Thinking of selling up

Troddenmasses

With my wife going back to uni, I am now working 7 days per week (2 jobs) and will be for the next year or so. The 90 hasn't turned a wheel for the last month, and before that I haven't had time to tinker with it for about the last 6 months. I could really do with a cash injection at the moment, so am thinking about selling up. The question is how to get the most money. Should I take all of the bits off and sell them seperately, or sell it as a whole? The vehicle is a 1992 200tdi 90 in reasonable condition. Attached to it are:

X9 winch on a strong winch bumper

full external/internal roll cage (welded in)

sand ladders

Mobile storage systems lockable cubby box

detroit rear locker

mantec spare wheel carrier

lots of bits and bobs in the back.

I could take off the winch bumper and pop on a new normal bumper. I could take out the detroit, and replace it with the standard diff centre that I have in the garage. I could sell the sand ladders and mantec spare wheel carrier.

The problem is the cage. If I removed it, I would have holes in the front wings, and 12* 12mm holes in the roof where the front/top part bolts to the internal hoop. I would then have gaping holes in the floor. I suppose I could plate the floor and replace the roof, but would it be worth it?

Alternatively, I could just try selling the whole lot to somebody who wants an off roader.

What does the collective mind of the forum think please????

I would have thought your better off leaving the cage one it.

I would buy a landy with a cage if I needed it (some may like the look of it also?), but buying one with loads of holes in it may well put the most capable of people off it. after all, its easy to find a 90 with no holes in the roof etc...

Take of fancy bits & sell them, sell vehicle with cage fitted......

thats what I'd do......unless you think you'll get more with the off-road gear still attached, and have you got the time to swap the bits over? (7-day week etc...)?

Good luck with the sale.

Jas

take the lockable cubby box out and put in normal box or a seat back in...

I would like one of them again.. - shouldn't of sold my one... but hey ho...

the diff - remove that if you can, sell seperate - I got 275 for my one, a few years back, just in the casing.

the winch - -erm prob leave it on I reckon. unless they offer a daft price for the motor, at which point take it off and sell seperate, but its prob only worth a few hundred.

Mantec - nice piece of kit, but if you remove leaves another hole in it, keep that on I reckon.

sell the sand ladders,

what are the bits in the boot - are you likely to repurchase a LR, in which case keep them for later. It'll cost you more to re-purchase them at a later date.

just my pennies worth.

ps- if you do sell the cubby box - give me a pm, I may be interested.

I would have thought your better off leaving the cage one it.

I would buy a landy with a cage if I needed it (some may like the look of it also?), but buying one with loads of holes in it may well put the most capable of people off it. after all, its easy to find a 90 with no holes in the roof etc...

Take of fancy bits & sell them, sell vehicle with cage fitted......

thats what I'd do......unless you think you'll get more with the off-road gear still attached, and have you got the time to swap the bits over? (7-day week etc...)?

Good luck with the sale.

Jas

Place it in the mags but you will be supprised how good Auto trader and freeadds are.

The adverte will make or brake the sale so word it carfully.

You need to atract the right person who wants a off roader and is prepaired to pay good money for a good truck.

I find you never get top money selling on the forums which is why I don't sell much on them any more.

I have found some grate cars being sold very cheap because the advert was carp and the seller had got no interset.

Or as Jez said sell the wife

I would say keep the cage, snorkel, winch, mantec, and sell the rest seperately. You could advertise it with or without the locker at a different price?

Shame you are selling. :(

Les. :)

Yes - is a real shame. I enjoy just about everything to do with Land Rovers - especially this forum. When my wife goes back to work, I will be able to give up the weekend job (running the local B+Q) and will be able to get another landy. I have to make the ends meet somehow until then though.

take the lockable cubby box out and put in normal box or a seat back in...

I would like one of them again.. - shouldn't of sold my one... but hey ho...

the diff - remove that if you can, sell seperate - I got 275 for my one, a few years back, just in the casing.

the winch - -erm prob leave it on I reckon. unless they offer a daft price for the motor, at which point take it off and sell seperate, but its prob only worth a few hundred.

Mantec - nice piece of kit, but if you remove leaves another hole in it, keep that on I reckon.

sell the sand ladders,

what are the bits in the boot - are you likely to repurchase a LR, in which case keep them for later. It'll cost you more to re-purchase them at a later date.

just my pennies worth.

ps- if you do sell the cubby box - give me a pm, I may be interested.

i have a centre seat to add back in if need be - £25 never sat on removed for a poxy cubby

i'd advertise it as it is... then you could remove bits if the buyer didn't want them... it sounds like its a good spec for a green lane/ starting-in-the-winch-challenge-world type machine, and might be the start of a project for someone to realy get stuck into....

Trodden

Might have a centre seat gong spare if you want it. Took it out to fit a cubby box. I'll check tomorrow and if you want it you can have it. Standard black vinyl 90 centre seat. Don't have the lap belt anymore as this went to someone on the forum a while ago.

Cheers

Ivan

Trodden,

I sold my quite well spec'd truck earlier in the year (and I'm still gutted about it). It went complete with virtually everything I'd bought for it over the previous few years. I'm now at the point where I'm starting to think about building a new challenge truck. I wished that I had taken off alot of the goodies before I sold the old vehicle because I've now got to try and find the money to reivest in parts.

My advice would that if you know you're going to get another truck at some point, strip off as much as possible (with exception to the cage) and sell for a slightly lower price.

Dave

makes sense - what he says...

I have a centre seat - - nice and neat, and its in grey all yours if you want.. I'll do you a deal.. for the box :) wont cost you a penny.

Trodden,

I sold my quite well spec'd truck earlier in the year (and I'm still gutted about it). It went complete with virtually everything I'd bought for it over the previous few years. I'm now at the point where I'm starting to think about building a new challenge truck. I wished that I had taken off alot of the goodies before I sold the old vehicle because I've now got to try and find the money to reivest in parts.

My advice would that if you know you're going to get another truck at some point, strip off as much as possible (with exception to the cage) and sell for a slightly lower price.

Dave

I know you were saying about money being tight and getting another in a year or so. I hit some hard times a while back and my landy of ten years looked like it needed to be sold. I did the same thing priced it all up selling off the off road gear apart from the motor.

In the end I mothballed it all and got it back out a year later, saved myself a fortune cos you never get what they cost in money and time to create the monster.

My advice for what its worth is try to keep hold of it, especially if you are thinking of getting another later on, park it up protect all you can on the car and come back to it when you can afford it.

But what ever you decided good luck with your efforts.

Stick the lot on ebay as is with an acceptable reserve!

I sold a tricked out 50th on ebay a couple of years ago for 15.5K the bloke just came down with a bankers draft from london had a coffee and drove it away!

have to agree with dlander; I had a job opportunity abroad and went for it. The landy was parked up with a good friend, and 16 months later I was back and happy to drive it again. For me the thought of having it is probably more important than actually driving it.

Daan

Pah - you'll not get that much for it and it'll cost you more than you save. Remember last time? Look where that truck ended up. You and I both know you'll only see the purchase price again, so the cage, winch etc will be wasted, and you'll be no richer in 6 months time if I gave you £10k for it now... Mothball it if you have to (I know a good place for storage) and revisit it in a year.

And next time, don't you dare wait till I'm on holiday before posting musings like this...