Disco 2 - Range rover Body swap

Khryztal

Good evening all,

My beloved range rover classic has decided to crack its block. and than spend out nearly 4grand on a new one, I decided to get a disco 2 facelift and swap the entire chassis, engine, axles etc.

But before I go ahead with this I looked up about sva tests and the like. Still confused really lol.

It's basically a body swap in terms of the tests. would it need to be sva'd what reg would it be? The disco or the classics?

Thanks in advance

So you are dropping a D2 shell and engine onto the RRC chassis?

To do that will require welding on lots of body mounts, probably remove existing body outriggers/crossmembers, which would mean to be legal you do need an IVA.

So you are dropping a D2 shell and engine onto the RRC chassis?

To do that will require welding on lots of body mounts, probably remove existing body outriggers/crossmembers, which would mean to be legal you do need an IVA.

surly dropping the RRC body on the D2 running gear would be better? looks of RRC, power of td5 etc etc?

I'm pretty sure if you use the entire chassis and running gear from the disco with out altering the chassis (you can add just not remove) then bolt a range rover body on top you don't need an IVA as it will be a radical altered vehicle with more than 8 points. However it will need a VIC and will keep the disco registration.

Mike

Don't forget the back of the D2 chassis is longer, and D2 chassis are generally made of paper mache'.

Personally I would just buy a D2 and scrap/sell/repair/restore/off-road the raingie.

Will.

I have one or two photos (and experience) that might be of help. Talking Td5 to RRC conversion. You'll need to do gearbox mounts (as well as engine) too, if you want to keep some off the shelf props on there.

Not a massive job but there are a few time consuming/fiddly bits. If it were me, and unless you were going to buy a remanufactured Td5, I'd rebuild your cracked engine. There's no point in throwing a tired Td5 in there, and to refresh one could end up costing as much as rebuilding what you have. I did all my work myself, and granted I needed to buy a few tools (hoist etc), and swapping the D2 R380 that came with my Td5 for a low miles Defender unit which cost me heavy, being meticulous with the engine and build in general my conversion cost me around €4k.

What year is your RRC?

By the way, here in Eire there are guys who make a business of putting tax exempt RRC chassis under D2's. They tend to sell for €8-€10k and are fairly popular given it means you only owe €56 road tax a year and are road test exempt. Both of which can be extremely handy if you're a LR owner - hence my Td5 driven '70's RRC

Don't forget the back of the D2 chassis is longer, and D2 chassis are generally made of paper mache'.

Personally I would just buy a D2 and scrap/sell/repair/restore/off-road the raingie.

Will.

I thought they were made of rust

Yeah, but there not 100% rust, as you can see the rust on the this was joined together with paper mâché patches that have dissolved when a dog wee'd against a lamppost three streets away.....

47ea5855d608397df8ff316e843d6fd7.jpg

Will.