Help me decide: Bargain or not....?

Oh dear god, my poor head.... Make my mind up for me...!

I've got a 98 discovery which is out of test and won't pass another without work I can't be arsed with.

I've been offered a 110 station wagon with no rear seats (will have to find some), or door cards (otherwise all there) as a swap if I put £2k (e2500) with it.

It will need slight repairs to the doors, a couple of patches on the xmember, a couple of bits on the bulkhead in a year or 2. The body panels are pretty straight.

It has:

Ashcroft shafts, flanges and air locker. Onboard air and rear helper springs. New springs and gas steering damper. Toyota supra seats, isolators and in cab controls for winch (superwinch x6 available for e500 extra think I'll pass), wiring and dash pod for spots, an inverter. Might come with cranked arms and waffle boards thrown in. Side locker in place of rear window, snorkel recent prop ujs. 140k on the clock.

It's nor a minter by any stretch, you wouldn't worry about scratching the paint, but not rough really.

Am I asking in the wrong place or should I bite his hand off?!?

Help. Please. I'm so confused.

Bulkhead would be my only big worry. They leak rain and make life a bit miserable til sorted. All the rest is standard defender stuff and easily tidied over time. Sounds good if you like the particular model.

Check what the Disco is worth and do the same for the 110 (what year is the 110, is it 200/300tdi.

It does look very presentable mind you (in the pic).

Do you know the seller if so fine if not do your homework, but at the end of the day 90s 110s are always worth more. Not really any hidden panels in 90s/110s like the Disco's. Don't get me wrong I like Disco's

I sold both our Disco's a 1990 200 owned 6/7 years and a 1997 300 owned 5 years to get my 1986 110cws back on the road (and she still has a 2.5 nad ) No regrets what so ever. Good luck.

Well, everything written above is how I feel about it. The defender is the better option and not bad value.

However.....

Women being sensible creatures as they are, (or just cautious), mine has expressed concerns about spending all our available funds on a truck that will need more money putting into it. Clearly spending too much energy on 'sense' and 'reason'. Where's the pasion and adventure???

I now have to find a way to score a lump of unexpected cash in the next few days, and make out like the universe gave it to me for a new truck. :/

Buy the Defender.

Remove, replace by standard (though secondhand/reconditioned if necessary) parts and sell-on all the non-original stuff. Use the money freed up by this to do a good body/chassis reconditioning and maybe a bit of interior retrimming to make it more SWMBO-acceptable.

You end up with a vehicle that's now a known quantity, which should also last well.

You all speak truths and sense. I know this. If you all concentrate really hard on the joy that defender ownership brings I'm sure she'll pick up on it.

She has some strange idea that even once the basics were done I'd still keep spending money on it at the expense if other things. Strange notion....

You know the worst bit? She pulled out the old "if you want it, you can get it" line. I hate it when she does that...

You all speak truths and sense. I know this. If you all concentrate really hard on the joy that defender ownership brings I'm sure she'll pick up on it

I will channel reinforcingly-positive and Defender-acquiring-vibes in your direction - just after I've cut up the 45-kilos of roadkill-deer a friend's dropped off!

As said above if you do the work yourself and source good 2nd hand parts then it can be done on a budget.

Any cash you put into the defender you will more than likely get back if you decide to sell, same can't be said of the disco...!!

Remember the 110 PU below and I didnt spend a fortune on it !!

Nigel

[/url]">http://20131230_155150_zps748b964d.jpg

Allow me to play killjoy...

Drawbacks:

- Defender is about 50x more likely to get nicked these days, and much easier to nick.

- Comfort in every way

- Parts cost: breaker discos are ten a penny, defender parts still fetch a premium (there's a reason you can buy anti-theft bonnet hinges for Defenders)

- Quality of the mods. You say it's had mods, wiring, seats, etc. etc. all of which could be welcome enhancements or a hideous pile of unreliable dangerous bodgery & wiring fire waiting to happen.

