Supercharged Rover V8

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that I do not want to do an engine conversion? If I wanted to then I would have asked about doing one.

Wish I hadnt bothered asking now....

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that I do not want to do an engine conversion? If I wanted to then I would have asked about doing one.

Apologies, the original point of the post seemed to be about getting more power, and your arguments against were that it wouldn't fit (which it will) and that it would be hard to return to standard. I was just pointing out that your original suggestions of charging the rover were getting a bit far into the diminishing returns area. Do what you wanna do!

My supercharged Rover V8 Challenge motor is awesome....

4 Litre Cross-bolted, Offenhouser manifold cut to accept the fabricated and welded aluminium adaptor to suit the Eaton short nosed titanium shafted M112, running at 6 bar boost, via Mega squirt, Transit Air Flow Meter, Ford Thunderbird throttle and then a nice tune on the rolling road.

Awesome as they say, sounds sexy, just a great conversion that actually sits in the valley using one 6 rib belt to drive everything including 2 120Amp alternators, a modified power steering pump to driver the hydro steer and a crank shaft driven 60cc hydraulic pump for the hydraulic winches, and to top it all off the charger sits lower than the standard Plenum chamber does, hows that.

My supercharged Rover V8 Challenge motor is awesome....

4 Litre Cross-bolted, Offenhouser manifold cut to accept the fabricated and welded aluminium adaptor to suit the Eaton short nosed titanium shafted M112, running at 6 bar boost, via Mega squirt, Transit Air Flow Meter, Ford Thunderbird throttle and then a nice tune on the rolling road.

Awesome as they say, sounds sexy, just a great conversion that actually sits in the valley using one 6 rib belt to drive everything including 2 120Amp alternators, a modified power steering pump to driver the hydro steer and a crank shaft driven 60cc hydraulic pump for the hydraulic winches, and to top it all off the charger sits lower than the standard Plenum chamber does, hows that.

See now that sounds great! (6 bar sounds a little on the high side though!) was it a hard conversion to perform?

Are you running megasquirt V1? I thought you didnt need an AFM with megasquirt???

How long have you been running it and have you had any problems?

Assuming you dont run an intercooler if its mounted straight to the manifold?

Unfortunately a centrifugal supercharger wouldnt have the same whine characteristics of a the roots type :(

Did you do a dyno run to see how much the engine was putting out?

Cheers Boothy :)

Idris what kind of oil pressure would you think of increasing it to? What do you mean by pump up? Do you know of any off the shelf dry sump kits? I wouldnt fancy making my own for something so critical. Are the followers a bit more complicated than I gave them credit for?

Mark what are the differences in diameter like for thor and gems? would it make much difference for a boosted engine? Especially when you are already pushing air through a chargecooler or intercooler?

Cheers

Jad

I cant remember the exact dimensions, I was reading up about it while ago, but when boosting you want to aim for less restrictive volume and the GEMS mani can be enlarged further easily where as the banana THOR cannot, plus its not an ideal design for bolting a SC to.

Dry sumps don't look that complicated, I saw a build on one a few years back and it didn't look complicated then. I'm tempted to have a bash at making one myself as the RV8 pumps are something to be desired.

May I ask why you want to aim for such a high PSI?

Check these guys out, they import yank motors for similar money your looking at for a boost kit if you do decide to go to the dark side.

https://www.facebook.com/DLAxles?fref=ts

Such high psi of what? Afraid Im not interested in the yank motors. Im not saying they are not nice but I just dont want to get into another engine/gearbox conversion!

I have been looking around and have found the type of superchargers used by SC Power. Does anyone know the technicalities of sizing a supercharger? I would have thought it would be the C30-94 here. Any clever people think thats about right?

I mean im fairly certain that if I can buy the supercharger for ~£1800 then I could buy/fab the rest of the parts required for quite a lot less than the 2k extra being charged..... Making it a much better proposition than either the turbo or yank engine. :)

Jad

Sorry 6psi not bar.
The AFM was fitted because of the differnt rate of air going in made it very difficult to get an even tick-over.

