300 tdi boost pin

I am gonna try turning the old pin and the wheel first then before spending hard earned cash on a upgraded pin and see how it goes

Don't just turn it randomly though, take it out and assess which way to put it back in. The deeper the cut out, the more fuel it will add. The cut out should face forwards towards the rad.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is the case. The waste gate is not stuck and the acuator is working ok. It only does this with the bigger boost pin fitted.

I contacted the supplier (Morgan Hill) about My concerns that the boost pressure has risen to 18psi and he suggested this was too low, normally 1.4-1.5 bar with the pin fitted and that he suggested I had a leak. I am not really happy to let it run over 15psi.

it will be fine to run over 15psi, mine goes off the end of the gauge at over 20PSI and haven't had any problems, unless you drive like a numpty with no mechanical sympathy you will not drive about on full boost all the time, on motorways mine sits between 10-15psi depending on my speed (and of course wind direction :hysterical: ) so yours as set will most likely sit between 9-13.5psi as a guestimate, which is safe.

the actual amount of carbon particulate can make a difference to boost pressure so (in my head at least) a boost rise due to altered fuelling alone is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

if you really want to drop back down to 15 max, just lengthen the actuator rod on the wastegate

pressure is force / area,

therefore ig area is CF which is being forced into the engine at some velocity (force can be derived by that) then yes, I do believe so, however there isn't pressure without restriction (that of the valves most likely) so its not an accurate measurement of how much is actually getting past the valves into the combustion chamber IMO

IAT will dramatically rise with that sort of pressure that I run, I notice that my intake manifold does radiate heat more than I would like it to however I am still only running a standard 200 intercooler.

• 2 months later...

Just a heads up for any of the people who have fitted these aftermarket boost pins, have a check of your pin as some of them have worn very quickly. I don't know the full details but there are claims that it's happened to both suppliers pins and that they will replace the worn pin if you as them, so it's worth the 10 minutes it takes to check your pin.

post-25689-0-06079700-1423482001_thumb.jpg

post-25689-0-37402100-1423482045_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have deactivated the entire boost compensation thing; remove the star screw and fit a long m8 fine screw instead. Wind the screw in all the way in so the pin gets jammed in 'max fuel mode'. This means that now the fuel delivery only depends on throttle position and RPM, and turbo boost does not have any influence. This has improved the pickup enormously. Bear in mind that I have not touched the top end fuel delivery so max power is still as per standard. This way, there is virtually no smoke, just a puff when you floor it in 5th gear at 30 mph.

I ran it for 10 years this way.

Daan

Hi Daan,

Can you be more specific on how to do that, please?

best,

ricardo

• 2 years later...
On 2/25/2016 at 3:22 PM, yellowbosch said:

Hi Daan,

Can you be more specific on how to do that, please?

best,

ricardo

I know that this is an old thread but any idea on how to this in practice pls?

re aftermarket pins,  mine did get grooved and have contacted the supplier  ( a chap in poland)  and he is sending another one...

Edited by Cil111