The "pass the bucket" crazy/dumb/idiot ideas/LR creations

o_teunico

bloody hell i cant leave them for 5 mins before more pictures are taken...... :ph34r: they are at Milners for some shaft sized loveliness....mmm shiny Dan.

Soren.. they do you the main gears but with vastly improved internals, bearings etc. Fingers crossed they will be spot on !!!

Anybody have any info on CTIS for mog axles please??

I'm a magpie for shiney stuff! trev was a little bemused the weren't new to me.

All that cnc lovelyness and you haven't built in air paths for ctis??

On the stock 404 you can drill the portal box backing plate and machine the hub bolt to take a rotory coupling, hardest part is keeping the pipe safe.

What steering angle are aiming for Nathan? are you running a dc joint? the sneak peak i had looked like 3330 ujoints??

Sounds like a good setup! Certainly the main gears are quite strong, and all the other stuff that people seem to have trouble with has been changed. So should work quite well. Another thing, in the obvious desire for extreme steering lock, why not keep mog cv setup? Too weak or?

Sounds like a good setup! Certainly the main gears are quite strong, and all the other stuff that people seem to have trouble with has been changed. So should work quite well. Another thing, in the obvious desire for extreme steering lock, why not keep mog cv setup? Too weak or?

The stock cv will turn to around 48 degrees and the can be clearanced to 52 degrees

They do break, well they kind of auto disassemble then chew themselves up. and i find them quite awfull to keep greased up properly

i think i prefer my own version :ph34r:

attachicon.gifIMG_0275 (3).JPG

Hopefully the rear of the portal can be developed to bolt to any axle case?

Those portal boxes are a real work of art Nathan. Has it been established beyond reasonable doubt that it is the standard boxes fail first, causing the gears to misalign and break? Or do the gears break first and push the box apart?

Thanks for the praise but it really was a team effort and i will pass the praise onto my friend Steve who did the work out his normal working hours to keep the costs down,and keep his own little business going.

From what 'ive seen the boxes fail in a number of ways really. The cases really don't like an impact along the base... ( as do most things really !!) the quality of the bearings is also a weak spot, thus i have up-rated all 4 bearings in mine. Also improved the oil capacity too. I am also going to be running a different type of gear oil to keep the temperature down once the gears have bedded in.

The ACM joints i will be using in the open knuckle parts of the spidertrax axles provide a true 50deg of lock....... front and rear?

The truck has taken so long to develop that I will have to practice for a good while before i enter any comps,..... ( I;d look a right prat in this truck if forst time out i popped it on its roof ??)

We can only try??

Those portal boxes are a real work of art Nathan. Has it been established beyond reasonable doubt that it is the standard boxes fail first, causing the gears to misalign and break? Or do the gears break first and push the box apart?
My experience is the boxes break first, they are just too brittle.

My friend has welded on some weps portal box braces this has slowed his ability to break boxes.

I have followed these guys http://74weld.com/ on pirate one of the guys running them has broken a set of gears still, but the box was undamaged.

• 2 weeks later...

Beeing unemployed is not good, but has some advantages...like spare time for thinking about how to improve a Land Rover.

This time I have been thinking about how could I move engine cooling and aircon radiators to the back of a bobbed Disco without loosing all the luggage space.

In the 70´ PEGASO produced a new cab for their heavy weight range. It was a cab-over-engine or forward control type. Cab was fixed, not tilting, and there was no removable engine cover inside. Instead they created a hinged radiator that was used as a "door" for the engine compartment. Here some pictures I have taken from episode 1 of TV series from the early seventies "LOS CAMIONEROS" ("The truckers")

loscamionerostverad1.jpgloscamionerostverad2.jpg

loscamionerostverad3.jpgloscamionerostverad4.jpgloscamionerostverad5.jpg

loscamionerostverad6.jpgloscamionerostverad7.jpgloscamionerostverad8.jpg

My crazy idea is to use the PEGASO layout by removing the glass from the tailgate and place there the radiators. A panel will be added to tailgate to isolate radiators from cars interior. Will that work or some kind of lateral scoops will be neede to aid airflow?

Other posibility is to place radiators flat in the roof.

51888850.jpg

When moving radiators so far from engine, should the water pump need some kind of reinforcement?

That's a tough call ! Luggage and bob tail............

In the rear window hole, with the duct taking air from over the roof, like a comper?

What screws mine up is the total depth of ducting front and back. A suction fan on the outside of the rad isn't a secible solution. So I'm thinking rad in the rear window, 30 degree duct in front of the rad up to the roof, with some sort of seal, so half the duct goes with the door. Then a hole in the roof with the fan in it and a scoop on top. If the electric fan is on the outside of the roof panel sealed with mastic it will deter water rushing in.

Water pump should be okay. So far no one has been heard to need a bigger one, as the pipe work underneath adds cooling surface area.

