Midlife crisis? What should I sell my Disco for?

Tetsu0san

I was driving the Disco the other day and I suddenly decided that I think I want something else. Not sure what, but I just feel that I have had enough Discovery's to justify getting something else.

On my drive into work this morning I was thinking of a 110. I quite fancy a double cab with a pickup back, or maybe even a station wagon. Also it turns out my Dad may be selling his Pajero SWB. This is a lovely car, automatic and reliable. However, I have had an Isuzu before and although the Jap stuff is great, it just doesn't have any soul. They are just cars.

So what should I do? Should I just keep the Disco? It's a 200Tdi with a body lift, snorkel, heavy duty bumpers, QT diff guards, tank guard and detachable tow ball, full length roof rack, suspension lift and only 118K on the clock. Or should I sell it as it is and use the cash to get a 110? Or perhaps get something different altogether? I have a shortlist (all of these should be a solid front axle drivetrain, apart from the Pajero):

• Toyota Hilux (not surf)
  • Pajero
  • Jeep Wrangler
  • Toyota Land Cruiser (old one)
  • Nissan Patrol (old one)

I like the idea of the 110 as it is rugged, big enough to fit the family and the dogs in the back with loads of room to spare. But I know they hold their value and I don't know if a Disco will generate enough cash to buy something worthwhile. And although I don't mind getting my hands dirty, I did enough welding on my old 90 to put me off welding for life!

So, what should I do? I welcome your advice.

I thought about a series, and it would probably be OK, but I don't know if I want leaf springs again. I had an old 109 Series 2a years ago and although it was fun it wasn't really practical for me. Also the turning circle was carp and it had a 2.286 engine in it which isn't what I am wanting now. I kinda want modern-ish technology for comfort and reliability.

I think if I was honest my ideal car would be a coil sprung tax exempt something-or-other with a Tdi engine, but that might be a little more difficult to find. Saving £225 a year would go a long way to keeping it running...

Well I'm glad you're still thinking of a green oval model.

Defenders are indeed cool, but come at a financial premium.

Also it sounds like you have been used to the more comfortable models, how long will the novelty of a Defender last for you?

That is indeed a good point. I sold my 90 as I couldn't put up with the noise, cold, leaking doors, *insert your own defender annoyances here* and I liked the Discovery for comfort and quietness. Maybe I am just not feeling the love at the moment as I know I have a few leaks to attend to on the Disco and you just feel like you are always chasing some problem or another on a green oval.

But there is something about the Landy's that keep you coming back and I just can't explain it. Not sure if it's love or just trapped wind.

It realy depends on what you use it for, I gave up the comfort of a Range Rover for my 110 as I needed both the space and the extra off road ability the 110 gave. I also have a car for running about though.

If it's your daily driver I think you may get tired of a 110, as much as I do love mine.

How about a Freelander td4, suprisingly capable. Disco 2 td5, now very affordable. Classic Range Rover, truly classic, I'd have another.

As for Jap stuff, boring reliability with some terrible parts prices if stuff does go wrong.

Have you got a motorbike licence ? A Harley-Davidson would do it for me if I had the money.

This would not be my daily driver, the Disco is only a toy really and is not used all the time. I have a Picasso as my daily driver and my Wife has an old MX5 which I am in the process of getting MOT'd, so a little soft top sports car for next summer is already covered. I also have a motorbike.

I don't know what's going on. Should I get a ponytail and a mistress instead?

This would not be my daily driver, the Disco is only a toy really and is not used all the time. I have a Picasso as my daily driver and my Wife has an old MX5 which I am in the process of getting MOT'd, so a little soft top sports car for next summer is already covered. I also have a motorbike.

I don't know what's going on. Should I get a ponytail and a mistress instead?

Mistress yes, ponytail would be acceptable but a Mullet is a big no no!!

