55 minutes ago, toenden said:

That car still lives (if we are talking of the tomcatish thing), or atleast it did in oktober when I ladt meet it in Pomarania 🙂

Still running portals but I don't know which kind. Lovely chaps, and through the years I have seen it fly more than once so used in some anger 😎

It is quite funny in another way aswell, as the engine rests in the rear of the car...

As far as I can see on the pictures, the codriver looks to be the same, although a bit older now 🙄

/mads

Driver/owner when the mag was published is jerzi(probably spelled wrong, apologies)

would love to see more photos of that one. No idea it was rear engine

As you can see back axle has moved around 4" to the rear, this will help with prop shaft length

20220707_141421.thumb.jpg.ef49e2a84de8d8e7ec4b269075ca61da.jpg

also I can guarantee that nuke spec trailing arm bracket is not going to move, snap off, bend etc....lol Regards Stephen 

20220707_150539.thumb.jpg.4de1bf7922788f753b136db4f802fa9b.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

20220707_131712.jpg

Can’t remember if I previously mentioned this, if it diddnt it’s probably too late but I carefully lapped the splines on my hubs so that they come off with the favourite it’s copper persuader. Made life a lot easier to assemble and disassemble 

57 minutes ago, dangerous doug said:

Can’t remember if I previously mentioned this, if it diddnt it’s probably too late but I carefully lapped the splines on my hubs so that they come off with the favourite it’s copper persuader. Made life a lot easier to assemble and disassemble 

I've already done a wee bit of lapping, also put them on with copper slip, taking them off is not too bad I've made a puller and use a hydraulic jack so it's pretty straightforward regards Stephen

17 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

was wondering if it was worth fitting some lowering springs

Looks like you have lift springs now? A standard spring would probably work. But don't go too low, uptravel is nice to have. A portal axled car is always going to be high up unless it's mid engined and the chassis rails go up a lot above the axle.

58 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Looks like you have lift springs now? A standard spring would probably work. But don't go too low, uptravel is nice to have. A portal axled car is always going to be high up unless it's mid engined and the chassis rails go up a lot above the axle.

I've ordered some 1" lower springs, not going too low but it will offset the fact I had to raise spring mounts in order to clear portal box flanges, so actual chassis height will not change significantly at all regards Stephen

21 hours ago, Daan said:

Did it have the large pto winch in the back? I think I saw that in scotland on the tay forest trophy.

I am not sure if it is in the back, but deffenetely pto and deffenetely strong/fast. I once saw it move a 5m long and 0,4m diameter tree trunk up a hill with the winch, running more or less only on the front wheels... I think it was meant to go over 🙄 🙂

/mads

Sides for gearbox/ single link fitted

20220719_095328.thumb.jpg.5b85ab68af14a73b923f3567c60ec0b6.jpg

20220719_095340.thumb.jpg.37e4f2a45ccbd029b58462922d08b015.jpg

20220719_115029.thumb.jpg.881a605097340025849e60fae94c5e46.jpg

Single link Arms slid onto axle mounts and looking tight near chassis, think I need engine and box fitted to compress suspension and see where the land lies so to speak, stepping out of my comfort zone here so any advice appreciated

20220719_113957.thumb.jpg.0bd615eae658d234bea6532ff4131669.jpg

20220719_114348.thumb.jpg.fe35a5a7539b31d7a5fbd03318922460.jpg

20220719_114412.thumb.jpg.6aa204e617bfadca6c2398cae9f6f2f1.jpg 

Will need engine and box in to start cycling the suspension  for shocks as well

Thoughts please regards Stephen 

• Like 2

If you choose a loaded ride height that will set the shock points tacked in place then the axles can be cycled without springs or engine/boxes ? 

Or am I missing something ? I seem to recall @landroversforever is sort of at this stage with his 90?

Regardless , I'm enjoying this whole build immensely 

Steve

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, steve b said:

If you choose a loaded ride height that will set the shock points tacked in place 

24 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Yep, I know you just put them in, but having the springs out is important for this sort of thing....

So what I'm getting from the above comments is I need to set a loaded height, putting the engine and box in and resting front and rear winches on will get me somewhere near, at this point I can trial fit my shocks and tack stuff into position ???

Then remove weight and springs and cycle suspension ??

I need to fit engine and box first because I need to make one link and have it connected to chassis otherwise my front axle will spin and believe me it's not fun putting it back into position, ask me how I know x 3 lol

Also this will allow me to see what I have to navigate with regards to sump and prop shaft in order to get one link to work

31 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Are the arms cranked to go up as well as in to the centre of Sid?

Not yet, I've had another look, I can gain some more clearance by taking 25mm off the short weldable end, this improves things considerably, also chassis is super strong so I could put some neat scallops in to help out with where arms are at full articulation

22 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Worst case for the arms in relation to clearance of the engine and chassis will be without springs, and the chassis dropped right down onto the bump stops.

Should I do this as a matter of course

Thanks all for your input and apologies if you think I'm being a bit dense about this regards Stephen

Work out your tunnel and under bonnet height, this tells you how high or low you can set the engine and box, once you know where the bottom of the sump will be you can put the axle on full bump preferable without bump stops, if you have lots of clearance you can lower the engine abit, if not I would suggest making some 'sturdy' bump stop spacers so the axle can't clout the sump. I had a hard landing one day and the gywn lewis trackrod guard pushed the base of the sump up to square the corners off with standard bump stops.

At the moment I would suggest you have too many variables at your disposal given your making everything but if you start with 'factory' settings and alter only what needs to alter you won't go far wrong, the factory got a lot right IMHO.

• Thanks 1