Ok I've had enough now

16 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Yeah just trying to think of line of least resistance, at least to get you on the road. If just a piston, can you do that with ladder frame on?

No. ladder frame completely covers the crankcase lower area with only drain holes for oil to get back to the sump & for oil pump & strainer to poke through. 

cam bearing change is a full engine out/strip job. 

my ladder frame & oil pump refitted prior to sump being refitted 

WP_20171031_19_01_21_Pro.jpg

Well the good news it the new motor is up and running after an oil leak from the cooler pipes and a stuck boost pin. However my luck hasn't improved much 45 has now blown another core plug so I'm now certain the head gasket has gone. This is not even funny any more I think I may be fixing this then selling 45. I simply don't have time for this and it's wearing thin on my boss.

Mike

I suspected the head gasket had gone before it froze due to excess pressure in the header tank. But didn't have time to change it plus it's not the first time it' gone so I suspect the head is warped. Trouble is both our trucks are daily drivers so I was holding out for the ibex to go on the road. That way both could get some tlc without leaving us vehicleless. 

Mike

Well it wasn't a holed piston.

20180320_212036.thumb.jpg.318e6a21168ec22d5598a425df35ac92.jpg

Yes that is a 6mm gap in the head gasket between no4 piston and no8 cam follower. The head gasket has also gone in the middle at the back of no4 piston. 

So good news is I have a serviceable engine as a spare. I'm going to rob the head for 45 and use the head off the snapped cam engine or re-con 45's head for a spare.

Mike

• Like 1

I was getting a sofa off the roof with my wife and it slipped out of my hand.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone I've had a run of bad luck and needed to vent. Hopefully things are going to improve, if not this thread may go on a while.......

Mike