Steering Damper custom mount

ejparrott

Just checking my plan with those more knowledgeable than me!

My 109 has been converted to PAS using Defender parts. Having now cured a serious wobble I'm thinking of re-ftting the steering damper. My drag link is a specially shortened Gwyn Lewis HD defender link, the original series link being too short and the defender one too long for this special application. If I fit the defender steering damper to the swan neck casting the other other end falls in fresh air, nowhere near the series mount bracket. Would there be anything wrong with me taking a series drag link mount and welding it to the GL drag link in the right place, so that the Series damper could be refitted in the right place to mate up with the bracket on the chassis end? I'm thinking that it's fine because the component I'm welding (having welded) is not a structural part of the steering.

Cheers

I took a bit of 50x50x3 box, a 30mm cutter and drilled through it, welded a plate over the end of it, and an L bracket on the other. Cut through the plate with a wide grinder disc and drilled two holes in it for bolts.

It then slips over the drag link and clamps tightly to it by using the bolts to squash the box slightly, hence the need for the wider slit.

If that doesn't make sense I can probably find a photo.

The original bracket is welded onto the draglink on a range rover, disco, and series 3s. I also sleeved mine using a bit of 1 1/8" x 10 swg tube, then welded. I have even done this to create the correct length by sliding 2 threaded ends in and weld it. I usually do 2x45 degrees cuts to create a fish mouth. I am aware of the 'no welding'rule, but land rover does get away with it, and my truck did pass the 'you know what' test as well. So basically, that rule doesn't seem to be enforced somehow.

Daan

The original bracket is welded onto the draglink on a range rover, disco, and series 3s. I also sleeved mine using a bit of 1 1/8" x 10 swg tube, then welded. I have even done this to create the correct length by sliding 2 threaded ends in and weld it. I usually do 2x45 degrees cuts to create a fish mouth. I am aware of the 'no welding'rule, but land rover does get away with it, and my truck did pass the 'you know what' test as well. So basically, that rule doesn't seem to be enforced somehow.

Daan

No Land Rover doesn't get away with it. The drag link will be "normalised" after welding. Something any of us can do if we have access to a furnace.

I somehow doubt that all the aftermarket manufacturers bother with that Mike (I'm not saying they shouldn't be doing it)

Ah yes but. Are Land Rover doing it ? Is it still necessary with the new welding gear ?

If you buy something and it breaks. you have a comeback. If you do it yourself then only you are to blame should the manure hit the fan.

I like Dan's solution...really neat mate! Was hoping to avoid removing the drag link from one end or the other but might have to. I suppose I could use a GL style mount for the short term - eventually I'll have to have one end or the other off for changing....

I have a couple of clamp-on brackets knocking around in the shed if they might help? Slightly different designs but both grip around the bar and offer a mount for a pin or a bushed-eye depending on which way you use them.

• 1 month later...

In the end I decided I'd make up a copy of Dan's mount, it was a thought for a backup plan anyway.

In production...

018.jpg

I've got a bit of a head scratcher though....

017.jpg

I'm sure this is a standard 90/110 steering damper, and I'm sure this is fully compressed. The stud end is in the Series damper mount bracket which I think sits back from the side of the chassis rail the same as a 90/110 does, about 10mm, and yet it's sitting here...any thoughts? PAS box is bolted up tight to the inside of the chassis rail as the 90/110 is...did you use a shorter damper Dan?

I've got a bit of a head scratcher though....

017.jpg

I'm sure this is a standard 90/110 steering damper, and I'm sure this is fully compressed. The stud end is in the Series damper mount bracket which I think sits back from the side of the chassis rail the same as a 90/110 does, about 10mm, and yet it's sitting here...any thoughts? PAS box is bolted up tight to the inside of the chassis rail as the 90/110 is...did you use a shorter damper Dan?

You could change the drag link to a disco one and bin the swan neck thing but this will mean you need a disco drop arm on the steering box.

post-1650-0-38154200-1405431784_thumb.jpg

Sorry not got a close up image to hand but you can just about see the idea

am i missing something? isnt that damper supposed to go in the mount built into the "swan neck" in which case what was the clamp arrangement for?

i do realise that your 109 has poofter steering...

...oh sorry, *power steering*. this new laptop has a mind of its own :ph34r:

...but doesent the other end just connect to the chassis so therefore no need to have a clampy mount? and where was the steering set in that image? straight ahead or full lock left? i see your issue if at straight ahead (thinking cap smiley)