Defender Wiring Diagram

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of designing a complete new loom for my Defender (Of which I plan to share once I'm done, as it should be pretty comprehensive :) )

Could do with some help, I'm using the Haynes as a reference point for the switchgear but it's falling short on the wiring within the steering column switches and the Hazard Switchgear. Does anyone have a more thorough diagram with these systems broken down?

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers,

Adam

Use the TD5 wiring diagrams, they show pin connector numbers for steering column switches. I've done the same for my re-do of the indicator circuit! The TD5 diagrams also show useful things like cable CSAs - most of it still applicable to pre-td5 vehicles.

Be interested to see your re-loom diagram!

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry! Still not used to this forum.

Yeah it's a 200tdi discovery engine in a 1988 19J Car.

As I've rebuilt the entire thing I thought I would redo the wiring, I've had my head in books and diagram software for the last week or so and barely made a dent. I'm up to 70 fuses, so it'll at least be safe! Starting to resemble the starship enterprise!

I have 2 alternators and 2 batteries so I'm designing it around that basis and keeping the two systems separate. I've wired up cars, racers etc in the past but this is much more of a challenge!

• 1 month later...

Well took me longer than I thought....but here's my first draft...

StartingChargingEngine-1.jpg

As a brief summary, the system uses 2 batteries and 2 alternators using the ignition switch to control both systems.

I've ordered all my wire and I expect as I install it I'll find more improvements! Once I'm all done I'll do a neat version!

It's a bit crude, so some things may only make sense to me! I went on a bit of a safety rampage with fuses and relays, I don't like anything unfused!

I've already noticed one mistake. The engine run signal wire now uses 2 relays, a standard 4 pin and a 5 pin changeover relay so when the oil switch loses it's earth you gain a positive signal.

So...we now have 27 relays :P

is this to light up another light? or automatically turn the engine off? or another reason entirely?

if the oil pressure light does lose its earth does it light up?

Just trying to understand why??? lol

Jad

is this to light up another light? or automatically turn the engine off? or another reason entirely?

if the oil pressure light does lose its earth does it light up?

Just trying to understand why??? lol

Jad

The purpose of it is to make a wire go live for use with ancillaries and gear...but only when the engine is running, not at any other time.

It's mainly me just being a bit fancy and making the system fool proof (me proof).

I plan to use the live wire to provide the live to the switches for the heated windscreen, mirrors and rear de-mister, but also to provide a safety feature for the electric coolant pump and park heater.

adam fair play to you for doing this im having trouble just reconnecting my old wiring loom

I find it easier to build looms from scratch than fumbling around with (poorly designed) standard looms!...or maybe I just enjoy complicating things?

I've broken my wiring down into easy to manage sections (like the 101 originally was)

I've got a rear chassis harness, Dash Harness, Engine Harness, Front Lighting Harness and a Distribution Harness.

basically giving a Power feed from the battery on the distribution harness into the Dash where all the controllers exist (switches) and then onto the "child harnesses" where the items are actuated.

The rear harness was until today 6 wires:

Tail lamps, Brake lamps, LH Ind, RH Ind, Fog lamp, Reverse lamp

however I've now decided I may add an additional harness alongside the above and shrink wrap together:

RH Tail, RH Stop, RH Fog, RH Reverse, Ign +, non Ign +

Thus giving me full compliment to allow for 13 Pin Trailer electrics, AND giving me the ability to fuse protect individual sides of the vehicle... maybe a bit OTT