Rounded brake calliper bolt

Decided to upgrade my front brake disks (on a 1988 110) but discovered that whoever worked on them previously has completely rounded off the upper 12 point bolt that holds the calliper to the hub. I've tried all the standard 'rounded bolt removal tools' and none of them has been able to grip it enough to move it.

Given how inaccessible it is I think I have two options:

1. Split the calliper in to it's two halves so I can remove the hub. This might give me access to the reverse side of the bolt and more chance of removing it. Might still need to renew the swivel housing and possibly the calliper.

2. Unbolt the rear swivel retaining plate and the upper and lower swivel pins - would this allow me to remove the whole hub and swivel assembly as one?

What do people reckon is the best option? Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help

When I had the same problem I filed some flats so that I could get some mole grips on more securely and combined with a bit of heat managed to release.

I'd try to avoid splitting the calliper.

Pulling the entire swivel is messy, undoing the screws that hold the seal retainer can be difficult as well (tiny heads, easy to round and not much to get hold of). Then you still have to disturb the swivel pins and pull the drive shaft with it. then it's an awkward lump to try to work with on the bench.

Have you tried one of the Irwin bolt extractors? Never had one fail yet. Might need to tap it on a little if really rounded.

Yes, I bought the extension set as well to get a 13mm as the 1/2" wouldn't fit. I even squeezed them on with a clamp while undoing them but they still didn't grip.

Sounds like I might have to take it to a garage and see if they can weld a nut on it.

I'll given the Irwin sockets one more go and hammer them on but so far it just seems to have damaged the teeth on them (are the calliper bolts high tensile steel?).

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I had a similar issue recently when the bearing went on a rear caliper. Plenty of duck oil, Irwin bolt extractor (we removed spring to gain more clearance) and a very useful trick.

If it's only one stuck see if you can get a pry bar under the caliper and lever it up / down. Whack with hammer to return. Do that a bit and it helps to start undoing the bolt.

I never used the bolt extractor but it really just needs one really solid hit to seat it and should work its magic. But twisting the caliper helps break the threadlock.

I tried levering the calliper up and down and it moved a bit but hasn't loosened the bolt yet. I'll try a few more times.

I don't have a welder so would need to take it to a garage to get a bolt/nut welded to it.

Current plan is to cut a groove across it with an angle grinder and then use an impact driver and with an impact flat head screwdriver bit.

Where are you based? There might be someone local with a welder who could help out.

With regards to the levering - we did it a few times until the caliper was rotating as freely as we could get it. If you have someone to help you could ask them to apply pressure to the bolt extractor whilst you wiggle the caliper up and down, that should help it start turning. Hopefully then you'll get the threadlock cracked off and you can then spin it more readily with the extractor. Once you get a faint crack then keep applying some penetrating oil.

I'm just outside Chepstow - anyone nearby?

Can't get the angle grinder in without damaging the hub or calliper and air sabre saw won't cut into it.

Irwin bolts have now lost the sharpness on their teeth so won't bite into the bolts. Looks like heat and welding are the only options now.

SUCCESS!

Tried a couple of garages who were unsure how to get it off. Tried an 'old fashioned' garage and he said he'd just bought some new sockets for this sort of job that he hadn't tried yet. And they work with no problem at all. Couple of taps with a hammer and perfect grip. Came straight off. And he didn't want a money for it - customer service isn't dead.

If anyone's interested they were these http://www.welzhwerkzeug.com/products/product_view.php?product_id=502

Need to get myself a set.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

• Like 1