Something I just found.

Nigelw

Sorry had a day of rebuilding two axles and thoroughly enjoyed something I don't normally do and upon seeing this I just fell in love with it for the machanicals. mods feel free to alter but I do love this thing for the center diff!!

Prefer not to have a viscous coupling in the Tbox TBH hence why I liked the auto locking center diff.

Sorry having extreme mental blocking today, and the wife says I am behaving like a child, I am blaming the solvents in the parts washer :hysterical::rofl::rofl:

I have to say, my borg warner's been brilliant, fairly well abused and still great, and the fact it just works with no fuss is pleasing. I can see where you're coming from wanting this (although for £790 you could just buy another truck and pull yourself out!), it's good when things just work in the background. Although, when you get in your mate's wagon and forget that theirs doesn't do it all by magic, and get stuck, you look a bit of a tit...

Put a KAM Forged cross shaft in a std one, and then lock it

Stronger than std and cheap mod

LSD centre diff is the same thing around a Locker vs a LSD ...

Nige

You sure I can do this on an LT230? (no am not questioning your word!!) Just can't find it on the WWW.

Quite a bit more expensive than the Ashcroft one: http://ashcrofttransmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=381

And although I must admit Quaife sounds very sexy (I would love one of their ATB diffs for my Esprit!), I have been very pleased with Ashcroft gear in my Landies, especially their recent locking diffs. So I don't see why anyone would pay double the money...

The main advantage over a Borg Warner would be the ability to manually lock it completely if desired (the Quaife site doesn't mention this, but if it's a direct replacement for the open diff the locking function should remain operable). That and the LT230 being a stronger box, with no chain that can stretch.

Filip

Also, Borg Warner, you can get different ratio output sprockets, which lower your overall ratio, and this affects low and high box, which is advantageous when using larger tyres off road, especially when on a manual box.

If the viscous coupling fails, they seize, which means they are fully locked up, fine for off-road, not so good for on(!)

They are tough, probably not LT230 tough, but very good.

As no one has mentioned this yet, the BW viscous box is not the same dimensions as the LT230T. Certainly one, (front I think) prop length needs changing.

In its favour, it is quieter running that the gear driven 230...

...but the only ones I have experienced have both failed in the locked up state. This is no good on a road going truck.

Yup, front prop is longer as the viscous unit is narrower than the LT230 diff. Front prop is required from late RRC (possibly only the auto, can't remember if the manuals got the LT230 or not).

My work mate has a Quaife in his VW gearbox and he says it 'pushes on' round corners on the race track with slicks. So it might reduce the shunting turning circle? I really like them though, but I would want to try one before I splashed the cash. For offroading the turning circle has to be better than fully locked :)

I really liked the one way clutch of the 1948 series one. It gave you turning circle on hard stuff and 4x4 going forward on the slippy stuff. It was limited on torque though. And no 4x4 backward unlocked. So never somthing for nothing ;)