Land Rover / Trailer weights?

Hi superduke,

You're likely to get a lot more responses if you actually post your question here instead of sending people off to another site to read it :)

Fair point I guess I wanted to avoid confusion by having seveal threads running at once, thanks for the help.

Regards,

Mark :)

Hi Guys sorry for the confusion :(

I work for a local authority and my boss has asked me to look into ensuring that we comply with vehicle and trailer loading regulations? I thought it would simply be a case of finding the manufacturers weight of the vehicle and trailer and ensure that we do not over load them beyond what they specify. The problem appears to arise from the fact that the L/Rovers have been modified and we also carry a large amount of tools which will have to be taken into account when working out how much weight we can put into then? The same is true with the trailers as they also have been modified. Somebody has suggested that we take each vehicle and trailer in turn and have them weighed individually which will give us our base line to work from, this seems crazy to me as it involves a hell of a lot of work, and how far do I take it? Do I ensure that the tank is full and we have a driver and passenger in the vehicle at the time? Is there a common sense approach that can be used.

Regards,

Mark

Not a nice mix you've picked there Mark, local authority and regulations, wish you luck.

If you want to be sure you don't exceed GVWs and are intent on filling them to the gunnel's then you may well need to get at least a sample LR and trailer weighed.

But what are you carrying and how will you know what weight it will be adding? If you have a 'typical' load why not just take the fully loaded rig down to the wieghbridge and see which side of the line you are (before the traffic guys do it for you). If it comes in nicely under then you may not have to do much more.

Hi Guys sorry for the confusion :(

I work for a local authority and my boss has asked me to look into ensuring that we comply with vehicle and trailer loading regulations? I thought it would simply be a case of finding the manufacturers weight of the vehicle and trailer and ensure that we do not over load them beyond what they specify. The problem appears to arise from the fact that the L/Rovers have been modified and we also carry a large amount of tools which will have to be taken into account when working out how much weight we can put into then? The same is true with the trailers as they also have been modified. Somebody has suggested that we take each vehicle and trailer in turn and have them weighed individually which will give us our base line to work from, this seems crazy to me as it involves a hell of a lot of work, and how far do I take it? Do I ensure that the tank is full and we have a driver and passenger in the vehicle at the time? Is there a common sense approach that can be used.

Regards,

Mark

As Trev said, I think what you need to do is establish a "typical" load and if that includes 2 people and a full tank of fuel, six big toolboxes four jerricans and a trolley jack, then include that. I think if you get stopped then it will be the plated weights that will be used, so regardless of whether the vehicles and trailers are modified or not, if the plate says the vehicle is maximum 3050kg (for a 110) thats what they will expect.

I agree, the fact that the vehicles and trailers have been modified is irrelevant unless the vehicles and trailers have been re assessed and replated by the relevant official body. Both the Land rovers and the trailers have manufacturers weight plates attached. Take a typically loaded Landrover and trailer to the weighbridge, weigh both to gether, and individually. Make sure the vehicle and the trailer don't exceed their stated max weight, AND that the max TRAIN weight according to the manual of the landrover is not exceeded ie both together.

Regards,

Diff

this is no more than Spam IMHO

try looking on Google

Thanks for all the replies it has given me a few ideas. As for the above? Thanks I tried that, I found it to be a confusing matter. Who better to ask than the very people who may have dealt with these vehicles day in day out for years. To suggest my post is no more than spam is unhelpful and bordering on being rude to a new member IMHO

You don't say what kind of modifications have been made to vehicles and trailers...

If the mod's are permanent fittings and add to the basic vehicle weight, the payload will be lower, unless modifications have been done to increase load carrying capacity (suspension/brakes etc.) and the vehicle then re-plated.

Cheers,

Well as The Admin of LRA openly slags off this site in his magazine article, then to have peeple posting on here to answer questions over there, without actually posting the question here.

not searching/explaining or attempting to look up any form of answer.

I also find offish TBH.

If you work for a local authority why ask around Internet sites for info

surley contacting the Department of Transport would be a better idea.

and after 6 posts here

the first in January 06.

why not join in a bit more rather than dropping in to ask this sites users to go and look at that place.

You don't say what kind of modifications have been made to vehicles and trailers...

If the mod's are permanent fittings and add to the basic vehicle weight, the payload will be lower, unless modifications have been done to increase load carrying capacity (suspension/brakes etc.) and the vehicle then re-plated.

Cheers,

Hi, the mods are loading ramps, modified bulkheads and winches, all adding to the weight but not to the load carrying capacity, so I guess I will need to weigh the trailers now and deduct the extra weight from the trailer maximum load.

Thanks,

Mark

Well as The Admin of LRA openly slags off this site in his magazine article, then to have peeple posting on here to answer questions over there, without actually posting the question here.

not searching/explaining or attempting to look up any form of answer.

I also find offish TBH.

If you work for a local authority why ask around Internet sites for info

surley contacting the Department of Transport would be a better idea.

and after 6 posts here

the first in January 06.

why not join in a bit more rather than dropping in to ask this sites users to go and look at that place.

