Vehicle Trailer Towing - 90 or 100 ?

pete110

I tow my 14' ifor with my 90, only ever had one load of logs that caused issues on the motorway but that may have been down to some worn bushes too!

its always easier to reverse a bigger trailer than tow vehicle, that's why artics are so easy to reverse :)

Probably been covered in the links above, but tachos are only needed if your using it for hire or reward, for example you should be exempt if your carrying tools needed as part of your job but not if your delivering some goods, its all a massive grey area though

One advantage of a big distance between rear axle and tow bar is the trailer cuts in less on corners, handy if its a wide one.

Swings and roundabouts :)

I tow with a pickup, there's a huge distance from rear axle to tow bar with almost no weight on its back end and I don't have any stability problems. Reversing is tricky though as the dang thing is so long with such a poor turning circle if you get too much bend on the trailer you can't catch it :S

• 3 weeks later...

A 110 is in my opinion a fair bit more stable than a 90 especially with big loads, I was pretty close to maxing out the 3.5t when I picked up my scrapper 110 and that wasn't a pleasant drive home towing with the 90...

Mav

Hi how does this fit the the Police view of trailer and load must not exceed towing vehicle? Even a 90 towing a 90 on a trailer would not work. I was under the impression that the Police were stopping loads of this type, not just a suggestion?

Marc

Hi how does this fit the the Police view of trailer and load must not exceed towing vehicle? Even a 90 towing a 90 on a trailer would not work. I was under the impression that the Police were stopping loads of this type, not just a suggestion? Marc

Never heard of that view before?! You aren't getting confused with the advisory 85% rule that the Caravan club teach? (Trailer is no more than 85% of the weight of the towing vehicle.)

Interesting comment Marc, there are a few occaisions I am aware of where the Police believe the law says one thing when it actually says something different.

So I don't doubt that what you say is happening, if that is the case you may get stopped, I'd just make sure I was aware of the actual law before towing such a load.

Hi how does this fit the the Police view of trailer and load must not exceed towing vehicle? Even a 90 towing a 90 on a trailer would not work. I was under the impression that the Police were stopping loads of this type, not just a suggestion? Marc

Thinking about it again. That's part of the rules for those who passed their driving test after 1997 who haven't done the trailer test.

• 4 weeks later...

So in a perfect world, a bobtailed 110 would be best then. Having towed extensively with both, I dont think there's that much in it. The long overhang of the 110 negates the advantage of the extra wheelbase, and the 110 isn't that much heavier than the ninety anyway.