Spare wheel carrier for alloys

If you buy a new Defender with alloys fitted from the factory, what does it come with to hold the spare wheel?

The problem I have always had with the alloy spare (genuine wheels) is that you have to hold the damn thing in mid air to get the first nut started on the threads, due to the design of nut and the size of the hole in the rim. Steel wheels locate on the studs accurately, but the alloy holes are much bigger, so the studs aren't centred in the holes.

Are they like this with factory fitted alloys or is there some "thing" that fits to the carrier to locate the wheel in the right place?

They are exactly like this from factory, just standard ex disco 1 wheel carrier. Still it's better than the old three long studs on a plate, any slight misalignment of the studs meant pushing and shoving of the wheel in an attempt to get the last nut started when putting an alloy on it!

OK, thanks, I thought there was maybe some sort of thing that slipped over the studs and located an alloy with the wheel centre (as they locate on the hub) but all I could find listed anywhere was some big washers which don't overcome the problem of holding it in mid air! Time for SimonR to invent a Y-Wheelcarrier - be easy to do :)

I already have :) I found a deep socket that sleeved over the M16 studs (it was probably a 17mm, can't remember) and sleeved a piece of blue poly water pipe over it which fits fairly well inside the hole in the alloy. So, changing wheels in the workshop, pop the socket on to the top stud, slide the wheel on, put the bottom two nuts on, take the socket out and fit the final nut. Works reasonably well.

This is fine as a workshop aid but I am after something permanent - I've already thought of an idea but don't have the metal on hand to make it easily. Meanwhile I'll probably just buy another socket to put in the vehicle.

If you fit a sleeve or bush to the studs, then the alloy wheel nuts will not wind in enough to hold the wheel securely. Just lift the wheel onto the studs and then roll the wheel to one side while you put the first nut on, then to the other side for the second nut. It only gets difficult on the third nut if any of the studs are misaligned.

• 4 weeks later...