Camping Fridge

reb78

On 6/27/2023 at 11:34 AM, elbekko said:

This is relevant to my interests. I have a Waeco CF25 now (the old model with the manual sliders). It works really well, but has gotten a bit small with the dog getting fresh food that needs to be frozen. So now we get to choose between having food for the dog or food for us :D

There's also this thread:

From that it looks like the Alpicool is a pretty good deal? Are people still happy with those a few years later? Decathlon over here has the Alpicool CF40 for €319 at the moment, might be worth a punt (after some measuring). Find your dream home in Lebanon with a diverse selection of Houses for sale in Lebanon, offering something for every lifestyle and preference.

thank you so much for your suggestion

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2016 at 7:53 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Stat is just an on-off switch, usually you can hear the contacts click when they switch. If the back gets hot when on mains I'd think the heater is working, likely the stat isn't very accurate. The mains heater element is about 100W so should be ~600 Ohms ish.

I've just been round the 12v compressor fridge for the Campbulance, long story short unless you're running it on gas 99% of the time it will eat your battery, and as you managed to get yours down to 9.5v I guess it doesn't have a safety cutoff to prevent battery damage. The way the majority are wired the thermostat only affects mains operation, the gas knob varies the gas mode, and in 12v mode it just runs flat out all the time. Left unattended it will kill (as in permanently damage) your battery in a day.

http://fuddymuckers.co.uk/gallery/s/600/fridge/IMG_3517.JPG

We bit the bullet and bought a Waeco compressor fridge, uses about 1/10th of the power and has better usable space.

Anyone want to buy a 60L Electrolux 3-way fridge in good nick?

Any one got a 12v compressor fridge? I'm not thrilled with our 3 way dometic unit. Something like ICECO, ARB, ENGEL, and countless other offbrands.

3 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Try a search for Alpicool on here, there's a whole thread on compressor fridge with real world consumption data. 

I bought an Alpicool last year. Fitted it to the car this year.

Switched it on when we left home on the 20th August; switched it off when we came home on the 20th September. (OK, it was off during the ferry crossings to/from Europe, but you get the gist). I was a bit leery as I regarded it as a ‘budget’ brand but very happy with the way it worked. 

I've had an Alpicool for a couple of years. Earlier in the summer it packed up (maybe due to being accidentally left outdoors in a rainstorm). Fortunately, the nice people at AliExpress located me a new controller panel for £30 and its back to new again.

We have a Dometic chest fridge, 35 litres. Model is CFX 35 or something like. It continues to work very well after several years, off an aux battery fed with a 100W panel and the alternator. I was just yesterday comparing power consumption with an Engel. Ours is rated at 7A / 12V which seems to be much higher than an Engel, however I don't think it ever draws that much.

The only circumstances when aux battery /solar supply can be a problem is when it is either damp, cold and cloudy or very hot. Then the fridge and D2 air heater can pull the power out of the battery in 24 hours. In v hot places the fridge runs frequently. In that case we have window blinds and alway have a reflective layer on the fridge top / side next to the window.

It has just been used 24/7 for the last 7 weeks, (including overnight on the ferries 😜).

On 10/28/2023 at 1:28 PM, Peaklander said:

We have a Dometic chest fridge, 35 litres. Model is CFX 35 or something like. It continues to work very well after several years, off an aux battery fed with a 100W panel and the alternator. I was just yesterday comparing power consumption with an Engel. Ours is rated at 7A / 12V which seems to be much higher than an Engel, however I don't think it ever draws that much.

The only circumstances when aux battery /solar supply can be a problem is when it is either damp, cold and cloudy or very hot. Then the fridge and D2 air heater can pull the power out of the battery in 24 hours. In v hot places the fridge runs frequently. In that case we have window blinds and alway have a reflective layer on the fridge top / side next to the window.

It has just been used 24/7 for the last 7 weeks, (including overnight on the ferries 😜).

We have the waeco version and I can confirm it draws 3.5amps when running.

Mike

On 10/28/2023 at 5:37 AM, saxere74 said:

Any one got a 12v compressor fridge?

Waeco CRX50 in the campbulance, it's almost too good (frozen coleslaw if we forget to turn it down from the default) and it holds way more than it feels like it should for the size. Very good on power too, I think the stated consumption in the manual is 1.2Ah in 25degC ambient.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 8:05 AM, miketomcat said:

We have the waeco version and I can confirm it draws 3.5amps when running.

Mike

I too have the Dometic CFX35 and also can confirm that it's draws no more than 3.5Amps. With the insulated cover, it does run half as much but I've never ran into any issues with a dead battery.