Top Gear Failure by Chris Evans

studmuffin

I'm just waiting to see what they do. They're keeping it all rather tight lipped.

I liked Topgear, but was getting a little tired of it and it started becoming a bit repetitive and predictable. It started to annoy me when things were obviously staged for no reason. The older stuff had a better feeling of stuff being less staged, more off the cuff. Maybe it was just better writing i dont know, or maybe the same old gags just wore thin.

If they try to keep the old format with new folk, i imagine its going to fall on its face. But if they recognise that and do something new/different then i'll give it a watch and see what its like. Chris Evans annoys me, but who knows how he'll come across in the TopGear role? Might pull it off.

In some ways, its a win-win as mentioned above.

Clarkson et al have gone to Amazon, so we can expect more of the old, with a bigger budget and probably more creative freedom and see what that brings hopefully resulting in it feeling a bit fresher, plus we get the new BBC show.

If they pull it off we could end up with two decent shows to watch, instead of one that was feeling a bit tired.

Have to say I used to enjoy chris Goffey, and Tony Mason -especially his reports from the Lombard RAC Rally....

Back when TV was seen as a tool to teach and not just entertain....

That's very true and something I fear is lost on some of the programme producers today.

Clarkson and the other frail middle aged men with a bigger budget and more freedom I suspect gives them very low odds of survival ;) remember upsetting the locals in the deep south... or Argentina for that matter... and when they cracked their head on a tow rope in Jordan or where ever they were?

It could be a great entertainment show :D

I'm just waiting to see what they do. They're keeping it all rather tight lipped.

I liked Topgear, but was getting a little tired of it and it started becoming a bit repetitive and predictable. It started to annoy me when things were obviously staged for no reason. The older stuff had a better feeling of stuff being less staged, more off the cuff. Maybe it was just better writing i dont know, or maybe the same old gags just wore thin.

If they try to keep the old format with new folk, i imagine its going to fall on its face. But if they recognise that and do something new/different then i'll give it a watch and see what its like. Chris Evans annoys me, but who knows how he'll come across in the TopGear role? Might pull it off.

The old one was starting to get predictable and repetitive and some bits were hysterical but many were just a bit over the top. I wouldn't object to it returning to its roots and actually looking at cars more seriously like earlier incarnations of the show, and leave the 'lads f&cking about' entertainment to the new show on Amazon.

Chris Evans though? No thanks.

I disliked Chris Evans early in his career, but I liked him once he got to Radio 2. I agree the Clarkson format won't work for him, and they should try something new, but I also agree that the Clarkson era was hilarious in the early years but was getting very tired in the last three series - it still had enough to be worth watching, but it felt very contrived and repetitive.

I'll be giving both new shows a fair crack of the whip and wish them both well.

Going to see what Evans does before I judge.

I will too but I must confess to having zero enthusiasm. His continued employment by the BBC is baffling to me - he seems to be a Children's TV presenter who somehow appeals to adults, mostly commissioning editors.

Ah well, Clarkson et al were getting tired and they were certainly in the cross hairs of the BBC for not toeing the corporate line. As somebody mentioned above, we might end up with 2 decent shows, vaguely related to cars.

However there's also a danger we end up with some politically-correct automotive 'One Show' and some straight-to-DVD cunning-stunt explosions on Amazon

Well, if all this talk about new versions of old shows has really whetted your appetite, and you want something to fill the gap, how about Thursday night on BBC ALBA http://tinyurl.com/zhwue4z ?

You don't have to have the Gaelic, because there are subtitles, and when they do a piece on ice driving in another country they have to talk in English, because that's the common language.

I was concerned when I first saw the caravan that it might be a copy-cat too far, but no, as with everything else, it's much more low key than Clarkson & Co, which might just be because of a naturally smaller audience, and therefore less budget.

Enjoy!!