Drill bit storage

mmgemini

Now I have a few drill bits. Most lie on a shelf, luckily still in the box supplied with the bit. I have two sets of bits. One metric and one Imperial, both boxed as supplied. I've got some more bits today, countersunk ones for metal.

Suggestions on storage please.

I'm thinking of one of those small four/ five quid tool boxes or similar.

Mike, I use the tubes from the effervescent vitamins-Here: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250195268 that I take all I do is remove the corrugated stopper part of the lid and I can store about 7 maybe 8 drill bits in them depending on the size of the dril bit, Cheap and also good for you at the same time

HTH

John

I'm sorry guys. I haven't made myself clear. It's not the small stuff. up to 3/8" or 10mm. They're in proper drill bit tins. It's the 1/2" 11/16" 5/8 3/4" 25mm ones that's lying about.

A lot of those drills are already in tubes.

John. What do you do with the vitamins ?

For my big drill bits, I just drilled a load of holes in a shelf & store them all tip upwards.

I also have a load of tapered holes for Morse bits and a couple of the tiered cases for 13mm & below.

If I was better at putting things away, they would be quite organised.

Si

If you can find some shallow drawers like used for paper in some offices you can get some thick card and fold it like a fan/concertina and then you just rest the drill bits in the dips and hopefully things stay organised .... or you can leave them all over the place and spend hours looking for the right one like I do ;)

If you can find some shallow drawers like used for paper in some offices you can get some thick card and fold it like a fan/concertina and then you just rest the drill bits in the dips and hopefully things stay organised .... or you can leave them all over the place and spend hours looking for the right one like I do ;)

I'm not that bad at putting tools away. I used to make sure when working that my box was locked at the end of each working day.

Yes these drill bits are on a shelf, as I'm having to work outside it's a pain to go and get them each time I need to use one. That's why I was thinking of a cheapish tool box so I could tote all the drill bits to the job ???

John. What do you do with the vitamins ?

Mike,

Ah right I see now why you wanted something bigger than what we've all suggested, As regards to the vitamins-I work away on ships(I do the security for them on the Gulf of Aden/red sea etc) Sometimes the food onboard can be rubbish and I don't get a decent diet, so I drop them in water and drink them for part of my breakfast-once the contents are finished I then find a use for the tubes,and as it goes at the mo I use about 8 of them for my drill bit's, I mark the tubes up with a permanent marker with the size on it and they then sit in my roller draw tool box so I can find them instead of hunting around in the draw for the right size.

John

John

A small drawer chest thats got a handle on the top and then lay small corrugated plastic in the drawers to lay the bits in

cheers

Steveb

Yep. Snap-On make one of those.....Have you seen the price ????Unless you, or somebody else, has some pointers

I would have thought there are plenty of alternatives -Toolstation / local hardware shop / halfrauds/B&Q etc etc

...and the corrugated plastic I had in mind is the cheap small size you use for cheapo garden tool shed roofing just cut to fit

Steveb

The main problem with drill bits, in general, is that the buggers are migratory. No matter where I put them (how they escape from platic tubes, I do not know) they never seem to stay put. Somewhere , within the dark, dingey corners of the garage is the secret drill bit cemetary, the place that twist drills go to die. One day I'll find that place and recover/resharpen the missing 5mm cobalt drills........... One day

The main problem with drill bits, in general, is that the buggers are migratory. No matter where I put them (how they escape from platic tubes, I do not know) they never seem to stay put. Somewhere , within the dark, dingey corners of the garage is the secret drill bit cemetary, the place that twist drills go to die. One day I'll find that place and recover/resharpen the missing 5mm cobalt drills........... One day

So that's where my half inch drill bit is.

I find the same... I think all my tools have legs!

All you need to loose things is a small child. I can't find anything in the house these days except clothes pegs, and they're normally in my shoes! She has yet to infiltrate my garage (I think) but I can't find things out there either.

I am with Simonr on drill storage. Holes through a shelf for big TS drills and reamers, holes drilled into a block of wood for smaller stuff, countersinks and centre drills etc. I have a set of Dormer drills in a nice metal tiered case, 0.5-13mm in 0.5 steps. Micro drills (sub 0.5mm) are in small boxes in my tool chest :)

All you need to loose things is a small child. I can't find anything in the house these days except clothes pegs, and they're normally in my shoes! She has yet to infiltrate my garage (I think) but I can't find things out there either.

Just wait until you get Lego.....It doesn't half hurt under bare feet.

I use an old school fabric roll which used to hold the bits for a brace and bit which belonged to my great grandfather. Its brill, holds them all in size order, and neatly rolls up and has integrated cord sown in to tie it all together.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=140898 looks like a modern equivalent, however the pockets dont look quite as good a fit. Wouldnt be too hard to find someone handy with a sewing needle to knock you up a custom one I would have thought...