The conversion was quite simple and is a very neat job.

V2 Megasquirt and it was on the rollers at Bailey Performance at Broseley near Telford, Dale who runs it knows Mega squirt inside and is an absolute gent, who is not expensive and a pleasure to spend time there, plus he will work for cash...

Yes its bolted directly to the manifold, and its been on for about 18 months now, the only problem being that a hard plastic coupling inside the nosecone broke and I had to replace it with a modified one, and there is a nice whine with it.

I'll have to trawl through for the figures I'll edit them in.

post-1475-0-23726100-1408742081_thumb.jpg

Edited by V8 Freak
Image inverted to save too many accidents from viewers turning monitors or doing hand stands....

Cannot figure out why the photo's upside down, but we are just in middle of going out.

Stand on head, cant find figures but from memory about 370BHP and 380 Ft/Lb torque but torque was proper high and flat from about 1500rpm, but don't shout I will have to dig the paper out to have a proper look.

I've just noticed on the photo thats the belts not around the pulley, its a photo I took in the initial build and when I put the second alternator on I had to get a longer belt....

Its on now din't panic.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Looks really good Chris

Being a challenge motor do you do many miles in it? Is it road legal?

Does the AFM tie into the megasquirt? Wondering if the uneven idle meant the supercharger is pushing a bit too much air into the engine at idle or something? or loading it up a little?

What do you have in the way of a wastegate/bypass valve?

Jad

No its not road legal

AFM ties in great to the squirt and calmed it down because it then got a steadier reading

Wastegate, never considered one

Belt is useful as a tow rope if it ever fails to run, its certainly long enough

But when I back off my hols I will find a way of putting a better photo on p, because most folks think it looks better the standard factory installation of things, without sounding cocky it does sit in there very well and is nice and easy to work around.

Off on my cruise now......

Cruise? Dont do that it wont be any fun at all! :P

Any chance you have pictures of the build? Parts made/used etc Would be good to know what else you had to use to get it to work.

Enjoy your cruise! Get back soon :D

I know this a website to sell their own engines but this from RPI

Warning against Supercharging the 4.0 or 4.6 Engine

Those with supercharges, will also discover this. On most supercharged engines, Especially those using the Eaton M90), poor fuel distribution and weak mixtures eventually cause detonation that will collapse the ring grooves on the rear cylinders and cause partial engine seizure, and eventual piston breakage.

More on the site?

Have read that. It would be nice if they went into more detail..... Obviously they talk about the m90. Now why would this especially give poor fuel distribution and weak mixtures? All the supercharger does is supply more air compressed, it doesnt control fuelling so my guess is they mean that because it is a bit small for the rover v8 (small outlet that doesnt cover the whole intake) that it ends up supplying more air to the cylinders it sits over? I also suspect that they mean that if you bolt on a supercharger and just let the standard ecu try to cope then you will get poor fuelling etc. Done correctly I wouldnt have thought it would be a problem.... Crosses fingers :P It does say there was some well hidden wiring problems to try and stop the engine pinking. Strikes me as very poorly executed!

Hopefully megasquirt, a centrifugal supercharge rand an intercooler should combat most if not all of the problems mentioned there! I would intend on having the knock sensors working for a start!

Jad

I realise this has been discounted but by extreme coincidence I was at Wings & Wheels this weekend and bumped into a chap with an LS in a TVR and couldn't resist asking him about it and snapping a couple of pics. In short, it's an LS3 with a Tremec 6-speed manual, fits in with no chassis modifications and destroys all in its path. He also said I'd just missed a chap with the LSA supercharged lump fitted in the same vehicle.

Like I said, I know you don't wanna, but thought it too much of a coincidence not to mention.

He said aerodynamics were now an issue as he had it up to 150 down the runway and it tries to take off. Also that no tyres have yet been found that can put the power down below 4th gear, and it can spin the rims in the tyres.

web_IMG_1796.jpg

web_IMG_1797.jpg