Nice proof X Eng anti theft kit works

Some cctv cameras allow for privacy zones so you can make sure you aren't looking in neighbours windows, you could even have a chat with them beforehand and invite them over to see that you can't see into their property.

I spoke to a local police officer before putting up a cctv camera and they said there isn't normally a problem so long as you aren't staring into someones house. The police have been around a few times when there has been trouble to see if the camera has caught anything that would help them so they know that it is capturing the road as well as my property.

what about using the central locking kit solenoids to move dead bolts into the lock and hinge sides? you could probably get a rigid wire up the door frame to fire one into the roof, may be a little pointless because they'd just break the glass! how about Perspex instead of glass, you can't try and smash it without turning the car into a big booming drum!

Another weak point is the door-tops. They are often grabbed by the top and bent outwards so the internal lock can be accessed - or worse still bent over completely and broken off - then you climb in 'dukes of Hazard' style. This is more difficult to overcome.

Are they later fully steel doors any stronger in this respect?

Where is the least safe place to park a Defender, any ideas? Perhaps we as a forum could resort to vigilante action and could set a trap with a tasty 'bait' car and all lay in wait in some nearby bushes - a little like a cross between dogging and a lynching... It would make an interesting forum meet at least.

Chris

:rofl:

Why do all the fun-sounding ideas seem to be heading towards illegal territory?

:rofl:

Why do all the fun-sounding ideas seem to be heading towards illegal territory?

We can all claim to have been having a silent midnight picnic when someone tried to steal the Landy, don't the current guidlines allow for the fact that the perception of reasonable force is different in the 'heat of the moment'?

Just make sure all injuries are on the front so as to prove they weren't trying to escape ;) Oh and you aren't allowed to have weapons ..... unless you had them on you for a legitimate reason, for example vermin control ;)

In some countries they cut of the hand which you used trying to steal the item....

Daan

That would both if he had the door in both hands :ph34r:

I like the remote dead bolts into hinge and latch sides but also wonder if there was room enough to get one on the door top?

As for the smashing of glass, easy cured, there are such things as vinyl films which can be applied inside the window, try smashing your way through a gary boys tinted rear window just to see how right I am :lol:

Liking the vigilante picnic idea ;)

We can all claim to have been having a silent midnight picnic when someone tried to steal the Landy, don't the current guidlines allow for the fact that the perception of reasonable force is different in the 'heat of the moment'?

Just make sure all injuries are on the front so as to prove they weren't trying to escape ;) Oh and you aren't allowed to have weapons ..... unless you had them on you for a legitimate reason, for example vermin control ;)

Midnight round of golf anyone?

I have a few of the Panasonic WiFi Pan/Tilt cameras. Although it has a 1A Power supply, even with the pan/tilt motors running it only draws 300mA, 150mA when it's streaming video and about 80mA when it's just sat there doing motion detect.

In a vehicle, if connected via a Voltage Sensitive switch - your battery would be safe, but it should carry on working for about 3 weeks between charges.

I've been thinking about the dead-bolt idea (with a bit of help from one of you!). A relatively easy solution would be a single bolt consisting of a rod which passes up the B post side of the window frame, through a hole in the top, which engages with a hole in the frame. At the bottom of the rod, you just have a central locking actuator such as the ones from Maplin.

It might be possible to use a bell crank to operate bolts in the sides too - but I think this is getting a bit complicated. Better to disconnect the lock mechanism from the outside and fit a separate central locking actuator instead, then connect both in parallel so they operate together.

Use a separate remote control (Amazon sell remote relays for about £10 - which are surprisingly good), but also bring the wires to a hidden socket somewhere so if the remote fails, you can apply power directly to the actuators to unlock in an emergency.

With separate actuators, the lock button on the inside of the vehicle is independent - so smashing the window and pulling the button will not unlock the door.

I think the hinges are best protected using security bolts in to the frame. Buy four different types for each of the bolts. It's unlikely they will have a key for all of them! A final option for that would be little machined caps which you hammer over the bolt head / into the hole in the hinge. Then they would only be removable with a drill.

This would mean that every way to open the door will be noisy (smash window / drill / grinder) at the very least! I think the bolts in to the door are fairly safe if the nuts are replaced with NyLoks.

Off to do a bit of machining!

Si

Before you go messing round with cameras and the like, think about resolution. Standard CCTV Cameras are nowhere near good enough these days, the evidence they provide is very poor.

Here's a still off my CCTV the other day:

greenpeacegirl.jpg

And here's another still off an older CCTV camera:

cellarcctv.jpg

As you can see, there's a world of difference between the two, the first is a megapixel camera, the second simply a VGA camera.

yeh, our office got a spangly new "high tech" CCTV system installed, with internet connectivity and about 20 cameras all connected to a digital recorder.

Sounds fantastic, till we had some pikeys drive into the yard (during the day!) and lift some stuff, and realised the cameras resolution was so carp you couldnt even read the number plates off the van, even though there was a camera pointing right at it as it drove thru the gate. Complete waste of money.

Decent high res ones are expensive though :(

Cyperprog: What camera is that you have on your house?

yeh, our office got a spangly new "high tech" CCTV system installed, with internet connectivity and about 20 cameras all connected to a digital recorder.

Sounds fantastic, till we had some pikeys drive into the yard (during the day!) and lift some stuff, and realised the cameras resolution was so carp you couldnt even read the number plates off the van, even though there was a camera pointing right at it as it drove thru the gate. Complete waste of money.

Decent high res ones are expensive though :(

Cyperprog: What camera is that you have on your house?

Sounds like a standard resolution system really, you should consider suing the people who installed it - they will have insurance for failure to perform, if they specified and fitted the system and it didn't do what it was designed for, then they're liable.

It's a Vivotek unit, about £500ish quid, installed a load for a client and wound up buying one myself cos I was so impressed :)

• 2 weeks later...