First the good news, heater and wash wipe wired up

Then my day turned to carp, clutch on lathe stopped working que 4hrs later and now all sorted

20230409_084305.thumb.jpg.443769ba80348892063710de95d88a3b.jpg

Sid, nearly threw the towel in, might happen yet

So thought I would get him ticking over so I could work on wiring for charge light, lots of squealing, alternator had jammed, freed off

Then he would not start, tried the air in the tank thing no joy, stop solenoid ok, checked fuel, must have been a load of water in as filter, injectors etc full of water, started to pump it out

Thought I had cleared water out then starter kept going, smoke everywhere had to pull battery connections to stop it, isolator and starter toasted

20230409_160206.thumb.jpg.b694c48acb7fb9647d8f541383a2fdd1.jpg

20230409_160210.thumb.jpg.0d1de982a5ebe80c4ea52198818868ec.jpg

20230409_161132.thumb.jpg.1b00e5330a525cfb4792425fe36ced48.jpg

20230409_162329.thumb.jpg.bb6133f6cf5eb8a3a9206eeca9120c00.jpg

Fitted a new starter after putting new ends on wires, not working, issues with solenoid, should have bench tested it first, fitted another one after bench testing but Sid still not wanting to start, still chasing water out of the system and that's where I'm at at the moment, the joys....

20230409_164705.thumb.jpg.0714a84f9f095afea79c536d2680b7ff.jpg

20230409_164712.thumb.jpg.81a53561337bc17a956e7619c878de16.jpg

Hope my evening work progresses better regards Stephen 

• Sad 2

I've got diesel to the filter now, how do I go about getting the Fip and associated pipes empty of water, have been cranking engine with injector pipes disconnected to get rid of water but no joy firing up as yet

Regards Stephen

Personally because i'm a rough arse I would drop the intercooler pipe off the inlet manifold, engage the starter and then see if it will run on wd40 or duck oil sprayed in sparingly from a distance, anything less potent than ether/brake cleaner to reduce the knock. You are only trying to run it at just over tick over to bleed everything through saving the starter. This is what I do on generators, water pumps etc that are being a total pain and can't be tow started.

• Like 3

Just now, elbekko said:

How much of said water was injected into the cylinders? Hopefully not enough to hydrolock and damage things.

That molten isolator and starter are scary. There must be something causing it to draw a ton of current.

Have had it running and ticking over very roughly but then stalls, I think best bet is to drain the tank and start again with fresh diesel

Regards Stephen 

Stephen,

you might have diesel bugs in your fuel tank if you have water. 

have you seen any black gunge in the system? Have a look in the fuel filter or the fuel tank. 

you can get shock dose treatments to treat it  

Jason 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jason110 said:

Stephen,

you might have diesel bugs in your fuel tank if you have water. 

have you seen any black gunge in the system? Have a look in the fuel filter or the fuel tank. 

you can get shock dose treatments to treat it  

Jason 

Every day's a school day , never heard of this till now, don't think that's my issue as no gunk kicking about, gonna change the diesel and work from there

regards Stephen                                                     

3 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Every day's a school day , never heard of this till now, don't think that's my issue as no gunk kicking about, gonna change the diesel and work from there

regards Stephen                                                     

Hi Stephen, 

a bit of background reading which explains it well. Hopefully nothing more than condensation. 

Jason 

https://www.jamesdbilsland.com/blog/how-to-check-for-and-remove-a-diesel-bug?format=amp

• Thanks 1

Not wishing to scare you but TSD had a similar issue with his ibex build. He got the engine running then left it for a while, when he came to start it again it wouldn't. Turned out to be diesel bug the FIP was packed full to the point it had to be replaced, I think the injectors were done as well.

Mike

6 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

regards Stephen                                                     

One way to help mitigate against it (particularly with metal fuel tanks) is, particularly if they're sitting idle for a while, to keep them brimmed. Metal tanks are liable for forming lots of condensation.

A friend who runs heavy plant has the "policy" that each machine's tanks are brimmed at the end of the day. Not only does it mean they're ready for work the following day but he's noticed a big drop in maintenance and fixes due to bad fuel and diesel bug since he started doing that. Brimming the tanks basically helps prevent condensation forming. The fuel system in a diesel is reasonably well sealed so a full tank doesn't have humid air in it which then cools overnight and condenses (bearing in mind in plant equipment the tank itself will likely be quite hot because of where they tend to be installed).

• Like 1