Really Would Love Some Help From Some Local Members Please

CJ1

Dan has a head for me ready to fit on his shelf (the last one), So I really need to know now if people can make it this week and if so which day so that I can get that head ordered. If no one can make it this week I will have to let the car go into the garage. I have advised the garage all the symptoms and have asked them before they start stripping the engine to please make sure that the head gasket is blown as when I took it to the garage near me earlier I didn't see how they tested the engine, but was told exhaust emissions were getting into the coolant.

The Discovery is due into GJB by about 11am on Friday as things stand now, but this can all be changed.

Dan has a head for me ready to fit on his shelf (the last one), So I really need to know now if people can make it this week and if so which day so that I can get that head ordered. If no one can make it this week I will have to let the car go into the garage. I have advised the garage all the symptoms and have asked them before they start stripping the engine to please make sure that the head gasket is blown as when I took it to the garage near me earlier I didn't see how they tested the engine, but was told exhaust emissions were getting into the coolant.

The Discovery is due into GJB by about 11am on Friday as things stand now, but this can all be changed.

With all due respect Friday is only a few days away, I would give anyone able to help a chance to get organised, it's also worth bearing in mind most people work during the week so are more likely to be able to offer assistance at weekends.

I am thinking that my only option for the head gasket side of things is to throw it in the garage Friday, and then organise a spanner day in a few weeks for the other stuff. I have been trying to get everyone to say when they were free since I started this post but no one said, so have had to try and set a day now, rather than before.

I am thinking that my only option for the head gasket side of things is to throw it in the garage Friday, and then organise a spanner day in a few weeks for the other stuff. I have been trying to get everyone to say when they were free since I started this post but no one said, so have had to try and set a day now, rather than before.

My comments above still stand. IF anyone can help I think you need to give them time, the thread was only moved into this section yesterday and not everyone checks in everyday.

Coming from this from a completely different angle ..............

No point loads of members agreeing to turn up and sort etc, if you then find the issues are bnew parts you then can't get

How about 1 x member who knows what they are doing to kindly visit, look and work out

A - what needs doing

B - peeps can then put their hands up for which bit they fnacy

C - Parts if needed can be obtained

When date then sorted and all turn up would be a good use of time and peeps ?

Nige

All this short notice / panic / "I must have a car ASAP" rushing around with your hair on fire is not helping, it didn't help you with the Freelander and now you're doing the same with the Disco, trying to save time & money but ending up with stuff rushed, not done properly, spending far more than you need to and throwing good money after bad. If you throw the car into the garage to do the head gasket ASAPOHMYGOD then they'll do it, charge you £££ and next week it will spit the dummy again 'cos the head is knackered or there's some other problem that the garage didn't have time to look at or think of because you've put the screws on them.

You'd be better off borrowing or renting a working car or van or whatever and getting the Disco sorted properly, even if it takes a week or two to organise or you end up getting some helpful person to trailer it away to a reputable garage somewhere else - Chichester 4x4 springs to mind.

If you're really really lucky someone on here who's local to you might even be able to lend you a working vehicle for a bit.

Please take this as the constructive advice it's intended to be, I really do hope you get your transport sorted.

I like the idea of someone coming out and telling me what needs doing. I am taking that last comment as constructive advice, but can't expect anyone to lend a complete stranger there car. The garage I have chosen was recommended by another Discovery owner who has used them for years. And they don't know that I am desperate for it to be sorted, and are providing a courtesy car for the duration. And I know that most people will be busy for the next 2 weekends. I really need to sit down and have a think. I can't afford to rent a car again.

Did you say that it's in the red and some pipes are cold? Or did I miss a bit?

I have tonight had another go at bleeding the system and accidentally made things worse. I drove it up the road and on the way back the temperature gauge hit the red. I immediately pulled over and switched the engine off and waited for a few minutes for the engine to cool enough and got it home before it hit the red again. I popped the bonnet as the heating was stone cold again and the pipes from the heater matrix were stone cold, and the top pipe attached to the bottom radiator was cold too. I give up for tonight. Tomorrow evening I will be taking the heater matrix pipes off and back filling that, and trying again, then if that doesn't change things I will try removing the thermostat the night after, and if that doesn't work I give up.

Thats what i read as well.

Is the temp sender or gauge faulty? Not got a clue with a 300TDI? just trying to help

My first thoughts would be thermostat, water pump, massive airlock (but 300's are easy to bleed)

Did the garage confirm the headgasket failure by chemical test or by pressure test

All the pipes would be red hot with a head gasket into water jacket failure

Is the watertank pressurisation due to an air lock?

What are the winning numbers for this friday night?

Get confirmation off the garage as to what they did

When run up to heat is the rad hot all the way down (mind your fingers)

300Tdi's have a habit of overheating when they are poorly maintained or thrashed to death so it has to be on the list and if it has been badly overheated the head will most likely be toast as the casting quality is poor

BUT always check the other possibilities first

Remind me, where do you live?

Spoke to the garage who said head gasket gone and was told they didn't do a sniff test but process of elimination, as it was pressurising and there was no oil in the water or water in the oil that it had to be exhaust gases in to the coolant.