Drill, any ideas on make ?

mmgemini

rn75.jpg

i287.jpg

As you know I've been away. We visited the museums around Telford. This image was taken at "Enginuity" mainly aimed at children so I was quite at home.

Nobody knows anything about this drill. The bolt heads seem to pre-date Whitworth as they are very deep. Everything looks to be a normal belt driven drill, except for the lower geared shaft below the drive shaft. Neither of the gears connect to anything, neither does it look to have provision to have another gear.

Surely this comes from a era before electric motors, when workshops and production areas were powered by overhead belt drives?

looking at the side view, there would the a belt within the frame, connecting the upper and lower horizontal stepped shafts, while there would be an external belt drive around the external pulley on the lower horizontal shaft; this belt would supply the power to the complete assembly.

There are other features of this machine that I find less obvious to explain, perhaps only partly because there is (understandably) a lot of visual clutter in the background.

HTH

isn't that a backgear arrangement for low range Mike? I wonder what the front flatbelt pulley cluster is for?

I'm sure I saw Fred Dibnah using a very similar drill in his yard on one of his most excellent tv progs

A lovely bit of history

cheers

Steveb

The thing is, those gears don't mesh with anything on the pillar.

The drive belt is at the bottom outside the pillar. The four pulleys at the bottom mate with the three at the top to change speeds.

The drill bit was bolted for better words with a square headed bolt

The thing is, those gears don't mesh with anything on the pillar.

The drive belt is at the bottom outside the pillar. The four pulleys at the bottom mate with the three at the top to change speeds.

The drill bit was bolted for better words with a square headed bolt

Might those gears be on an eccentric shaft? That may allow them to both mesh with the gears on the main shaft and act like a back gear as Steve suggests? The small gear on the main shaft would be the same part as the pulleys and you undo a bolt to allow it to spin on the main shaft, then the main shafts large gear is spun by the lay shaft.

If any of that makes sense.

I reckon you are right cwazywabbit , power feed , now you said that I remember it was under power on the FD prog with two massive coils

of swarf coming off a big drill running at a slow rpm - 60rpm ?

I bet its on youtube somewhere

cheers

Steveb

There is one at the Anson Engine Museum in Poynton, they have an engine driven workshop build in progress, pretty sure it's the same as that from memory.

must of missed that one when we went hmm

Seems clear to me.

Input drive is on the bottom shaft at the back, there's a hand lever which im guessing transfers the input belt to an idler or live pulley to stop & start.

The internal belt joins the top & bottom shafts and adjusts the spindle speed.

If you look at the front view the middle shaft is set further back and connects to a rack that gives automatic vertical feed. There would be another belt from the 3 pulleys in the oval section down to the middle spindle giving 3 vertical feed speeds.

What is the shaft below the drive belts for ? No movement on it that I could see at all.

I know it's not the best picture but those gears are about half an inch apart now way can they mesh

The feed is by a hand wheel on the right in the first pic, to the right of the drill holder.

Yeah that photo is much clearer, i thought the middle shaft connected to the feed drive,

My best theory is that the middle shaft has dropped. Maybe the bearings are absent?

I seems like it should mesh with the upper one, and then it would give a different output speed to the stub at the back thats probably missing a pulley.

The stub at the back looks offset from the geared shaft, my money is on it being eccentric and if you twist that stub it lifts the geared shaft up to mesh (I'd bet it should have a handle fitted to it). There are a few old pillar drill pictures on the web, mostly by cincinatti that use the eccentric shaft idea to move the lay shaft to mesh.

Yeah i reckon your right Crazy. If you zoom in on the large photo that PaulMc posted the stub at the back looks to be eccentric to the mid shaft. As you say i bet there was a lever on that stub which rotates the gears up.

I think that the upper shaft is 2 concentric shafts, like the vertical drill shaft is. I think that the small gear and the 4 belt pulleys of the top shaft are on the inner shaft which runs the drill shaft, and the large gear runs the 3 small pulleys of the vertical feed. Thus the lever on the stub engages or disengages the vertical feed. You could then disengage vertical feed when running, at the correct depth as you would need to.

• 3 weeks later...

The stub at the back looks offset from the geared shaft, my money is on it being eccentric and if you twist that stub it lifts the geared shaft up to mesh (I'd bet it should have a handle fitted to it). There are a few old pillar drill pictures on the web, mostly by cincinatti that use the eccentric shaft idea to move the lay shaft to mesh.

My cincinatti lathe had the same arrangement for the back gear, you will find and eccentric bush to mesh the gears.

My lathe was very similar except it had two big gears, which slid on the shaft, so you had lo and even lower.