Donnington 4x4 show 2014

After all the hype with regards the show and impressive list of 101 exhibitors on the website as well as many clubs that said they were attending it looked like it was going to be a show worth visiting. Except in my opinion it wasn't. Half the exhibitors weren't there and the space was rather cramped and no real seperation of stands. It was like everyone was on top of one another, it also felt very cramped as more people turned up the available room to walk around in became increasingly small and started to feel like a bunch of cattle being hearded. Despite this picked up some nice goodies from raptor engineering but defiantly won't be returning next year with the 200 mile trip plus £10 admission fee each.

i must admit, i wasn't impressed this year! I saw some innovative designs and interesting expensive stuff, but ultimately it was exactly the same as last year.

Half the stands weren't there, I was wondering how they were going to cram all those exhibitors into that relatively small room!

Bought myself some lovely deltatech goodies and a winch rope!

It was good to put a name to a face (Mr Noisy AKA Sam). Your Disco Engine bay was OCD clean!!!

I enjoyed chatting to lots of old friends. There were lots of spendy things I would have liked to buy - but the only thing I ended up with was a retro-fit Waeco seat heater kit from Foundry. I already have one in my 110 - so I know they are good. The drivers seat heater in my Range Rover is bust - and I decided that the easiest way to fix it was with completely new heater pads. I'm going to chuck most of the wiring & switches and just connect it to the original heated seat harness.

I thought it was a great show all things considered. We've decided we are not going to go to Billing as it has got worse & worse over the last few years while Peterborough has got better & better - so I feel it's time to dump Billing & stay at Peterborough.

Si

I second your comment on Sam's engine bay Si.... Amazingly clean and organised.

Nice little show, met a few people I knew, Met Sam.....(And that engine bay) Picked up a few nick-nacks and ideas....

Good day out even if it is a 200 mile round trip + cost of entry....

Neil

We've decided we are not going to go to Billing as it has got worse & worse over the last few years while Peterborough has got better & better - so I feel it's time to dump Billing & stay at Peterborough.

Si

Well based on last years and this winters weather so far you'd need a boat not a stall at Billing anyway....

Whilst Megasquirt would be at home in the deep water at Billing we will also be avioduing it, think the

reputation of it has peeked and prices for stalls are silly, and its now not revered as once was.

Donnington - goes from strength to strength, Steve spent £££££s :lol: :lol: and I bought some bits too including a Luke 3 way spare

wheel rachet clampy thing.

From a business perspective this was financially the best show I have EVER done, sold complete diffs, clutches and solid release units

and wiper washer conversion kist to the point near sold out and that was with the O-so-fastly-cobbled-up-washer-dispay-stand made from

scrap in seconds and painted 1 hr before we packed to leave to go up !! ...go there it had dried and had pliers / lighter / bits stuck to the paint !

Great to have Mr Noisey, as you can see below bit annouyed Sam couldn't be arsed to clean the engine properly :ph34r:

Next year I may plan to take the 90 and chain him to it for the day with 50 tins of cleaning materials and rags :D

Public thanks to Sam for coming and putting up with us all,

On a personal Note I had a fab time, new friends and old,and the event was, in my opinion well organized, very very well attended

and one I will go to again so thanks to Dave if your reading this,.

post-22-0-68538300-1392632412_thumb.jpg post-22-0-83692000-1392632429_thumb.jpg post-22-0-84168100-1392632435_thumb.jpg post-22-0-59864300-1392632441_thumb.jpg post-22-0-75518600-1392632454_thumb.jpg

The Monster tuning truck was the piggest ugly thing I have recently damaged my eyes looking at (sorry chaps) in fact on the

setting out day exhibitors were laughing at it - but the "promotion staff" were <cough> very easy on the eyes :rofl: (if you were there you MUST know what I mean)

Beauty and the beast :lol:

Today I need to try to sort out the house / alleyway and workshop which looks like the SAS have done a series of practical forced entries on them ....

Thanks again one all all,..... knackered....... but grinning..................

:i-m_so_happy:

Hi Neil

Good to meet you too, sorry I had to disappear at one point and then got involved with a punter, on that note thankyou for having me nige was fun to be involved and I hope my turbo mouth all day has helped you sell some kits to some keen punters!

