can someone please tell me what this relay is for?

was looking in fuse box and noticed this relay was really hot like can barely touch it hot, so i reckoned something wrong was up with it so disconnected it, then i checked and noticed that when removed it didn't affect anything in the car electrics…will hook it back again or try to replace it with a new one hopefully that will help.

but I have no idea what its for

$_12.JPG

I went by the pin layout and size, they were the only two that matched as far as I could see. Then when I found the part number most of the replacement ones were grey.

So I guess if Champlo swaps the two relays and the same relay heats up it's a simple relay replacement, otherwise the problem is either with the glow plugs or the ABS pump.

this is the description and better pic i found online http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3778&pos=11 they say its compressor but i don't think it is.

it starts fine but maybe could be the abs pump..and yes its under the passenger seat..its been disconnected for a week now, didn't try to use the heated screen so this could be it as well…

will try to swap with other relay and see if it heats up again..

looking at the wiring from relay socket, the yellow/black trace is only use in glowplug circuIt, so from RAVE & Mr CW's findings above thats your glow plug relay,

if the wires match these colours

plain brown

brown/orange trace

yellow/black trace

green/blue trace

Not necessarily... logic dictates that it would be a useful thing if the light didn't light up with a relay missing, but it depends on where the supply feed for the light comes from and whether or not Land Rover had the intelligence to wire it up that way...

You might have to do some detective work with a multi-meter see if you can trace/ see the black/yellow wire in the engine bay anywhere...

^ but the indicator light for the glow plug on the dashboard would have lit up if the relay has been disconnected right? its been disconnected for a week now and it never showed n the dashboard.

If it's a TD5 then no: the "glowplug" light on a TD5 dash is controlled by the ECU independently of the ECU triggering the glowplug-relay. After a really cold start the ECU may keep the glowplugs on for minutes after the engine's started; equally, in warmish weather it may decide not to bother lighting the glowplugs at all, even though you get the 'glowplug' light coming on for a few seconds.

It's better to think of the "Glowplug" light on a TD5 as an "all initial power-up self-checks completed, ready for liftoff" indicator.

So far in the UK it's not got cold enough for a TD5 to need glowplugs to start reliably so your pulling the glowplug-relay won't have been noticeable.

I think it's a Puma Tanuki, do they follow the same logic?

I've not yet wrestled with Puma electronics but pretty much every 'Euro-5' emissions-compliant Diesel made in the last decade stealthily do 'intelligent' things with glowplug-cycling which isn't hinted at by the illumination of the yellow glowplug-light.

So don't be at all surprised to see a modern engine heating the glowplugs periodically for quite some minutes after a start.