Why the slots in an exhaust flange?

ThreeSheds

I have never seen this before - I presume that there is a good reason, perhaps so that when it's corroded to fcuk (like the other one in the photo) you can put a cold chisel in there and give it a tap?

Also - do I now need to use a washer as opposed to the flanged nut and bolt that I would normally use (without washers) in this situation...

I have been mucking around with cars for 56 years so I am quite embarrassed to have to ask this! 

20180412_132711.thumb.jpg.39dd9f20f90774ad88ccb84bdcb4707d.jpg

38 minutes ago, ThreeSheds said:

......perhaps so that when it's corroded to fcuk (like the other one in the photo) you can put a cold chisel in there and give it a tap?

Not a bad suggestion ^^^
But - is is to do with a providing a single continuous outer cut path for the CNC profile cutting? Looks like the profile was cut by plasma or similar.

Nuts - I think I'd stick with a decent quality flanged nyloc nut.

Never been too fond of brass nuts just on the basis of strength - I normally use stainless in an attempt to beat the corrosion. Never had one come loose yet and also never had one I couldn't undo later. I did wonder about those 'flashed with copper' ones but in the end I decided to stick with stainless.

So... If a plasma cutter can easily plunge through etc, do we still have no consensus as to why the slots are there?...

:D

true enough VB , but that design means 2 pierces to cut one piece , full holes brings it up to 5 , it's the number of pierces that limit the life of a plasma tip rather than cut distance in production plasma cutting . there would also be a time saving too over a 4m x 2m sheet of those parts  .... time is money and all that :)

cheers

Steve b

On occasion I've had to cut such slips in a standard flange just to get the (broken) studs out. I used washer afterwards, and never had problems. So I kinda like the idea of the slots as a factory feature.

9 minutes ago, HoSS said:

Its for thermal expansion, avoids stress cracks and/or warping.

http://www.davidenglish.com/swift/Tech/Manifold_Design/manifold_design.html

Expansion Slots

Even with a properly selected material, heat expansion can still cause flanges to warp and/or destroy the fasteners holding them on. Cutting simple slots along the flanges can do much to provide them with sufficient room to safely expand without doing any damage.

Excellent! It all makes sense now :)

On 12/04/2018 at 6:35 PM, Bowie69 said:

Yup, go brass, a nylock will just melt and be no different to a normal nut.

On 12/04/2018 at 4:51 PM, Snagger said:

Brass nuts are the norm.

On 12/04/2018 at 3:47 PM, Sheffield said:

I would not use a nylock nut on an exhaust flange. I would use two stainless steel nuts as a main nut and lock nut and to cover as much of the stud as possible. This might give a chance of getting it off again without a battle in the future.

K-nuts are the nuts..

Daan