Copying An M8274

bishbosh

Having read several threads on various fora about T-max and Come Up etc, I started to wonder why nobody (to my knowledge anyhow :blink: ) has tried to copy the M8274 from Warn.

Considering its deified status in the Challenge arena it would seem to me to be the obvious target for a bit of blatant copying.

Is it because it is less appealing to the masses due to its form factor? Surely with the number of bumpers available for it that shouldn't be a propblem. Most people are put off by the high cost.

Answers on a postcard please! :D

The Ox was more of a Bison - and a half dead one at that!

Avoid if possible!

Problem with mine was mostly the motor - and it was different from any of the current generation of winches. I did find a replacement from the states, but including shipping, it was lamost the same cost as a new 8274 - so that's what I bought instead!

Si

I don't doubt it, but none of the other copies are as good as the winches they are based on yet they are extremely popular because of the price point.

Hate to point this out old spoof but the two winches you mentioned aren't copies!

Both T-max and Come Up are original, just sold under loads of brandnames - the T is a mile marker all the way to a ramsey and the Come up is a Premier through to a Superwinch...

The 8274 is a copy (ish) in it's own right really, being an updated/upgraded Belleview.

In fact if you look at the Belle, it's castings and build make the 8274 look like a GEW or a Saggitarius. Bit like the Husky being a copy of the Ramsey DV200 I suppose.

It's a good question though, I've wondered the same thing a few times...

I don't doubt it, but none of the other copies are as good as the winches they are based on yet they are extremely popular because of the price point.

Hate to point this out old spoof but the two winches you mentioned aren't copies!

Both T-max and Come Up are original, just sold under loads of brandnames - the T is a mile marker all the way to a ramsey and the Come up is a Premier through to a Superwinch...

The 8274 is a copy (ish) in it's own right really, being an updated/upgraded Belleview.

In fact if you look at the Belle, it's castings and build make the 8274 look like a GEW or a Saggitarius. Bit like the Husky being a copy of the Ramsey DV200 I suppose.

It's a good question though, I've wondered the same thing a few times...

Clear as mud ....right? :D:D:D:D

So would anyone like to list some different winches and who's copied who? Would make a good tech post, give people an idea what they were buying, and parts commonality. Also be intereting to see who's charging too much for re-badged products.

Ramsey Rep 8000 became Saggitarius/GEW and the bits fit!

Toyota made a winch for there race teams thats a balant copy of the 8274...

Saw a Toyota in Croatia belonging to a italian team that had them front and rear....

Very good and very fast.

The intresting part was the freewheel (Which they must just hated on the 8274)

instead of it releasing the motor, the freewheel freed the drum so that it could turn freely.

Real nice, well built bit of kit.

God knows where you would find one, and God knows how much they would cost.

Jim :)

• 2 weeks later...