It is ok, I too am thinking I might be better off with something boringly reliable and more efficient and I am yet to turn a wheel on tarmac with my Disco :o

A Freelander 2 is very nice!! Defenders have an elbow walloping annoyance for me which will only be overcome by a wheelbase in excess of 127" :moglite:

Mistress yes, ponytail would be acceptable but a Mullet is a big no no!!

It is ok, I too am thinking I might be better off with something boringly reliable and more efficient and I am yet to turn a wheel on tarmac with my Disco :o

A Freelander 2 is very nice!! Defenders have an elbow walloping annoyance for me which will only be overcome by a wheelbase in excess of 127" :moglite:

Still bloody welding mine back together....

This kind of thing seems to be infectious - I've just sold my passat, and seem to be buying a triumph spitfire... Still, it does mean I'll have a soft-top for that one afternoon of summer.

We too have a Spitty, a MK 1V. was nice but its sat in the garage for prob 5 years now, needs a new spring. NOT that much fun , and quite scary on the open road, looking UP at lorry chassis as they pass you by.!

I don't know. I suppose I get tired of something, sell it and then regret selling it. I kind of regret selling the 90 but dieseldog69 reminded me that I really really hated the lack of elbow room more than anything. So perhaps a 110 would not be a good idea.

But I saw a nice 110 on the way home today, white van, lifted, wide wheels, snorkel etc. Looked awesome!

Perhaps I will wait. The best things come to those who wait (apparently).

We too have a Spitty, a MK 1V. was nice but its sat in the garage for prob 5 years now, needs a new spring. NOT that much fun , and quite scary on the open road, looking UP at lorry chassis as they pass you by.!

Been there, done that sort of - TR7 V8 convertible, properly sorted, but those wheel nuts and sitting in diesel fumes....

I don't know. I suppose I get tired of something, sell it and then regret selling it. I kind of regret selling the 90 but dieseldog69 reminded me that I really really hated the lack of elbow room more than anything. So perhaps a 110 would not be a good idea.

But I saw a nice 110 on the way home today, white van, lifted, wide wheels, snorkel etc. Looked awesome!

Perhaps I will wait. The best things come to those who wait (apparently).

My mid life crisis led me to a NCF Sahara, using our old mechanically perfect Disco and rebuilding for longevity we should have the best of both worlds - 100" wheelbase (no IVA), Disco cabin and comfort, Defender(ish) looks. Light weight so the 300 TDi should give adequate(ish) performance with simple mechanicals, and Nick will build pretty much what you want. We'll keep the Disco and, perhaps, the 90 but that depends on how good a job I do on the Sahara!

Been there, done that sort of - TR7 V8 convertible, properly sorted, but those wheel nuts and sitting in diesel fumes....

My mid life crisis led me to a NCF Sahara, using our old mechanically perfect Disco and rebuilding for longevity we should have the best of both worlds - 100" wheelbase (no IVA), Disco cabin and comfort, Defender(ish) looks. Light weight so the 300 TDi should give adequate(ish) performance with simple mechanicals, and Nick will build pretty much what you want. We'll keep the Disco and, perhaps, the 90 but that depends on how good a job I do on the Sahara!

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not too bothered by the fumes and wheelnuts, I rarely sit in traffic down here, and my trips into citys are rare. I'm happy being a bumpkin! Most of the driving I do is going further south and back up. I'm just worried about the volume of landy bits I can fit in a sports car... It's that or a hot estate car, but that's just not as fun! I'm also suffering from lack-of-softtop since the landy's been off the road, and an estate car won't solve that.

Still bloody welding mine back together....

You and me both Jeff, wanna have a tenner on it who gets through the MOT first :hysterical::hysterical:

But I had a drive in an Evoque today, only way to describe it would be a Mini cross bred with the incredible hulk on steroids, admittedly it has just come out of a tuning shop for a pep up but very suitable if you got spare pocket money?

Whenever I've had something other than a Defender I've always got bored and gone back to a Defender. I've had six, 2 90s, a 110 Double Cab and 3 110 CSWs. I find the 110 to be the best for an all round vehicle for me. Totally practical and maes you smile.