Wheel Lift

need4speed

A bad back injury that I sustained years ago working on the railway means that I have to be careful how I lift things or I'm left suffering for months.

This got me wondering how I'm going to cope buggering about with the big 35s I've bought for the defender.

I started looking around expecting to find some attachment for a trolley jack etc that would not only lift the wheel up high enough, but hopefully allow the wheel to rotate as well. To my surprise I can't find anything.

Is there a niche in the market for something?

Surely it wouldn't be difficult to knock something up that not only locates onto trolley jack, but also has rollers allowing the wheel to be rotated?

They are awkward, getting them to the car isn't so bad but it's that push to get them in when you can't get above to lift them due to the wheel arch. I usually wiggle them in and lift the axle up and down on the jack to line the studs up.

If your thinking of making something to sell aim it at truck workshops / on the road fitters as they would be more likely to buy decent quantities due to H&S.

I made up a lever out of 25mm galv conduit - imagine a simple lever with two forks, position the wheel near the hub by rolling into place, put the fork under the tread and just lean back the handle. The wheel goes up / down and when its in place just shove it on the studs. It worked well on small truck / tractor tyres and doesn't rely on a smooth surface like something with wheels would. If I was making one today I'd add a few braces but the thing worked well enough

Capture.JPG

A single GoJack (gojac? gojak?) might do it, although they don't lift very far. Truck wheel lifts exist but they're probably too huge.

Scissor-lifting trolleys / tables are handy things, or for around £100 there's ~100kg+ capable motorcycle lifts on wheels that might adapt nicely.

32 minutes ago, GW8IZR said:

I made up a lever out of 25mm galv conduit - imagine a simple lever with two forks, position the wheel near the hub by rolling into place, put the fork under the tread and just lean back the handle. The wheel goes up / down and when its in place just shove it on the studs. It worked well on small truck / tractor tyres and doesn't rely on a smooth surface like something with wheels would. If I was making one today I'd add a few braces but the thing worked well enough

Capture.JPG

I'm quite liking this idea. Just add some rollers where the "forks" are and that would be spot on. Maybe even make the handles "telescopic" and the forks/rollers foldable and the whole thing could be quite compact and easily storable inside vehicle..

Not really aiming to sell but if people like what I make, then who knows?

No

30 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I quite often roll the wheel on to my foot to get it on the studs.

Mike

2 foots for me normally. To get it in the back of the car, I usually put one thread block against the pintle hook and lift the other end of the wheel. This way you only lift half the weight of it.

Daan

I tend to roll the tyre on top of 3 foot breaker bar and use that as a lever to lift it, moving the bar left or right allows a small amount of rotation to align on the studs.

We used to do the same with tractor tyres and a scaffold tube and it works fine.

17 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I quite often roll the wheel on to my foot to get it on the studs.

Mike

Yes Mike  I do that then lift one side onto the studs with the breaker bar I was taught to lift double decker wheels onto the studs with two tyre levers.

Getting the wheel onto the hub isn't really a problem, it's getting it onto the spare wheel carrier. I have a block and tackle for lifting the spare up.

Edited by mmgemini

Yes I was young once too. 10 years ago I'd have lifted the bugger straight onto the hub.

All this fannying around with breaker bars and using feet does not sound like it would do my back any favours at all. A decent lift with rollers sounds like the way forward..

13 hours ago, need4speed said:

Yes I was young once too. 10 years ago I'd have lifted the bugger straight onto the hub.

All this fannying around with breaker bars and using feet does not sound like it would do my back any favours at all. A decent lift with rollers sounds like the way forward..

Ask at your local FORD truck workshop. We had small wheel lifts for taking truck rear twin wheels off while leaving the wheels on the hub. You won't get that into the back of the Land Rover though.

Why are you lifting the wheel so high ? The wheel should be about stud height and the wheel flicked on. In reallity there shouldn't be any need to lift the wheel

Edited by mmgemini

Some time ago on here, I posted my solution - which was a swing away wheel carrier using either a gas strut or an electric linear actuator to lift the tyre.  You need to use one of the gas struts you can lock at either end of the travel - or you may get a 'surprise' when you remove the tyre on the ground!

There are plenty of low cost actuators.  I've used a couple of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-function-Linear-Actuator-Heavy-Duty-1500N-330lbs-Max-Load-12V-DC-Motor-/191577850379?var=&hash=item2c9aee020b:m:mK6k_pahPHqR5IH6MJoN7Zw

They are fairly noisy in operation (due to use of metal gears) and the force rating is about right - but apart from that, they are pretty good.
IMG_20160812_123637.jpg

Here's one I used on my camper-van (built last year).  The bed raises up against the ceiling using a cat's cradle of dyneema rope and pulleys.  It works really well!  The bed weighs 65kg and the linear actuator is 'geared up' 1:2 - so is lifting 130kg.  It lifts it OK.  I have since replaced it with a Linak actuator which is silent - but a fair bit more money!

It would not be hard to build something, even on to the back door to raise & lower the tyre.  It could be as simple as an actuator + pulley + rope which you loop round the tyre to lift / lower.

[Not entirely off topic as the camper uses a heated RRS rear seat in the back - very comfy & warm!]

Si
P.S. I'll have my van at Donnington if any of you want the guided tour!

I found my drawings:

Carrier Up.jpgCarrier Down.jpg

It started as a solution to the rear door stay (it has a clicky ratchet thing which will hold the door open at any of a number of positions which you can override by forcing the door plus a fully open position where you have to lift a catch) and evolved into a single post wheel carrier - which then evolved into the electric wheel carrier.

I'd measured it based on a 255x85/16 tyre being able to touch the ground on a +2" vehicle and lift a tyre weighing 30kg.  I'd figured on powering it from the tow socket.

It even has a pocket for your reversing camera / light. 

I sent the simple single post design to Foundry in the hope they might make it - but as yet, nothing has happened.  This version is simpler to make as it doesn't require tube bending (I don't have dies for the size of tube required).  Maybe a project for the Summer!

Si