Have you ever ???

Boydie

Some years back a mate and I retrofitted a 300tdi. I was supposed to finish the thing up the next day and did. as the responsible guys we were, we had also changed the oil... When I fired it, as always when first firing an engine, my eye was on the oil lamp. After approx 10 sek I began to wonder, but hey maybe we forgot to connect the oillamp it ran nice... After 15-20 I kinda got an itch and turned it of to check that oillamp connection just to discover that it already was connected... THEN I pulled the dipstick to discover it was "to short"... My mate had forgotten to refill the sump :-) -the engine is however still running after some 150k km more :-)

mads

Remembering isn't just doing the mechanical parts. I was finished at work in 1984 !!! Did a bit of driving afterwards. Now totally non working I still have things to do and remember each day. One of those things is fitting my hearing aids....YEP you'd be suprised how many times that little thing is forgotten......

Took the gearbox sump plug out of P38a auto - I was on a gravel drive, no pit and not safe to put it up on stands so just using an ordinary bucket, intending to put the plug back in when the bucket was near full.

Dropped the sump plug in the bucket...

Not much room to get my arm into the bucket of nice hot oil...couldn't find the plug...bucket overflowing now...pitch black oil (clearly been somewhat neglected)...

Grab everything I can find to catch oil in and change the bucket. Slop a load more out of the brimful bucket moving it...black oil still gushing out.

By the time I found the plug virtually all the oil was out, and a good deal of it all over the gravel and soaking into the ground below. Huge cleanup job :(

To add insult to injury I couldn't get the gearbox sump off to change the filter, so had to leave the old one in - though that box always kept it's oil nice and clean from then on and never gave any trouble.

Done leaving bits out plently of times, but struggling to think of any real classics!

I replaced the P-gasket on my (old) 300TDi, and finger tightened the power steering and water pump pulleys until I'd got the new belt on as resistance to tighten properly. 'Finished up' late a night, dropped the bonnet and went for a test drive. After 1.5 miles all was good, until I heard a tinkle, clatter, thump thump thump. Had forgotten to torque the pulley bolts, totally lost the water pump one, while the power steering one was still in place but with only 1 bolt in. The belt was totally knackered too.

Doing the clutch on a petrol 90 - no expenses spared - a complete pukka job - 3-part genuine Land-Rover clutch kit, shipped the the flywheel off to South Cerney to have it faced and a new ring-gear fitted.

Everything cleaned-up with lots of Gunk - the transmission was spotless! It was only *after* I'd re-mated the transmission to the engine, filled the relevant places with oil, fitted the gearlevers, bled/adjusted the clutch, refitted the floor and the seatboxes, the starter-motor, the propshafts and reconnected the battery that I found the old clutch pilot-shaft bearing I'd removed, and the little plastic bag that still contained the new one.

let's just say, "words were uttered".

When I first put a motor in my old Stage One (bought cheap with no motor, so I bought an even cheaper motor off Trade Me), I was surprised to find the clutch pedal had lots of travel with no action. Turned out the old bellhousing didn't have a thrust bearing fitted and it hadn't crossed my mind when I chucked the motor in. Remarkably simple fix, though, done single-handed between breakfast and lunch with the help of a bucket on the front of the tractor. That's why I like "real" Land Rovers!

During the many years I've been repairing cars there has been the inevitable mishap.

Customer parked his car and asked me to listen to a funny noise from the engine. Unknown to me he had left it in 1st gear as the handbrake was iffy. I reached in through the window and turned the key. The car shot forward and smacked into the wall.

Customer needed a tow start, and as he has done it before, I agreed to tow him. Set off, got to about 15mph, when he dumped the clutch in 2nd, and rammed into the back of me.

I've actually seen a guy trying to re-fit the gearbox on a 200 TDi 110 - mostly with kitchen implements.

Worst on a Land Rover was my 1st 109. The drivers side chassis rail was badly corroded, so I spent the day removing the floor, cleaning up, and cutting about 18" of chassis rail at the side of the gearbox. The next day I measured, up, made a new chassis repair section, welded it in place, then plated over the welds for additional strength. Put it all back together and stood back - only to then realise that the chassis had sagged overnight and the drivers side was now banana shaped.

Les :)

Autobox replacement, went to bolt the torque converter up and realised I hadn't aligned the flywheel access holes with the triangular tips of the flex plate. Was near in tears under the car as it meant it all had to come back out.