Jeep wrangler build

Is your 3rd link pararell to the other two trailing arms?

The 3rd link has some convergence with the lower links to give an instant centre around 20 cm behind the instant centre of the previous radius arms. there was no science behind choosing that dimension though. It was just about the only location I could find enough space to put it.

We should probably move this conversation to another multilink suspension thread though, rather than clutter Dans build thread.

Apologies Dan.

The 3rd link has some convergence with the lower links to give an instant centre around 20 cm behind the instant centre of the previous radius arms. there was no science behind choosing that dimension though. It was just about the only location I could find enough space to put it.

We should probably move this conversation to another multilink suspension thread though, rather than clutter Dans build thread.

Apologies Dan.

Yes, bill that would be good, and some pictures to stop us all guessing....

We might have noticed but haven't said anything as we just assumed that unlike most of us you have a life ..... and that can kind of get in the way at times ;)

Agree! Noticing is not the same as criticising though. Hell, I've got so many unfinished gearbox, crawler units, PTO's and power drive projects in my shed, that the man upstairs would need to tack another 20 years onto my life expectancy for me to have a hope of finishing half of them. And that doesn't include the time I would need to live a life, if I still had one.

I've grown a little bored of the Jeep for now, between my merc v8, my patrol and some trailer maintenance I've not been idle though.

I've also started trialling again, and the trialler needs a little time and funds! Some suspension work from our trialler might find its way on here though as I'm preparing something different I've wanted to create for years!

I've grown a little bored of the Jeep for now, between my merc v8, my patrol and some trailer maintenance I've not been idle though.

I've also started trialling again, and the trialler needs a little time and funds! Some suspension work from our trialler might find its way on here though as I'm preparing something different I've wanted to create for years!

You make me feel bad now, in all that time, all I have done is get my windscreen wiper motor running again!

Daan

• 2 months later...

Just before the thread drops off the bottom of the page :unsure: We're back on with it,

Pretty much all the chassis fabrication work is done, i've simply/(slightly crudely) mounted landrover springs and 14" procomp to the back.

And we've got the chassis mostly in primer, hopefully it will be fully pained by the end of the weekend.

DSC_0063_zps0683abf4.jpg

DSC_0066_zps58274acb.jpg

Used my lovely snap-on bush press to push the bush out of the end of the one link before fully welding it up.

The bush came out really nicely and totally undamaged, which i was a little suprised about as i'd made the bush eyes a little smaller than the stock radius arms.

DSC_0049_zpsfcfa3b79.jpg

DSC_0050_zps230f7540.jpg

DSC_0051_zpse8dd83a9.jpg

"Finger welding :P "

How many spondoolys is a snap on bush jobber dan, are they on special at the moment?

Will.

It's certainly a handy looking tool.Being 'Snap On' I'd probably need to see my bank manager before buying one though. Might try and make one once my mates lathe is up and running.

Chassis has come up a treat Dan.

Good to see you're back on it :-)

(Boring question) what paint & primer are you using?

Not sure how "back on it" i am, it is definatly going to be built up to a rolling shell, time will tell if it gets any more of my time than that.

For paint i'm using a high build etch primer, with semi gloss black 2k top coat

How many spondoolys is a snap on bush jobber dan, are they on special at the moment?

Will.

I think the retail is £500+vat, i paid £400inc vat

It's certainly a handy looking tool.Being 'Snap On' I'd probably need to see my bank manager before buying one though. Might try and make one once my mates lathe is up and running.

Chassis has come up a treat Dan.

I have had a several cheaper versions that are tailored to vehicle specific applications, all of these barely last more than a dozen bushes.

what drew me to the snap on one was the large selection of bush tubes in the kit and the "threaded bars" have rolled threads rather than cut threads

I have had a several cheaper versions that are tailored to vehicle specific applications, all of these barely last more than a dozen bushes.

what drew me to the snap on one was the large selection of bush tubes in the kit and the "threaded bars" have rolled threads rather than cut threads

never mind the jeep build....... could you bend me some hoops please :i-m_so_happy: i have a new plan for the shock mounts :i-m_so_happy:

I have no reservations about the quality of Snap On kit. But because I no longer work in the trade, a cheaper unit that would do a dozen bushings would last me to the grave.

Oops - where's my smilie faces gone ?

My post above was meant to be a light hearted response to saying you'll only be around long enough to do another dozen bushes ...... My meaning was that I hope you get to be around for a lot lot longer than that.

I hope it doesn't read badly !

Oops - where's my smilie faces gone ?

My post above was meant to be a light hearted response to saying you'll only be around long enough to do another dozen bushes ...... My meaning was that I hope you get to be around for a lot lot longer than that.

I hope it doesn't read badly !

I hardly ever have smilies available when I post! Wonder why that is?

Thankyou for your kind wishes, but unfortunately the prognosis is that I will not live to quite see

500,but won't qualify for the aged pension til I'm 480.

I keep forgetting that WildFing is no longer alone, and there is a RRC and a Stage one to maintain. So I would expect to replace more than a dozen bushings in the next 20 years, by which time the law would probably expect me to surrender my drivers license.

never mind the jeep build....... could you bend me some hoops please :i-m_so_happy: i have a new plan for the shock mounts :i-m_so_happy:

Pull your finger out and get your junk down to me and i'll get it done, just as long as you bring that big gay gearbox with you. :P

Nearly finished priming it now.

Upper spring mounts,

DSC_0082_zps52784458.jpg

Lower spring mounts in the axle bracing for the 1 link

DSC_0083_zps1ae378c0.jpg

Also i decided to weld in some thin tread plate for the wing tops.

DSC_0085_zpse0e10dab.jpg

DSC_0086_zps624c15e0.jpg