19j mileage

Mine was at 150k driven as ejparrot says. It was still running, but breathing heavily when I swapped it for a 200tdi. The head had minor cracks and three pistons were cracked.

I should add, it was still running and would still do 70 on the motorway when I took it out.

Hi guys

Just out of interest how long can I expect a well maintained 19j to last for? Currently on 83,000 ish.

Thanks

Mine had just about died at that mileage, cracked pistons, cracked head, blow head gasket and so on.. It was removed at 85500 ish miles still able to do 70 but the oil consumption was astronomical.

85k on mine before it snapped the crank, ripped out the journals and completely destroyed the bottom end.

BUT

It really depends how it was treated in its very early life.

I change oil regularly on all my cars but the garage said the damage was done early in its life and it was just a ticking bomb.

The first owner was a farmer, so it probably never saw an oil change once out of warranty.

And as you can see from the posts above, you really can't tell how long an engine is going to last.

One thing though, once warmed these engines seem to thrive on being driven like a petrol engine not a diesel - ie, give it revs

And lets face it, dropping in a 200/300tdi is a relatively cheap option these days.

Drive it, change its oil regularly and let destiny run its course.

135k here, owned abused by a previous pikey owner... Still running with a couple of new conrods as they were bent, head, turbo and lift pump (and it still made it from Lincolnshire to Switzerland without a breakdown). Breathes heavily but alright for a weekend toy. You know the saying : If it ain't broke...

Hi.

My familiy have had a 19j for many years. My parents bought in 92 a 110 stw with the engine in. It had done approx 80k km's. At 103'k km a piston tried to escape through the side of the block. A new crank, block and pistons were fitted and nothing happened for the next 100k km. Here we removed it, and fitted a 300 instead. The 19j was afterwards put in my 90" along with an intercooler. Here it lived for the next 130k km when it was replaced by another 300 tdi, because I wanted more power and didn't fancy tuning the 19j... It was then mounted in yet another 110 where it have lived a couple of years, I dont know how many km though.

In the engines life with my family it have towed both horse trailer and caravan, aswell as (in the 90") trophies and winch challenges. Serviced every 10k km and driven softly when cold.

Mads