Ahhh I see its a them and us! I am sorry if I have stepped on any toes here. My experience of forums was that it was quite normal and acceptable to link from one site to another. I take it you would happily follow a link that was not to a 'rival site'?

I feel that you are attacking / taking it out on me somewhat. Surely forums are here for people from all walks of life regardless of how often or how many times we post. I mean isn't the whole point here that we share a common interest of all being L/Rover enthusiasts?

As for the DoT, well as I said I wanted to speak to those at the coalface who were most likely to know the crack.

And that will be seven posts now thank you very much

:)

Hi, the mods are loading ramps, modified bulkheads and winches, all adding to the weight but not to the load carrying capacity, so I guess I will need to weigh the trailers now and deduct the extra weight from the trailer maximum load.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark, Send me a PM with your email address and I'll tell you what I know regarding local authorities and towing etc. Alos tell me which authority if you don't mind.

Matt.

Ps white 90 (sorry don't know your name) I've stopped using a certain other large forum due to posts turning into slanging matches between mods/admin and forum goers I'm sure you kinow which one I mean, Don't let this one gop the same way. As You feel this posts is spam I've asked mark to email me. Shame really as some people may miss out on usefull information.

Mark, Send me a PM with your email address and I'll tell you what I know regarding local authorities and towing etc. Alos tell me which authority if you don't mind.

Matt.

Ps white 90 (sorry don't know your name) I've stopped using a certain other large forum due to posts turning into slanging matches between mods/admin and forum goers I'm sure you kinow which one I mean, Don't let this one gop the same way. As You feel this posts is spam I've asked mark to email me. Shame really as some people may miss out on usefull information.

Thank's Matt a pm sent

Ahhh I see its a them and us! I am sorry if I have stepped on any toes here. My experience of forums was that it was quite normal and acceptable to link from one site to another. I take it you would happily follow a link that was not to a 'rival site'?

I feel that you are attacking / taking it out on me somewhat. Surely forums are here for people from all walks of life regardless of how often or how many times we post. I mean isn't the whole point here that we share a common interest of all being L/Rover enthusiasts?

As for the DoT, well as I said I wanted to speak to those at the coalface who were most likely to know the crack.

And that will be seven posts now thank you very much

:)

you know what your probably correct.

I'm Tony BTW

and Mark and Matt welcome to LR4x4.com

spam may have been a bit extreme now I've come to think about it.

Forums are of course based around a common interest hopefully users can add to as well as take from the forum as a whole.

still think the DOT should answer your questions though as they'll be the ones stood with the police wanting to check your vehicles and weights etc and they'll be the ones handing out tickets if you get it wrong.

you know what your probably correct.

I'm Tony BTW

and Mark and Matt welcome to LR4x4.com

spam may have been a bit extreme now I've come to think about it.

Forums are of course based around a common interest hopefully users can add to as well as take from the forum as a whole.

still think the DOT should answer your questions though as they'll be the ones stood with the police wanting to check your vehicles and weights etc and they'll be the ones handing out tickets if you get it wrong.

Hi Tony, thank you, my apologies for being for being tactless. sometimes I have a habit of being too direct when looking for answers.

As a side note I am thinking of maybe trying to get my boss to invest in a set of portable weighing scales so that we can carry out checks on suspect vehicles.

Sorry to say but you will find that a 110" with trailer used comercially falls into the tachograph required band, as the Gross Train Mass of the outfit will be over 3500Kg. See LRO Oct 2006 for details, business solo over 3500kg, business outfit exceeding 3500kg, 10 or more seats used privately in europe are all tacho reqd and drivers hours regs as well. :rolleyes:

Sorry to say but you will find that a 110" with trailer used comercially falls into the tachograph required band, as the Gross Train Mass of the outfit will be over 3500Kg. See LRO Oct 2006 for details, business solo over 3500kg, business outfit exceeding 3500kg, 10 or more seats used privately in europe are all tacho reqd and drivers hours regs as well. :rolleyes:

Noooo!!! Now I know why I was asked to look into it, the last guy had his head in the sand, sounds like a good idea right now!!!

Stuff it I'm off for a drink!!!!

Noooo!!! Now I know why I was asked to look into it, the last guy had his head in the sand, sounds like a good idea right now!!!

Stuff it I'm off for a drink!!!!

Mark as said in Pm I'll email you over the course of the weekend. Don't get to down heaerted they are exemptions to Tacho Regs, I've a mate who is very tacho knowledgable its his job so I'll talk to him as well.

For the record I've been down this route many times at work, the DOT, VOSA, DVLA and Local traffic police are all very difficult to get sensible information from so I sympathise with your problems.

Matt

I'd be really interested in any info on tacho requirements - even more interested in any exemptions. I regularly tow a trailer with my 110 for work without a tacho. If you have a tacho the 48 hour max working week has to be complied with - even if you only drive for 1 hour (as I understand it). Getting definite answers from VOSA or DOT in writing is virtually impossible in my experience.

Gus