LT77 to R380 G / box

23 hours ago, western said:

Yes a stumpy R380 will fit the exsiting gearbox mountings, [my 110 has a 200tdii/stumpy R380] rear prop stays as well on a 90 conversion, but you might need a modified rear prop if the existing one won't fit.

Thanks Ralph I will keep my eyes open for one, I hate the LT77 setup 1st and reverse are too close together for me :(

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maverik said:

Watch the ratios when buying your R380,  I've still not quite worked out what I've got but it's quite different from the LT77 originally in. (My r380 being lower geared) - slightly disappointingly... 

So do you have a stumpy 380 fitted then Mav? I did the Ashcroft calculator and it showed there to be little difference in the Rev/mph tables between the 77 and the 380. I assume the calculator is using defender spec ratios, but I know you can buy the parts to convert the long nose variants.

Again like most it's something I'd like to do as it seems to be a belt and braces upgrade....in all honesty though I have no issues with the use or selection properties of the LT77. The only issue I had was the gearbox detent spring getting gummed up and making reverse selection very temperamental, after a clean and lube it's actually very good now.

After owning the H reg stock 200tdi camel 110 and driving my truck as a comparison there was a huge difference in the drivability of the vehicle's,  i.e. I'd found myself settled in to going along in 4th in the camel thinking I was in 5th... i started to look into ratios but never quite worked out what I'd got.  Perhaps it was just me,  but I don't think so.  I'll have a think and maybe look at the box serial again. 

After reading Ashcroft website I'm pretty sure mine is a 50A. 

When I purchased mine from AW transmissions I don't recall paying all that much attention to the ratio spec...  (a rather serious schoolboy error) but in my defence I'd only known landies a few months at that point. Think I'll be putting some pennies away for the a higher ratio upgrade. - overdrive is a good idea but I can't be bothered with the extra hassle and noise you get from them. 

Are you still using your Roverdrive after rebuilding it?  I too find the transmission a fair bit noisier with it fitted, both engaged and disengaged. (though less than the howl of an engaged Fairey)  The profile of the output gear teeth must differ slightly from the teeth on the original gear box output gear, as it's all noticeably quieter with that fitted.  It does at least bring the engine noise down, though, so it's a trade off between the two that is in favour of the Roverdrive up to about 60mph, at which point the Series transmission and engine revs make quite a din.  My plan is to retrofit a ZF and BW unit, giving just slightly increased top gearing over the existing set up and lower low range, plus the torque magnification of the torque converter, while having 4wd with a viscous centre unit and all much, much quieter and stronger than the current set up.  Snag is that it'll put me under the 8 points for the radically altered vehicle score, losing the tax exemption. Decisions, decisions... ;)

My Rover drive is presently sitting on a shelf waiting my wrath to calm down... after the full new bearing re-build, the mysterious whirring/tight spot has come back... I serious spat the dummy and nearly binned the thing off the bat... but I've got one option left to change out the main bearing for the one I got sent through from Canada, when I find a minute that will be the last shot, if it doesn't work after that then I'll be disposing of it.