Myford ML7 Lathe how much for?

Maverik

Hi Guys, I've seen a Myford ML7 lathe for sale quite local to me, its looks tidy and in good working condition with a couple of extra chucks and a few tools, I've had a search about for what's a sensible price but would like the forum's opinion on the matter.

Cheers

Mav

$T2eC16Z,!wsE9suwyRJ!BR4W3h3obg~~48_80.J

They seem to change hands from about £400 for a ropey one up to £1500 for something shiny in really good order. Average seems around £700.

That one looks not bad. The cab / stand is good, but would be better if it had a drip-tray (easy to fab one up). It has the lead screw & thread cutting gearbox which is great. You have to swap gears to give the different thread pitches which is more of a PITA than the later quick change gearbox - but perfectly do-able.

Si

Hey Si, I hoped you'd reply as I remember you had one of these or at least I'm sure a topic started about Myfords... anywhoo the chap wants £850 for it, I think its a bit steep... so might try put in a cheeky offer.

Good machines, but for my money I'd look for a Super 7, or better still a Boxford. Myford accessories are expensive now, genuine anyway, and although lacking the top speed, my Boxford is I feel are far tougher machine with much more grunt.

Loads of them, parts new and used and suitable tools on e-bay - worth a look even if just to see what's around.

Myford have a web site - and sell parts and books for them.

Search carefully and manuals can be downloaded - as can gear calculators and things.

Tooling costs money - so worth seeing of any can be included.

Some form of quick-change tool holder is useful - saves shimming the things every time you change the tool.

I wouldnt pay too much for it,even if its local. I have had use of my fathers ML7 for the last 30 odd years.A couple of years ago I bought a virtually unused Colchester Student 1800 gap bed. Admittedly I paid good money,£2000 - but its light years ahead,there is no way I'd give it up for the ML7.

Save up and buy a decent Colchester or Harrison.

My first Lathe was a Super 7 and I loved it! An ML7 is not much different. My current CNC lathe is much better, technically, but it's like the difference between a Defender & a Range Rover. It's the quirkyness and adaptability that made it a joy to own. I was very sad when I sold it to someone (on here) and have no doubt I'll buy another one one day!

It's surprising what a Myford will cope with and what it's capable of. Tooling is cheap and there is plenty available both new & second hand. Everybody sells chucks that fit out of the box - whereas for my CNC I have to buy a back plate & machine it to fit the chuck as nobody makes them to just fit.

I would deffo haggle with the seller - but it's not an outrageous price, particularly if there is a reasonable amount of tooling with it.

Si

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Myford identical to that except I don't have the proper stand. It dates from 1949 and still going strong however given the choice I too would get something bigger (my ML7 was a freebie as was all seized up from many years in a leaking shed). My friend has a Denford Viceroy (I think) which is about a third bigger than the myford but makes a real difference on capacity. I wanted to turn a groove in a 1 1/8" tube yesterday and it won't fit throught the chuck on the myford so went round his and did job in 2 mins.

near or far makes little difference, the effort is getting loaded and unloaded into a transit sized van ideally (lower load area).

once it's in it's just driving.

For the difference in price and quality it's worth traveling. Like some others say go bigger than a myford if you can, money will be about the same and you will get a lot more in terms of capacity and features.

The myfords (and cowels) are very desired by model engineers and clock makers so this pushes the price up for anything related inc accessories.

My advice would be a boxford A series or a colchester or a southbend, try and get a screwcutting gearbox if you are doing threads later.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boxford-VSL-Lathe-/281144214186?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item41758042aa

i.e as an example nice vsl advertised as being single phase and variable speed. and plenty of kit

I'm away to have a look at this Myford tonight, get a feel for its size, (I may be thinking this thing is bigger in my head than it actually is).

All points taken with regard to cost and moving it etc. Some good advice.

Mav

I have a Myford ML7 and I cant do with out it.

I fabricate a lot of my own stuff and my myford gets used as much as my welders, plasma cutter and pillar drill. I have a small knee mill but i hardly ever use it.

My advice would be get as big and you can fit in your work space. which in my case is a Myford I would like some thing bigger but i don't have the room. But having said that don't under estimate the little myford there is a alot you can do with it, true it might take longer because you don't have the same power to plough through that big bit of billet that you would on a bigger machine. Although this means Myford can also be a more forgiving machine when you get things wrong because it has less power behind it.

Other Myford benefits are tooling is very really available for it turn up to any model engineers fair and you will get almost any thing. Due to its large hobby following there are also lot of info about on how to do stuff, handy if your like me and learn as you go :unsure:

here are few things i have thrown together with the help of my myford..

wide reduced diameter winch drum for my warn 8200

post-1650-0-22302500-1375348682_thumb.jpg

miss-alignment spacers for suspension links

post-1650-0-08985600-1375348888_thumb.jpg

bearing holders

post-1650-0-16685400-1375349027_thumb.jpg

Threaded bungs for suspension links

post-1650-0-97257600-1375349186_thumb.jpg

lots of lathe time went into this aframe.

post-1650-0-52018200-1375349291_thumb.jpg

Suspension bush holder

post-1650-0-61590100-1375349540_thumb.jpg

Bump stop stroke spacers

post-1650-0-32381700-1375349669_thumb.jpg post-1650-0-17114900-1375349726_thumb.jpg

and so on....

Paul

I went to see the Myford last night, and was a little surprised at its actual size. For whatever reason I thought it would be a little bigger, I now see why they're so attractive to model builders.

Well wasn't too impressed with it to be honest, the slide was pretty worn, backlask wasn't too bad on the slides but I found some play in the chuck/head bearings.

Definitely decided I want something a little bigger, so my search continues.

• 4 weeks later...

There are loads around so don't rush it. Be sure you are getting what you want, because once you have it you'll buy loads of other kit for it. Then you'll think ' I wish it was bigger/shinier/newer' whatever. Then you swap it and have to buy all the kit again. A gap bed is good for the likes of us(but make sure the gap is included), some of the ex college/ school lathes are hardly used.

I have a short bed Student 1800 (the later square head type). It's about 5' overall length and weighs in a tad under 800 Kg.

It fits in a single garage without much trouble, but you will need a mate with a Hiab/ tractor and loader to get it in there :)

With its 3HP motor it has a good amount of grunt.

More about the Student here