Jump to content
If you value this forum's future please support us
Muttland

island-4x4.co.uk "THE WORST EXPERIENCE PURCHASING ON THE WEB"

Recommended Posts

reb78    140
51 minutes ago, supaimpy said:

dont think you will get return refund if you read the terms and conditions of sale they specifically exclude that as do most other internet sellers

Even on a faulty item? Surely a warranty issue shouldn't leave you out of pocket. If they could be bothered to communicate that would be a start. 

 

Edited to add, they agreed to pay it before I returned the item provided I sent a receipt. I checked that otherwise I wouldn't have sent it back and just gone through PayPal. They aren't honouring their word now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reb78    140
9 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

If you register for the feature, PayPal will refund returns. I can't remember the £ limit but they will give you several per year.

I've used this two times this year. You need to have proof of postage like a pic of the receipt. It's fairly straightforward and you can read about it on their help / FAQ pages. 

I don't suppose they'll let me do this retrospectively?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peaklander    50

Has it been a long time? Have a go anyway. They will contact you within a couple of days if it's not valid or you've made a mistake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geoffbeaumont    138
2 hours ago, supaimpy said:

dont think you will get return refund if you read the terms and conditions of sale they specifically exclude that as do most other internet sellers

That clause only applies to returning items that you are rejecting for other reasons. Legally, they can't exclude it where the goods are faulty.

They owe you the (reasonable) cost of the return shipping, end of story.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i used them back in april for a set of +5 britpart shocks as they were cheapest as they were on offer. ordered on saturday, got email on sunday saying process, another on monday saying dispatched, and arrived couple days later.  so id recomend them bases on my experiance.  id have hoped for a better outcome for rich as its become public and they've even comment here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reb78    140
28 minutes ago, Landy-Novice said:

i used them back in april for a set of +5 britpart shocks as they were cheapest as they were on offer. ordered on saturday, got email on sunday saying process, another on monday saying dispatched, and arrived couple days later.  so id recomend them bases on my experiance.  id have hoped for a better outcome for rich as its become public and they've even comment here...

When they have stock, they are often the cheapest and post very quickly. But the communication is absolutely awful! So fine if you dont have a problem, but really frustrating in the event of an issue. For goodness sake, just communicate!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The measure of a good company is not always how cheap they are, island 4x4 demonstrate that perfectly.

 

IMG_1272.JPG.2f9396c023b8fd133e2f74505db443f4.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reb78    140

Ok, another week since my last contact with no reply at all. Tried to ring, but its as if noone is home. I have activated the paypal returns thing and the request seems to have gone through, so thanks to Peaklander for highlighting that! I will let you know if it is successful.

To anyone else thinking of buying from Island 4x4 - its fine if the parts work, but its a nightmare to recover your costs if they are not. My advice is to spend a few pounds extra and buy elsewhere. If you do buy from them, do it through paypal and then if you need to dispute an item, do it straight through paypal rather than wait for ever for someone to get in touch. Also, if you return a faulty item, it seems you are highly unlikely to get your return postage refunded from this experience. They are worse then Paddocks and that's saying something!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SPendrey    18
On 7/26/2017 at 11:28 AM, reb78 said:

To anyone else thinking of buying from Island 4x4 - its fine if the parts work, but its a nightmare to recover your costs if they are not. My advice is to spend a few pounds extra and buy elsewhere. If you do buy from them, do it through paypal and then if you need to dispute an item, do it straight through paypal rather than wait for ever for someone to get in touch. Also, if you return a faulty item, it seems you are highly unlikely to get your return postage refunded from this experience. They are worse then Paddocks and that's saying something!!

Totally agree, and I did exactly what you are doing... raised a claim through PayPal to cover the postage as well as the item(s).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peaklander    50

Just for the record, I wasn't referring to recovering return costs using a claim from PayPal. Since 1/1/17 Paypal will cover up to £15 for return costs, for any return reason. It doesn't have to be a dispute with the seller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reb78    140
On 7/28/2017 at 1:11 PM, Peaklander said:

Just for the record, I wasn't referring to recovering return costs using a claim from PayPal. Since 1/1/17 Paypal will cover up to £15 for return costs, for any return reason. It doesn't have to be a dispute with the seller. 

So that begs the question, does that mean that Island4x4 (in this case) get away without refunding the fees? I.e. paypal dont claim it back from them? That doesn't seem right and allows them to continue getting away with poor service/communication and simply doing the wrong thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peaklander    50

You'll know better than me (as it's been quite a few weeks since I claimed return postage from them) Did you need to state a reason for the return? If not then I suppose it might not be picked up, unless you specifically raise a dispute and include return costs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reb78    140

Well, paypal initially declined the request - they said I was outside of the 30 day limit and I should contact the vendor. I pointed out the irony of this given that the reason it was so late was because the vendor had not bothered to reply. I also pointed out that it was in fact 29 days and not 30. They then refunded me my postage. I do think that this does not then get taken from Island4x4 unfortunately.

I then sent Island4x4 an email. Copied below for your amusement. I doubt they will read it.

 

Dear Sam/Island 4x4,

I have lost count of the number of times I have emailed and tried to ring you about the refund for my postage for the item above. I have now asked paypal to pursue this for me.

I am assuming, because of the complete lack of response, that you were not going to bother refunding the postage, but simply didn’t have the courtesy to tell me. You have had the returned item for what must be 5+ weeks now.

I am shocked that any company can behave in this way towards its customers. If you look back at my sales history with you, you will see that I have spent a reasonable amount with Island4x4 this year - that trade will now be going elsewhere. I have a number of friends in the land rover world and when the topic of where to buy parts from comes up I will make them aware of the difficulties in resolving problems with your company due to your inability to respond to simple queries.

I would suggest that for future customers you resolve this issue because whilst your prices are competitive, your after sales service is appalling.

Richard

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mo Murphy    186

I think that following your experience Rich, I'll give them a wide berth too.

Mo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davo    47

My thanks to everyone for the warnings, as it's saved me what would have been a considerable amount of trouble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eightpot    21

I don't think Island 4x4 hold any stock at all, they are a web based agent and everything is drop shipped from Britpart direct.  Works well if you need Britpart stuff and have your order correct, but they can't handle returns as they dont keep stock so they just ignore it till you go away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reb78    140
46 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

I don't think Island 4x4 hold any stock at all, they are a web based agent and everything is drop shipped from Britpart direct.  Works well if you need Britpart stuff and have your order correct, but they can't handle returns as they dont keep stock so they just ignore it till you go away. 

Not sure that's right - they have a branch at Aylesford in Kent - my uncle has bought from there, so I am pretty sure they hold some stock. I have told him to stop going in there for parts and let me know when he needs bits and I will sort out a mail order for him from elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eightpot    21

Presumed they didn't hold the stock as have called them a couple of times immediately after raising an online order to have something added but was told it was not possible -  but maybe they just couldn't be bothered..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yostumpy    5

I have used them on many occassions, and  never had a problem, guess I'm lucky..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×