Use of a winch?

Petergg

Hi,

I have just had an e-mail from a Local club, with a tip for winching it said--- If you are going in to a sticky area put the front winch cable under you vehicle and attach to rear, so when you get stuck you can get hold of cable easier then winch your self out backwards.

Yes I have done it some 25 years ago on a winch challenge, and yes I know the consequences of what could/might happen and most probably would again if needed to, but sending it out to club members as a tip :(

This is what we are up against!!!

Peter

Thoughts please?

Hi,

I have just had an e-mail from a Local club, with a tip for winching it said--- If you are going in to a sticky area put the front winch cable under you vehicle and attach to rear, so when you get stuck you can get hold of cable easier then winch your self out backwards.

Yes I have done it some 25 years ago on a winch challenge, and yes I know the consequences of what could/might happen and most probably would again if needed to, but sending it out to club members as a tip :(

This is what we are up against!!!

Peter

Thoughts please?

please please tell me you are jokeing :huh:

Thoughts please?

Send an email back congratulating them on finding a good way to demonstrate the theory that it is better to stay silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt! :blink:

As you say it "could" be done but ...................... how many people (who don't know any better) will read that in a club mag, think "oh thats ok then we'll do that every time and save on a rear winch" :unsure: hey maybe you could put it over the top of the cab, would be much easier. Not only would it pull you backwards, but if you can't get under a low branch you could tie it to the rear towing point and reduce the height of the cab so the vehicle will fit :lol:

Perhaps the next issue could include a tip about crawling underneath the vehicle and tying a tow rope round the propshaft and tie the other end to a tree, when you get stuck, then all you need to do is put it in reverse and when the rope winds in it will pull you out :huh:

:blink::blink::blink:

As Jez says Plasma + Hot bits = bad

There's also the plasma or steel + rotating propshafts / pulleys entanglement that could ocurr.

It'd be bad enough to see someone try that, to issue it as a handy tip beggars belief! Name and shame the club so people know not to join it.

I won't name the club, but it is not a LR club.

I sent the below message to all those club members that it was sent out to.

Hi,

Thanks for the News Letter.

I am some what puzzled by the Tip of putting your winch cable under you vehicle to winch your vehicle backward.

I have seen this done by competitors on winch challenge's, as they pull the front of the vehicle round, cut holes in the front of the bumper, jam the cable up on steering, get it wrapped around Prop shafts, have synthetic rope damaged by the hot exhaust, and also pull the front down on a hill and lift rear wheels off the ground which ended up with the vehicle on it's side, the list could go on.

Yes you can do it but, it 's not good practice!! find another way which is safe and controlled.

Please do not do this if you come to Bures.

Regards

Peter

Guest diesel_jim
Send an email back congratulating them on finding a good way to demonstrate the theory that it is better to stay silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt! :blink:

As you say it "could" be done but ...................... how many people (who don't know any better) will read that in a club mag, think "oh thats ok then we'll do that every time and save on a rear winch" :unsure: hey maybe you could put it over the top of the cab, would be much easier. Not only would it pull you backwards, but if you can't get under a low branch you could tie it to the rear towing point and reduce the height of the cab so the vehicle will fit :lol:

Perhaps the next issue could include a tip about crawling underneath the vehicle and tying a tow rope round the propshaft and tie the other end to a tree, when you get stuck, then all you need to do is put it in reverse and when the rope winds in it will pull you out :huh:

No, what you do is lay it over the top of the bonnet,(a little bit of hession laid underbeath shoud protect it enought) through one of the front vents and through the cab. that way you can keep an eye on the cable as goes through! :D

Interseting this; I know that winching backwards with a front winch is possible, has anyone ever seen it done (properly) and anyone got a picture/diagram of it?

Chris

Chris,

I have done it a few years ago, going down a hill forward with front winch steel cable out the back and on a tree, I put a short strop on rear tow point and then round cable to stop the rear lifting and going headover tails, as the front was pulled down and the back came up. Winching back up was hard going as on a single line and a lot of resistance from wood placed on steering protector plate.

I have no pictures, but I'm sure you get the drift.

Peter

No, there is another, proper, approved way of doing it using 3 (IIRC) snatch blocks and a whole lot of trees/groundanchors. You go out forward to a tree then back under/past the car to another snatch block on a tree to the rear, to another snatch block on the car and finally back to the tree at the back... or was it two snatch blocks at the front and one at the rear? Either way, it can be done.

Chris

No, there is another, proper, approved way of doing it using 3 (IIRC) snatch blocks and a whole lot of trees/groundanchors. You go out forward to a tree then back under/past the car to another snatch block on a tree to the rear, to another snatch block on the car and finally back to the tree at the back... or was it two snatch blocks at the front and one at the rear? Either way, it can be done.

Chris

I think it is about 3 at the rear and 1 at the front to the cable is diverted down the side of vehicle and then on to the rear never done it that way but have seen a drawing some where. Might have a play at the w/e :) but won't be going under the vehicle.

Peter

Wow, do you own that many snatch blocks?! :)

Chris

No, but I know where some are, next door to me has a RR with 2 in, I have 2 and my mate's off roader is in my back garden with 2 in, so 6 should do :P

Thought Jez would have come up with the calculations by now :)

Peter

I've wittnessed this at a punch before. The guy ran his wire rope straight under the middle of the 90, out the back and anchoured it too a tree. Then he preceed to lower himself over the edge of the drop to reach the punch. As the wire rope wasn't attached to the rear of the 90 in any way, the rear did get extremely light. I just stood back and waited for it to flip onto its roof, down the hill, hanging from its winch rope.

Luckly for him he reached the punch without it flipping, and as far as he's concerned its a "neat little trick". As far as I'm concerned that was extremley dangerous! I don't think he had an understanding of the forces invovled, or a clue about the possible outcomes of his actions. He's the kind of guy that when you tell him your opinion he'd say......... nah its fine, i've done it loads of times.........

Some people can't be told, you just have to let them learn form their mistakes. However, for a club to allow that to be published as a "tip" for all their members to follow, that is really scary.

Buzz.

What lengh winch cable do you have on the front to deploy 6 snatch blocks :P

Or are you going to use your steel extension wire as well.

Must admit I would be intigued to see it done.

Now I know why I am having a rear winch fitted. :lol:

Regard

Leeds

You don't need 6 blocks. Three will do, possibly a fourth to the side to better direct the line past the vehicle. The one in front is a 180 (roughly) redirect to an anchor somewhere behind the vehicle; this is where the second block goes, to redirect the cable to the back of the vehicle and through the third block. From the third block the cable goes to an anchor behind the vehicle. It could be the same anchor as the rear redirect but only if it is bomb proof. Better to be another anchor for security and direction of pull. The idea is that you are pulling towards the front by a factor of one and at the rear by a factor of two. For every foot of cable you wind in, you go backward 6 inches. The strain on the chassis is three times what you are pulling in on the winch; 1 strain on the winch, two on the rear attachment point.