New toys... help required...

Maverik

Ok, so I'm a spoiled wee brat, hey ho I reserve that right to be from time to time...

I've had my heart set on learning to TIG for a while so was very close to hitting the button on one of these wee babies...

https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/tig-welder-240v-ac-dc-200amp/

But it was just before Christmas so I thought I'd sleep on it a while and wait for life to calm down a little... unfortunately in that period an interloper of fun slapped me around the chops in the form of one of these...

https://www.rcbitz.com/rc4wd-parts-kits/gelande-1-2-4x4-landy-d90/rc4wd-gelande-ii-lwb-rtr-truck-kit-w-defender-d110-body-set-z-rtr0032-g2/

What I find gobsmacking is the phenomenal amount of ad's on you can build onto these things, including 2 speed gearboxes and all sorts of rather LR scale correct parts it just looks so much fun!!!!! but as you can see that fun comes as a cost...

What do I do!!!!!! its so exhausting trying to work it out!

:blink:

In short yes.... :rolleyes:

I need stimulation of body and mind and those models look quite fun working in the warmth of the kitchen building summet rather than baltic ice laced wind blown outside-ness... but i think id get bored of the model once id completed it.

Regarding welders, I'm planning on playing with Stainless as well as aluminium hence the AC/DC...

• Like 1

I've got the TIG210 from R-tech and it's great for playing about with. Wouldn't say I'm great but can join aluminium without it falling apart! I find stainless a lot easier to weld than the alu. It's a lot of outlay for sure but opens up a lot of possibilities. Get some gas lenses if you go for it to save on the gas

My father in law has the 90 version of that. I have axials and a trx-4. If you want an accurate scale model then get the gelande, if you want a capable toy to drive and knock about and have fun with get the trx-4 or an axial. 

The gelandes are very scale but the world your using them isn't.  The gelande looks the part but isn't anywhere near as capable as the others and tends to break much more often.

I' also looking for a tig but am a little unsure what to go for as I also have no experience so if you go for the tig let me know what you go for and how you get on :)