I love the Donny show, I think a lot of people expect more show and less trade though, also many people say not all the exhibitors show up!

Personally I think it's a great day if you've got parts to buy or want to chat to exhibitors!

Blooming 'eck Sam, how did you get your engine bay so OCD clean? Only seen them look like that on cars that get trailered to shows and then locked away in a garage for the rest of the year ..... having seen your other posts I know your Disco get well used/abused....

Amazing job :)

And as Mr Noisey once said :

My only advice would be - Go MS1. What started out as a vertical wall of WODDAFOCK is now a fairly flat wall of OH YES I UNDERSTAND THIS QUITE NICELY NOW ACTUALLY and it works REALLY REALLY well on my RV8 in my Disco and is an offroad dream vs what was an offroad nightmare. Buy everything from Nige, he's bonkers raving mental which will take you some time to come to terms with but is a genuinely top guy and has made a cracking business which in turn provides a cracking product to us, the customer. When my full kit arrived this time last year, OMG Christmas came early that year. Sam Merrell aka Mr Noisey

He now knows I am just a normal sensbile chap :P:rofl:

Nige

Hrmm went up with a mate as we had free tickets, best bit about the, "shop" was meeting old mates and looking around the carpark! Calling it a show is taking the pee! In about 2011 when it was at somewhere else I forget it was fantastic, Alan Kidd ran show vehicle section with the total 4x4 mag and the show actually was a show, radio control 4x4's stuff to interest kids, second hand stuff, this one was carp. :(

Blooming 'eck Sam, how did you get your engine bay so OCD clean? Only seen them look like that on cars that get trailered to shows and then locked away in a garage for the rest of the year ..... having seen your other posts I know your Disco get well used/abused....

Amazing job :)

the fact that everything has been stripped down and painted so it's all nice fresh colours and finishes, plus many hours jetwashing, many special detergents and many hours detailing also.

The underside is the same as I pulled both axles, stripped, cleaned and painted every component before the show.

It's a labour of love but i must be well over 5000 hours on this vehicle now...

Will be a darn shame to take it offroading again that's for sure but I can't bloody wait!

Almost a year since it last got used proper :(

Now saving for diffs, need Nigel to do me a lovely deal :P

Hrmm went up with a mate as we had free tickets, best bit about the, "shop" was meeting old mates and looking around the carpark! Calling it a show is taking the pee! In about 2011 when it was at somewhere else I forget it was fantastic, Alan Kidd ran show vehicle section with the total 4x4 mag and the show actually was a show, radio control 4x4's stuff to interest kids, second hand stuff, this one was carp. :(

Many folk complained about the TOR show (at Staffordshire County Showground) but I did enjoy the modified vehicle comp and the extra space for extra vehicles to be honest.

Donington show is great if you are attending to buy from or talk to exhibitors, it does not have enough vehicles on display to satisfy browsers IMO but it is full of exhibitors!

Like it has already been said I think it was great if you had a list of things to buy. We went early as it does get a bit to cramped to be walking around with two little ones. It's a little to early in the year to be putting stalls out side but maybe a bit of organisation of the car park to make a bit of a show and shine/dirty area would be good and then spitting cars and 4x4's to make it easier to view more motors. We were back home within an hour an a half after walking around twice and buying à couple of switches it was to packed and was nothing else to keep us there. It's very local to us so will be nice to see it get bigger and better.

Many folk complained about the TOR show (at Staffordshire County Showground) but I did enjoy the modified vehicle comp and the extra space for extra vehicles to be honest.

Donington show is great if you are attending to buy from or talk to exhibitors, it does not have enough vehicles on display to satisfy browsers IMO but it is full of exhibitors!

You haven't been to many Donington shows then ?

Twice at Donington there have been modified vehicle parks.

One at the end of the hall outside. One in the car park opposite the entrance. That was before they moved to Stafford

Nope, only been to Donny since it moved back there.

Would certainly like to see allowance for browsing, although I spoke to David a few weeks back and he was saying he is aiming to make the show specifically for off roaders already well involved in the sport, not for people just wanting to look at vehicles.

A smaller, niche show perhaps.

Can't fault him for getting top quality stuff there.