The all-new Range Rover Sport is pushed to new limits

Hi,

I would like to introduce myself - My name is Lee. I am writing to you on behalf of Land Rover in the UK to share with you all an exciting new project from Land Rover HQ: the all-new Range Rover Sport and The Driven Challenges.

The Driven Challenges will push the all-new Range Rover Sport to new limits in a series of the most punishing drives on earth. Here’s the trailer for a taste of what's to come:

(
).

In the first challenge the all-new Range Rover Sport takes on Pike’s Peak, tackling the 12.6 mile hill climb and over 4,720ft of vertical climb with 156 hair-raising turns. This drive is not for the faint hearted (See image). I wanted you to be among the first to hear about this and follow the challenge.

You can find more info here: newrangeroversport.com/challenges and follow the challenge on the Land Rover social channels: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/landrover & Twitter: @LandRover #DrivenChallenges

Many thanks,

Lee

post-66115-0-54590800-1370524491_thumb.jpg

post-66115-0-73893600-1370530145_thumb.jpg

You'd think their social meeja spamc**ts would sound less like a robotic PR-droid or Nigerian scammer... "Dear LR4x4 users, I have an exciting business opportunity I wanted you to be the first to hear about first!"

Also - Lee, I'd recommend posting this on www.b3ta.com/links, they love this sort of thing.

It does have a certain spamtasic feel about it :rofl: ....and its Fugly..... and chavy...

and so complex prob jaw droppingly unrelaible even by Land Rover standards ....

.....but the chavs and MILFs will love it :moglite:

Can you tell I'm underwelmed ? :D

maybe this will get Land Rover off the 35th position (of 35 manufactuers) of the JD Power Reliablity survey ?.....

Then I might buy one ....

Yeah, me too :rofl:

Nige

ooh that's the video I was hoping someone would post up , Fridge

Indeed a driving God , flat out into the sun on dirt hairpins :i-m_so_happy: uphill

As for the RRS , maybe doing a Grand Tourism entry or two in some of the eastern Europe/Baltic states would be more

convincing ?

...or doing the Pikes Peak dirt bike hillclimb route :huh:

cheers

Steveb

Lee - Welcome to LR4x4.

Unfortunately, the video just says "An error has occurred, please try later" - I'm sure this is just a problem with the damp string that connects me to the Internet and not a reflection on the new RRS ;)

Si

Lee, I presume this initiative is in some way a more modern version of the Camel trophy and the G4 Challenge. are these challenges also open to the public like the Camel trophy and G4 used to be?

Daan

I thought the video might actually contain, y'know, some driving or something.

Oh well, to get over the disappointment, have some proper Pikes Peak action by a driving God:

On of my favourite videos of all time. Driving like that with the sun in his eyes, one handed while blocking the sun with the other. A real driving god.

Pikes peak is still a good race, but nothing is the same now its paved to the top.

So the title:

"The all-new Range Rover Sport is pushed to new limits"

should read:

The all-new Range Rover Sport will be driven up a tarmac hill, but not now. Please be excited in advance and like us on facebook anyway."

Bill Hicks was right about marketing.

If you want a viral video, lend me a new RRS next weekend and I'll take it to Seven Sisters with as many cameras as I can find. Or get your PR guys to bring one.

Well as was proved a couple of years ago a factory standard (if my memory serves me correctly, others please correct me if I'm wrong as it was a while ago!) 110 SW can drive up the waterfall at Walters Arena without any issues - I wonder if the RRS could do that :P

I wonder if the RRS could do that :P

I'd put money on it! I used to think like you - but having seen them off road, properly, I'm nothing but surprised & impressed with the capability of the vehicles. The biggest problem with them is peoples expectations - not with the vehicles.

Granted, some of the bodywork is a bit vulnerable - but hay, it will hammer out! ;)

Si

I don't doubt it could do it in terms of technical ability, the computer systems are very clever and will outperform earlier "manual" traction systems easily.

I think in the particular case of the waterfall it might fall foul with ground clearance and approach angles though. But as you say bodywork can be seen as expendable ;)

Imagine you were a drug dealer sitting in your RRS (for some reason you are at the bottom of the waterfall) and the cops are chasing you - I think you would find a way of getting to the top! You might have to sacrifice your spinners and some of the under-body blue lights - but that's a price worth paying for your get-away! ;)

Si

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to let you know that yesterday the all-new Range Rover Sport set the record for a production SUV taking on Pikes Peak, covering the 12.6 Miles and 156 turns in only 12 minutes 35.61 seconds.The record was independently timed and sanctioned by PPIHC (Pikes Peak International Hill Climb).
You can see the full story of the first Driven Challenge unfold through the Land Rover Facebook photo gallery: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151704352568552.1073741842.10369058551&type=1
You can also see the full action and the drama next month in the final film...Watch this space….

Have a great weekend.

Well as was proved a couple of years ago a factory standard (if my memory serves me correctly, others please correct me if I'm wrong as it was a while ago!) 110 SW can drive up the waterfall at Walters Arena without any issues - I wonder if the RRS could do that :P

I can't remember the guys name, but someone took at 110 Utility up there I think? Richard took a pretty much standard (other than the bobtail) range rover up there too.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give you an update on the all-new Range Rover Sport Driven Challenge - conquering Pikes Peak setting the fastest ever time for a production SUV on this iconic hill climb.

Ahead of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb race on Sunday, here's a glimpse of the all-new Range Rover Sport first Driven Challenge video:

You can tune in to RedBull.Tv on 30 June at 14:40 BST to watch the full Pikes Peak Driven Challenge documentary as part of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb race (http://www.ppihc.com/)

More information about future challenges can be found here: newrangeroversport.com/challenges

Have a great weekend.