Anybody got any impetus to spare?

LS26

Had six hours working on the RRRC (Rusty RRC) yesterday and hardly achieved anything.

It seems that my impetus has leaked out through the new set of holes that I discovered behind the headlight...

So I was wondering what other people do to re-motivate themselves in those times when they look at the project vehicle and it all looks too big a job and it's one step forward and two back and it's cold and it's raining and you're all alone and you're working on the front drive so you have to put the tools away before even nipping in for a leak and it's raining and.. Oh, did that bit...

C'mon chaps - Any suggestions please to get me up and at 'em again!

Decent pictures of RRCs doing amazing things might help :)

Rog

So I was wondering what other people do to re-motivate themselves in those times when they look at the project vehicle and it all looks too big a job and it's one step forward and two back and it's cold and it's raining and you're all alone and you're working on the front drive so you have to put the tools away before even nipping in for a leak and it's raining and.. Oh, did that bit...

Run it as you daily commuter. Then you've got to get the job done and the truck back on the road for monday...

On the other hand you've got to do it no matter that you've got no life because you're constantly fixing the truck and regardless of whether you can afford the parts. That's why I don't do this anymore (and progress on the rangie has slowed considerably...

Does it run?

Chop the exhaust off and rev it up a bit :D

In my experience that's normally followed by complaints from the neighbours followed by having to keep your head down and not do too much work on the trucks for while... :ph34r:

Look on ebay and see how much money cars that are in worse condition than yours are going for.

Smile and think "mugs" to yourself and then get a beer out of the fridge and realise that you could've paid an awful lot more for an awful lot worse!!

Then shut the bonnet and take it for a spin!! Instant grin!

Hmm nice ideas chaps - but I can only dream of those heady days when I will finally start it up, you see I've got no radiator and no fuel tank on it at the mo..

Had another depressing day - the hole I spotted yesterday under the front inner wing turned out to be a really complex piece of chopping out leaving me with the prospect of rebuilding all around the front body mount and the lower bit of the headlamp box... Off to raid the local fabricator's scrap bin tomorrow...

Still - I found a way to cheer myself up - I went and bought some tools :) :) :) :) :) :) I feel better now ;)

Got myself a set of Halfords Professional ratchet spanners - I was tempted by the big socket set (what a bargain!) but at the end of the day the only socket I don't already have (as I discovered today) is a 6mm one. What did I need a 6mm socket for I hear you say? Why to hold the screwdriver bit at the end of 3 extensions when undoing the bottom hose :)

Thanks again for the suggestions :)

Feeling fine again now and looking forward to tomorrow.

Rog

Hmm nice ideas chaps - but I can only dream of those heady days when I will finally start it up, you see I've got no radiator and no fuel tank on it at the mo..

Had another depressing day - the hole I spotted yesterday under the front inner wing turned out to be a really complex piece of chopping out leaving me with the prospect of rebuilding all around the front body mount and the lower bit of the headlamp box... Off to raid the local fabricator's scrap bin tomorrow...

Still - I found a way to cheer myself up - I went and bought some tools :) :) :) :) :) :) I feel better now ;)

Got myself a set of Halfords Professional ratchet spanners - I was tempted by the big socket set (what a bargain!) but at the end of the day the only socket I don't already have (as I discovered today) is a 6mm one. What did I need a 6mm socket for I hear you say? Why to hold the screwdriver bit at the end of 3 extensions when undoing the bottom hose :)

Thanks again for the suggestions :)

Feeling fine again now and looking forward to tomorrow.

Rog

sorry to give you some bad news the socket you were after for the screw driver bit wasn't 6mm anyway it's 1/4 guess how i know :blink: this but to make you feel a little better most hose clips will undo with either a 6 or 7mm socket depending on whether there factory fit or not ;)

mike

Tools are good.

My other trick is to progressively remove unnecessary frivolities from the truck. Results in far less to fix, its cheaper and why do I need a boot floor anyway?

I've got no boot floor as well ! :)

Rog

sorry to give you some bad news the socket you were after for the screw driver bit wasn't 6mm anyway it's 1/4 guess how i know :blink: this but to make you feel a little better most hose clips will undo with either a 6 or 7mm socket depending on whether there factory fit or not ;)

mike

S'alright anyway because in my excitement at buying the ratchet spanners I forgot about the 6mm socket but I got it with a normal screwdriver in the end :)

Rog

• 5 weeks later...
try and do one job and finish it, its hard sometimes you just have to hang in there will be worth it in the end

Yeah - know what you are saying there, but I kindof get stalled on a job and just have to go and start another... Off the top of my head I have about 4 going right now...

Done nothing tonight though (unless you count sinking half a dozen bevvies and letchin the landlords wife)

Roll on Saturday (hope it's not snowing too much for welding)

Rog

• 3 weeks later...

Don't look at it as a huge project.

Break the work down into chunks, concentrate on getting one chunk done ie

welding

engine

brakes

etc

This way you get to cross things off (what is a biggish list at the start) the list and see movement.

Big like "How do you eat a complete elephant" question. ?

"One mouthfull at a time"

Come and have a beer with me mate and we can drown our sorrows. I have just started to bob the disco, I have 750 m of fencing to do before the end of Feb, I have the gable end of my house to face in stone and I need to get on and replace the tin roof with slate. So if you do find a cure that gives you that kick, please come and share it with me too :lol:

Come and have a beer with me mate and we can drown our sorrows. I have just started to bob the disco, I have 750 m of fencing to do before the end of Feb, I have the gable end of my house to face in stone and I need to get on and replace the tin roof with slate. So if you do find a cure that gives you that kick, please come and share it with me too :lol:

Lay on beer and pizza and maybe a warm shed to sleep in and I bet you could get a bunch of us off here to come down / over / up for a weekend's DIY....... :)

Lay on beer and pizza and maybe a warm shed to sleep in and I bet you could get a bunch of us off here to come down / over / up for a weekend's DIY....... :)

Used to do this years ago with a mate's place he was renovating (17c farmhouse) - a whole bunch would go for a weekend of hard work and drinking (not at the same time). My mate would hire any tools etc and book somewhere for an evening meal. It worked well. We had a lot of fun and he got Sat and some of Sun with half-a-dozen willing helpers. It was amazing what we used to get done - took out a whole out-building (6 skips) one Saturday!

If it wasn't for the distance - I'd be there in a flash...

Good luck with it all...

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

I find having something I really ought to do makes fixing the Range Rover all the more appealing. But I know how you feel.

About 18 months ago I spent a lot of my free eve's and weekends restoring a RRC for my sister, it had a new 3.9 engine and she liked the colour.

Anyway, it gto totalled the other week and I can't be a***d fixing up another one.