- Mods are never worth what the owner paid for them, usually at best they're worth about 20% of their cost IF done well AND you want them. More like 5-10% usually. Minus points if done badly.

- You say doors, bulkhead & x-member will all soon need work, which means by the time you hit them with the wire brush you could be into a set of doors, a new bulkhead and a section if not an entire chassis. Good Defender doors and bulkheads still fetch strong money.

- It's a minor one, but the Disco has ABS & discs all round

- Does the Disco have aircon? Does the Defender? Going anywhere sunny?

- How many people / kids need to fit in the back? Going on any long journeys?

- You've got to find and fit some seats, good Defender seats are not cheap.

Yes the Disco doesn't have the character & is not currently a collectible classic but it might be more practical & cheaper to keep running over the next 5 years.

Allow me to play killjoy...

Drawbacks:

- Defender is about 50x more likely to get nicked these days, and much easier to nick.

- Comfort in every way

- Parts cost: breaker discos are ten a penny, defender parts still fetch a premium (there's a reason you can buy anti-theft bonnet hinges for Defenders)

- Quality of the mods. You say it's had mods, wiring, seats, etc. etc. all of which could be welcome enhancements or a hideous pile of unreliable dangerous bodgery & wiring fire waiting to happen.

- Mods are never worth what the owner paid for them, usually at best they're worth about 20% of their cost IF done well AND you want them. More like 5-10% usually. Minus points if done badly.

- You say doors, bulkhead & x-member will all soon need work, which means by the time you hit them with the wire brush you could be into a set of doors, a new bulkhead and a section if not an entire chassis. Good Defender doors and bulkheads still fetch strong money.

- It's a minor one, but the Disco has ABS & discs all round

- Does the Disco have aircon? Does the Defender? Going anywhere sunny?

- How many people / kids need to fit in the back? Going on any long journeys?

- You've got to find and fit some seats, good Defender seats are not cheap.

Yes the Disco doesn't have the character & is not currently a collectible classic but it might be more practical & cheaper to keep running over the next 5 years.

Booo

I didn't say I wouldn't do the swap, just that a more sensible person might consider the drawbacks :P

The rust would worry me the most, only because of the work & cost involved in doing galv chassis, galv bulkhead & set of doors which is what I'd really want to do if I thought I'd keep the truck for any period of time. The fact you can see they all need work means there's probably a fair bit more you can't see till you start.

As said above if you do the work yourself and source good 2nd hand parts then it can be done on a budget.

Any cash you put into the defender you will more than likely get back if you decide to sell, same can't be said of the disco...!!

Remember the 110 PU below and I didnt spend a fortune on it !!

Nigel

[/url]">http://20131230_155150_zps748b964d.jpg

Yes indeedy nige, you did a lovely job on it too. I did see it on one of the Irish forums and thought how smart it was looking. Good work. :)

I didn't say I wouldn't do the swap, just that a more sensible person might consider the drawbacks :P

The rust would worry me the most, only because of the work & cost involved in doing galv chassis, galv bulkhead & set of doors which is what I'd really want to do if I thought I'd keep the truck for any period of time. The fact you can see they all need work means there's probably a fair bit more you can't see till you start.

There is wisdom in your words. Much wisdom.

The disco is really at the point of being a breaker/off roader now, inner wing to replace, couple of chassis patches, brake pads, prop shaft splines need attention... Little things but in my situation awkward. Were I to keep it I'd have to pay e760 registration tax, then e1040 for the years tax, and then the cost of the repairs to get it through the inspection and nct (not equivalent). It's just not viable. 500 quid might put the defender right. Maybe. Then it's e330 to tax it as a commercial or crew cab. Another e150 say for the engineers report.

Either way, the missus isn't comfortable with me blowing the bank on it at the moment. I'm gonna need some more cash behind me if this is gonna go my way. Could happen yet but looking doubtful at the moment. :(