise about the trailer project will it be finished for September, looking very near I've injoyed reading progress so far.

Harry

Hi Mike we camped next to you a Donington this year at the Hub meet in the Disco 2 you told me &Denise about the trailer project will it be finished for September, looking very near I've injoyed reading progress so far. Harry

Hi Harry.

Pleased yoy've enjoyed the reading.

Was it you that wanted four Wollf boxes ?

Left side and rear panels on. Yep fixed on for good. Then we ran out of pop rivets....

So today I've started on the wiring.

geyv.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This is the lighting loom ready to fit into place
I've dropped the lights in place so I can put the Lucar connectors to the loom and lights.
It still looks bare at the rear

3u9z.jpg
Battery box, I've started some of the wiring here. Then I ran out of solder......
fn2q.jpg
Wires on the left as you look are from the Defender to the charger. Those on the right side are the main feed cables to the front wiring box.

Its amazing to watch this come together - like a giant jigsaw, with each piece fitting so neatly into the others.

One thing I have wondered is what the ground clearance is? It looks quite low in places. Obviously larger tyres will give a little more and it all depends where you plan to take it?

Its amazing to watch this come together - like a giant jigsaw, with each piece fitting so neatly into the others.

One thing I have wondered is what the ground clearance is? It looks quite low in places. Obviously larger tyres will give a little more and it all depends where you plan to take it?

Yes but I think I have it right. It was a compromise because I tried to keep the floor and so the bed height low. That meant there wasn't much height for the batteries BUT the angle from the bottom of the tyre footprint, to the edge of the back locker is 30 deg. That's the departure angle. That's the same as most of the South African ones I've based my design on.

Wiring ! Comment please.

Each light has a separate earth. Nothing is earthed via the chassis.

So on the left are two lights. Stop, tail and indicator in one light unit with one earth.

Next is the reversing light.

Then There's the number plate light and the rear marker light.

So!!

Do I make an earth loom with each Lucar that's earth and and link to the next.

OR

Take an earth wire from each light to a Lucar connector block.

I'm plumping for the second idea.

I have a rear fog to do on the right side.

I would go for a tree structure. Have a connector block for each cluster of things that needs an earth, with a single earth (sized to take the max current of the sum of all the connections back to a single terminal post which links to the battery.

A separate earth back to the battery for each item uses a lot of cable and starts to get unmanageable - although it is the better solution.

A third option, which I like, is a Bus or ring main. You run heavy cable round everywhere power is needed, then put the relays and fuses for the things that use power, adjacent to the thing itself. You then run thin control wires back to switches etc.

This is easy to diagnose problems as you know the fuse or relay will be next to the thing that isn't working. It gives the max avaialble current at every point on the ring - so you can, for example connect it to winches (not in your case), inverters etc. When you need to add something new - you always have power nearby. You make a saving on the amount of wire required. You do need more thin connecting wire, but it's vastly cheaper than heavy wire - of which you need comparitively little.

Another top tip is to make bus bars. In each of my vehicles, I've made three heavy aluminium (or copper) bars with tapped holes along their length. These, in my case connect to Battery Live, Earth and Ignition live. All the various connections go back to a single screw on the bus. It makes it very easy when you need to add something and easy to isolate power to one thing.

The bars were insulated by screwing a piece of plastic sheet to the back of the bars with countersunk screws. Then sandwich another piece of plastic covering the screw heads, between the first and the vehicle body - and fix the whole thing by bolting through the two layers of plastic.

Si

Marvellous job Mike, marvellous. It's lovely to see it so close to completion. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh one day soon :)

Mo

Nowhere near finished for me.

However it goes out on Wednesday.....

I'll be adding more later today or tomorrow.

This is great work, Mike. I fancy doing longer trips in the distant future and was contemplating making up an exped trailer with top mounted tent similar to those in your links, using my Sankey as a base, but this is much more impressive! It will limit the vehicle off road while towing, but of course will lighten the vehicle when base cam is set up, and it looks like a very comfortable way of living out.

One question: all the off road trailers and caravans seem to use standard hitches, while NATO hitches would seem at face value a much tougher, more secure and articulate solution. There must be a reason for using the standard hitch - care to share?

All use a standard hitch BUT see if you can get a 360 revolving one..

Will you be at the Overland show this weekend ?

Road test fine.

Still lots of jobs to do.

No interior lights...Well the tent didn't have any

Just the 12 V for the fridge to do now

Will post more in a couple of weeks.

I'm working all weekend again, Mike - I might have come along otherwise.

The difficulty in sourcing a revolving tow ball hitch is what makes me curious as to why they don't use NATO hitches, given that the latter will allow 360 degree linear rotation and 90 degree articulation in all axis, and without putting any pressure on the release mechanism or creating any friction or significant wear in the hitch. I presume it mush be a legal rather than practical issue. I can see the limits of a standard hitch easily being exceeded crossing a moderate ridge or gulley, while a NATO hitch would barely notice it...