Thin cutting discs

bishbosh

I am just about to replenish my stock of 115mm uber thin cutting discs. (well, on Monday after the VAT has gone down!! :lol: )

On checking a previous invoice, my past supplier's (Right Lines) price has risen quite a bit so thought I'd ask for any recommendations.

Right Line's discs seem to last pretty well which is more than can be said for some cheap cutting discs that do more dust generation than cutting so I'd be interested to hear whoat you lot have to say...

Thanks,

I've been using RHODIUS 0.8mm discs. Mine are completely flat not the depressed centred ones in the link below.

I got them from AllFix but they only seem to be local to me. Also I think that the price is higher than what you have linked to......but they are ultra thin. They do do a 1.2mm disc and I'm sure you will find RHODIUS discs elsewhere.

http://www.allfix.co.uk/Products/Cutting_a...TSSDC115X0.8X22

HTH

Hmmm, my "Uber" has been trumped by your "Ultra" :lol: .

0.8mm is incredibly thin! Up until now I have been amazed at the 1.2mm ones I have had! If it wasn't for the 100% price difference I might be tempted!! Even their 1.2mm discs are twice the price - what are they like for lifespan and grenading? The Right lines ones have been pretty tolerant of my abuse. :huh:

Buy loads now from these guys, unsure re 1mm discs but worth a good look :)

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...;hl=flap+wheels

I bought a while back with a mate 100x 1mm discs @ 54p each,

and also flap wheels 40/60/80 or 120 grade packs of 10 @ £1.28 each

If your order is over £75 free delivery, all prices Plus VAT :)

Nige

Even their 1.2mm discs are twice the price - what are they like for lifespan and grenading?

Been checking price and you are right. I use AllFix for convenience as they are local and are friendly enough to answer technical questions. :)

As for lifespan. Pretty good compared to thicker (2.5mm) disc. Just let the disc do the work. They will wear really quickly if you try to push them thru. I've also found that you can use them as a gentle grinding disc, if you see what I mean. Not had one grenade on me and I've been thru about 3 dozen in the last 6 months or so.

I use right lines, spent about £120 there about 18months ago and still got a fair bit of it.

I like their thin discs for price vs. longevity and when i orderd they had limited stock of metal grinding so i got about £30 of stainless steel grinding at the same price :)

Have you any experience of those flap discs vs the B&Q ones nige? i normaly buy about £20 worth when they are in those bargain bins at a quid each.

Will.

I recently got 20 off eBay for £7.48 delivered and they seem fine to me..

As was said earlier you have to let them find their own pace and not try to force them, but even when I did - and one got mashed - it didn't fly to pieces.

One thing which I was told when I was a young apprentice is to always store grinding (and particularly cutting) discs somewhere warm and dry since when damp they wear and break more easily. Not sure if there is any truth in that but I keep mine in the airing cupboard just in case ;)

Best thing about 1mm discs? That you can easily weld up the resulting slit when you cut further than you intended :ph34r:

Roger

Charles

depends how many You need I could do with some if you want to split a larger amount

I get mine from Minehead hire.

Last time they were about 50p each I think.

Right Line's discs seem to last pretty well which is more than can be said for some cheap cutting discs that do more dust generation than cutting so I'd be interested to hear whoat you lot have to say...

I bought a load from Aldi. I think it was Aldi - it could have been Grenades-R-Us. They wear really fast and have a tendency to shatter easily.

Well I went to MachineMart today and bought 20 x 1mm cutting discs.

65p each (which was fairly cheap).

They are absolute rubbish and that's no understatement. I had to cut the rear crossmember off a 90, so I expected to use about 3-4 of them, but used 9 to cut what must be a total of 34" of 2mm mild steel. They were so weak that I could see them wearing down as I worked.

Part-way through the job I had to replace the disc (again), and as I started the grinder, the disc burst - even though it had not yet come into contact with anything. A piece of the disc shredded my overalls and jeans - right above my knee joint.

There's not a barge pole long enough for me to ever buy the rubbish that they sell.

Apart from wasting £13 on the discs, I could have spent a while in A&E.

Anyway - pics of me leg (well, the knee anyway), steady girls :)

post-2-1227805263_thumb.jpg

MachineMart call them 'Plasma discs' - perhaps they should rename them 'cripple you' discs.

Les.

I can highly recomend these , They are the best discs ive used to date . The A1 `s are the ones I use even through 1" plate and cuttng edges on digger buckets .

They are about £ 24 for a box of 25 115mm Pricey but why compromise against quality and most importantly your health .

http://www.reca-uk.com/recauk/page/2884863...2779567,en.html

They are absolute rubbish and that's no understatement. I had to cut the rear crossmember off a 90, so I expected to use about 3-4 of them, but used 9 to cut what must be a total of 34" of 2mm mild steel. They were so weak that I could see them wearing down as I worked.

That's odd. I was just talking to the guys in the workshop and they were saying how good the Machine Mart Plasma discs were - cheap and they last for ages. I beginning to suspect that it matters more how you use them rather than what brand you use.

I'd def recommend the Aldi ones.

Bought loads when they last had them, infact when they reduced them after about a wk i think they worked out £1.99 for 16, i think, possibly £2.99 but still bloody cheap !

Anyway, they were alot cheaper than the screwfix ones we'd been using but to be honest i think as someone earlier said its how you use them as i've not overly noticed any difference in quality.

I think the exploding discs could be to do with using them on ali and steel as there was a vid knocking around on u tube showing what happens when you use one for grinding both

Bang ! ! !

I am just about to replenish my stock of 115mm uber thin cutting discs. (well, on Monday after the VAT has gone down!! :lol: )

On checking a previous invoice, my past supplier's (Right Lines) price has risen quite a bit so thought I'd ask for any recommendations.

Thanks,

We use wellington welding. www.wellyweld.co.uk

there in Avonmouth but deliver all over.