Front prop

JeffR

As the bloody Disco has just had a front prop uj disintegrate and I need the bugger for a job on monday morning....

Dumb question coming up, will the front prop from a 110 fit - can borrow one of the V8!

Failing that, anyone know where I can get a bloody uj on a sunday in cumbria or northumberland?

Trouble is can't find any dimensions for uj's! May end up pulling the pair off both vehicles and having a suck it and see session in the morning!

Bloody typical, spent all week sorting out an intermittent squeak, turned out to a bumper corner bracket turned to ferrous oxide, then the wife gets back from takin the kids out to say there's a new squeak an vibration, crawls underneath to find the uj is comprehensively cattle trucked!

Just been crawling under both with a tape measure and midges (wee buggers is early this year) and It looks like the two are more or less the same length... will give it a go in the morning, of course I'm forgetting the bloody obvious - just remove the prop , jam the centre diff lock on and hey presto, rear wheel drive disco!

Will do for a round trip to Fontburn Reservoir on monday.

Either way will let you know tomorrow.

Cheers Mike

Jeff, if you rotate the prop 90 degress do the bolt holes line up then? Most props the holes form a rectangle rather than a square if you were to look at it end on.

Tried that! Managed to get a local parts shop to open up at stupid o'clock this morning, had uj installed by 9.30 - took more time tightening the bloody bolts (underneath the disco in a minor monsoon).

Note to oneself - buy a bloody propshaft socket..........

Glad it's not just me then. Mind you the army didn't have such things as a propshaft tool back in the days of Whitworth nuts and Series ones..

I keep thinking of a 1/ 4" drive 9/ 16 AF socket for that job. Lighter then the prop tool.

ive always used a 9/16 socket and 3/8" drive wobble extension and ratchet for props so much quicker than the "2 spanners" method IMO

MMmm

Tried that. The socket catches the yoke and jams...Yep the thin Snap-On one, That's why I said 1/ 4" drive

I have a prop tool, but it is useless on my car, because it is too busy with crossmembers in the way. I am using 2 off 14 mm spanners for the diff ends (14 mm is a much tighter fit), but have changed over the nuts on the transfer box to K-nuts. This allows you to use an 11 mm ring spanner and gives you a whole lot more purchase, probably halving the amount of time to do it.

Glad it's not just me then. Mind you the army didn't have such things as a propshaft tool back in the days of Whitworth nuts and Series ones..

I keep thinking of a 1/ 4" drive 9/ 16 AF socket for that job. Lighter then the prop tool.

Doesn't quite work (ask me how I know) as the two two nuts/bolt heads next to the grease nipple jam the socket unless the prop in in EXACTLY the correct place, which if one is lying underneath aDisco with one wheel off the ground , is bloody difficult to achieve....

Mike

I bought my 130 9 years ago and the first time I saw the length and weight of the rear prop I decided regular greasing was key to it's long life. I grease the ujs every month and 9 years on I am still on the same ujs. I doubt non greaseable would last as long but would like to know as I hate the job!!!

Doesn't quite work (ask me how I know) as the two two nuts/bolt heads next to the grease nipple jam the socket unless the prop in in EXACTLY the correct place, which if one is lying underneath aDisco with one wheel off the ground , is bloody difficult to achieve....

I angle-ground the flange nuts off rather than spending ages trying to unscrew them (I never re-use Nyloc nuts on propshafts anyway) "Destructive disassembly" can massively reduce overall job-time and frustration.

Can't you just turn the prop? Especially with one wheel off the ground, pop it in neutral and job's much easier...

Can't you just turn the prop? Especially with one wheel off the ground, pop it in neutral and job's much easier...

I do that.

There should be a flanged lip on the rear of the of the prop flange at the diff and gearbox. That's there to hold the bolt head in place so you can undo the nut.

Unfortunately Land Rover didn't think to change that from a Whitworth headed bolt to a UNF one.