which wheel bearings?

Well after 120.000 miles with any type of taper roller bearing fitted I think it's in the looking after and fitting rather than the manufacturer of the bearing

My Defender had four different makes of bearing fitted.

Timken are like Biro and Hoover, the first manufacturer.

Yes, buy new lock tab washers!!! Gaskets for drive shaft flanges and a corteco hub seal, if by any chance the brake discs look ropey, change them while you're at it, only 5 extra bolts now, but it saves having to strip it all out again just for the same 5 bolts later on ;)

I just take the disassembled bits along to my local industrial-bearings-belts-and-seals place and they do the matching-up. If you arrive looking grimy and harrassed and offer to pay cash they'll often give you a good 'trade discount' too.

Stake-nuts (or tab-washers for those who still struggle with the old way of doing things) I get from the local LR dealer.

If doing the front, always replace the little plastic caps that cover where the CV output-shaft fits the drive-flange, and fill them with CV-type semi-fluid grease before refitting. I've seen several instances of these that have split, filled up with water, and rusted the drive-flange to the end of the CV-shaft.

The RTC3511 hub outer seals are supposed to be better. If you have a TD5 onwards, you'll need as Tanuki says,either a stake nut for each hub (and that assumes you don't need to change the spacer between the bearings), or you can go for the more adjustable 2 lock nuts and lock washer and no spacer per hub as per 300tdis back. so you'd need the 2 lock nuts and washer per corner. Either way get a 52mm socket or box spanner if you haven't got one. The disc check is good advice, and if you do change discs you'll need Loctite 270 for the bolts.

I used Timken for years, but they don't last.... had bearing failure with less than 20.000 km 3 times and then went to NTN, no more problems. Maybe is the production place, the Timken for the Defender that comes to Colombia are produced in India, the ones that I took from the car were made in Australia... I'm trying to find the FAG version but haven't been lucky...

IMHO the seals are more important than the bearings. Fit first class bearings but if your seals are not great they will very soon be shot. Personal experience with Timken - generally thought to be good - lasting only a few thousand miles.