Making an ARB

nicks90

Slightly strange topic and not LR related - but it is for a 4x4!!!

My other car is a jeep grand cherokee, and whilst its a lovely vehicle to drive and does everything my old D2 does without the build quality and rust issues - it does tend to be a bit rattled by poor road surfaces, cambers and tight corners.

A very popular mod by GC owners is to fit an uprated HD rear anti roll bar from addco. This pretty much sorts out the handling issues and turns it into a very nice composed road warrior. However the price and availability of these anti roll bars is not for the faint hearted!!!

So my question is this - is ARB material some magic formula of unobtanium, or is it just standard mild steel bar?

The rear arb on the jeep is a standard C shape, no funky kinks or bulges or anything like that - so would it be possible to get a bit of 1" bar (same as addco uses) and bend up a new one, drill a hole in each end ot accept the bolt that attaches the link arms to the axle and jobs a good'un?

I have a variety of poly bush blanks that i could make replacement arb mounting bushes out of - or ream out the existing bushes to accept a 1" bar instead of the original 9/16 - so mounting it should be simple too.

any advice appreciated!

Nick

As far as I am aware it is just mild steel, I see no reason why you couldn't make one however unless you have a forge flattening the ends could be fun, so as above I would try and find one from something else.

Jason.

I had a Cherokee that I made purely for offroad so removed the roll bars. You could have'm for free, but I live in Denmark.. But I would suppose you could find some from somebody who removed theirs too for offroading. Surely they wouldn't be a straight swap from a Cherokee, but wouldn't think would too much fiddling to get them fitted.

Torsion bars are essentially mild steel, sometimes high strength steel, but always tempered / heat treated to make them more springy!

If you can adapt a standard bar, that would be the best option. P38 Range Rover Front are about the stiffest Land Rover types available if that's any help.

A half shaft is a reasonable option too as they are tempered.

Si

Thanks for all your help. Next job is to get some rough measurements of the arb and start trawling scrappies for something thicker and roughly the right size.

So second question...

The arb links are currently perfectly vertical, do they have to be like this or is some lateral variation allowed?

You can make anti roll bars from EN16T. You won't cold bend them though, use Oxy and hot bend where you need to. The drop links ideally need to be vertical otherwise you will deflect the bar instead of promoting twist in it. Been making them like this for racing for nearly 20 years and not had a single failure (touch wood) :)