BAD NEWS! :angry2:

I have just recived an e-mail from the engineering company I contacted some time ago to see the possibilities of making the whole thing road legal.

Apparently there has been another change in spanish regulatiuons and bodywork moddifications are much more restricted. Something as simple as a two door Rangie converted to pick-up/Ute will be nearly impossible (at least at a reasonable price) to make road legal.

That's a tough call ! Luggage and bob tail............

The perfect car for me will be a Discovery with rear engine, nearly no front or rear overhang and seven seats. Roughly a Land Rover Multipla!

As said, law and regulation will make such a car nearly impossible to be road legal.

discobus.jpgFiat_Multipla_600.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

Some times you see a picture that becomes a real inspiration...and I have just seen a Volvo V40 body on a Disco chassis in the "Pass the bucket" thread that has showed me how could I lift and fit big tyres in a Landy while lowering the overall height.

Some years ago Bill (van Snorkle) asked for a method of lowering the overall height without loosing belly clearance, and someone talked about a Ford KA body on RR chassis.

Don´t get me wrong, I love Land Rover´s body, but I really will need something lower.

What other examples are out there?

I will love a 4 door saloon, where I could use boots lid as a "ute" plattform

Overfinch Strangerover http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=13308 is extreamly good looking thig, as well as E-Type from MANTRA

Just some that I have seen while surfing the web

dtuy.jpg

ae9af8ba.jpg

Dsc00007.jpgfs_os2best_pic.jpg4x4project.jpg163801.jpgl.jpg423.jpg

I like the Jag, red MG and the P5. Those don't look like they simply stuck a different body shell on top of the chassis. Some of the others are not that much lower than a landy body.

But also think you shouldn't do that to a nice car like the P5.

I´m with you. Those three just look as a factory built "thing".

A cheap, easy to obtain and appropiate body donnor could be an early Rover 75. It´s a car with a very rigid body (more than any BMW said magazines when it was launched) and will be in the same "family" with the Disco chassis,

roverlimolr.jpg

The Rover P5 is elegantly discreet.The Jag would be too if all the exterior gadgets were removed. The red MG with that long bonnet and lydown seat position wouldn't be easy to drive offroad, where you have to carefully read the terrain. I suspect all three vehicles just use LandRover/RangeRover components attached to their original subframes instead of being plonked on Landy chassis.

All the other vehicles pictured are ugly shockers that look taller and to have a higher centre of gravity than original Landy/Rangeys anyway.

The jaguar uses a fiberglass body, not a real Jag one, the red MG looks like Suzuki chassis (leafer, front shackles, five studs...) and P5 used a 110 chassis with RR running gear + corvette engine. Body was channeled to lowering it into the LR chassis.

Rover 75, like P5, has 110" wheelbase. Maybe a Rover 45 will suit better the 100" Disco chassis.

I posted a picture of the V40 bodied Discovery chassis to a spanish engineering company and I have just recived their answer:

En teoría un cambio de carrocería es homoloogable.

Pero sin duda este de la foto tiene muchas coss ncorrectas que lo ahcen inviable.

Que pueda arreglarse hasta ser homologable, quizás, pero sin duda no quedaría como se ve en esa foto.
I theory a body swap can be made road-legal.

That one of the pic has many incorrect things that makes it unable to be road-legal.

It could be fixed to make it road-legal, but certainly it will not look like in that picture.

I supose that those wheel arches so far from the wheel and maybe ligth height will be some issues. Bur at least the is a chance... :i-m_so_happy:

I have also discovered that the idea of using the boot lid as ute plattform is nothing new...it´s a P6 Rover

Rover_P6_osb_2.jpg

There are lots of cheapo body donnors out there! Most about 350-500Eur. This Rover 45, with head gasket failure but still running and with perfect body, just 400Eur. Repairing my brother´s Disco body will cost more than that!

45400e.png

If you want a lower body, can you not just chop a few inches out of the RR body, 2 above and 2 below the waistline maybe? Something like that and you should be abl to be a stealthy go faster looking RRC...

Unfortunately spanish regulations are very strict with roof modiffications. For example, in a RR tou cannot chop roof and "C" post to make it a pick-up truck, but you could swap the entire body if you use another one from a factory pick-up.

I have just realized that I will need a body with a wheelbase that will be shorter than 100" if I want to make it easy to fit with some 35" tyres, just enlarging wheelarches closer to bumpers. I want 4/5 doors and I think that a five door Rover 100 with a Metro 6R4 body kit will make an excellent offroader (nearly no front or rear overhang) and will be easy to park...and also an extrme good looking thing!

The 90" wheelbase body is one full metre shorter than the Discovery.

C455B39B.jpg

Finished it will look like a Rally Safari spec Metro 6R4!

This other beauty is the Maestro van testing mule that Rover developed for early Freelander drivetrain tests.

cb40mule.jpg