What tablet to people use for memory map?

Diesel_90

Hi, I currently use a Hp iPAQ with memory map on for greenlaning but I would like to update it to something a but newer like a tablet.

I have seen tesco sell the hudl for £119 but I'm not sure if it's has GPS.

What does everyone else use?

I use a Lenovo Miix 2 - 8". Windows 8 32bit. Runs MM fine, and talks to the GPS using an emulator called Centerfuse localiser. The API for location services has changed betwen win7 and WIn 8, doing away with com ports, thus requiring the emulator.

Works well.

I use an old iPad 2, used it on our lap of Australia as our primary navigation system using HEMA maps, never missed a beat, never had any issues acquiring our position using the built in GPS receiver. We have it mounted to the dash with a Ram mount and it soaked up all the sand dunes, corrugations, gibber roads etc... without any problems.

I used to enjoy Ozi years ago on a small Acer handheld until the day the the silly device p*ssed me off once again and I killed it.

Now it's time to get a tablet and I'm thinking about a Samsung something 2 with 7" display. I forgot the name but was out on offer at 100€ or so a few weeks ago.

When my old laptop packed up I bought a Samsung Q1 from ebay for about £50, proper windows computer with a 7" touch screen.

It holds the whole UK on both 1:50,000 and 1:25.000 OS.

Running with a wired GPS antenna, faultless and cheap. The Ram mount cost more than the tablet.

The Q1 can be fitted with a solid state hard drive more suited to vehicle use, but so far mine's coped ok.

I keep looking at my sons unused ipad as I'd like a bigger (10") screen, but I read of problems with compatible GPS and licence transfer issues with MM.

That's for you're input. Is it possible to load my copy of MM with maps onto a android device?

Well I have.

Looking back at the peevish email I sent to MM Sales in November 2013 I was clearly struggling to come to terms with my first modern Smartphone.

They replied promptly and courteously, dealing with all the 'problems' I had raised with clear instructions. They had reviewed my license, confirmed my original purchase, and credited my Account with a Classic Maps license to enable me to use my previously purchased Streetmaps, bought as part of the national coverage @ 1:50k CD in 2012. The Classic Maps license is a one-off purchase, covering ALL older maps, but only on a single device (IIRC).

Result, as they say.

I've never tried to use the Nexus 5 phone for 'tracking as I move', as I do with an in-car PC. The phone shows where I am, and I can Mark points of interest as required. The phone will lock to the GPS signal, moving the map as required, but it doesn't natively leave a track. This might be an option, I've never checked, and the detailed facilities might be different if you are using a tablet.

Good Luck.

Anybody using Oziexplorer??

Ozi is nice. A lot of features you'll never use cluttering the screen. The nice part is that if you can think of something you'd like, it's probably in there somewhere.

The mobile (Android) version is OK too, although I've only used the version that can be "obtained" on the internet, it may have improved in more recent versions.