200tdi engine

I think they are around 350kg.

Personally I wouldn't trust that bench, 500kg will be static load, not humping an engine about. The chipboard will deform if under a constant load as well. 

Cover it with 3mm steel and fix securely to the wall and then maybe :)

If you want to rebuild an engine, buy an engine stand :)

• Like 1

What Bowie said - a setup like that will collapse if you use it as a workbench, it's designed for things sat squarely on the shelves not moving around and the weight ratings are always (ahem) optimistic.

Pallet racking I'd trust, but that's a bit chunky for a workbench.

• Like 1

Avoid working on engine on a bench if you can - that one in the pic will not be safe and shall cause harm.

Static loads are mentioned and working on engines if everything but that that..

I build a bench myself and it will take an engine with gearbox easily.

However, I work them on the ground.

Can't drop that way and will make for boring, if safe, working..

As others have said get an engine stand, it's much safer and easier. I got mine off ebay for just a tenner. I made a sturdy bench for working the head etc and covered it with 3mm sheet steel for about £25 and maybe £15 for the timber. 

5 hours ago, Green200tdi said:

I have an engine stand but need to remove the big plate that is under the crank shaft to get to the con rods just an idea to keep it all in one place really 

You say that you have an engine stand, so it should be possible to invert the engine whilst it is mounted on it.

They all have a rotation facility which can be locked. It can be operated with a lever, so the engine is good to turn. On cheap engine stands, this is a tube in tube system, which can be hard to rotate due to friction sometimes. It is a good idea, to grease it before mounting the engine.

Cheap stands are on a limit with the weight of a 200Tdi, but still work.

Edited by Sigi_H

19 hours ago, Green200tdi said:

I have an engine stand but need to remove the big plate that is under the crank shaft to get to the con rods just an idea to keep it all in one place really 

Remove the flywheel housing before mounting on the stand, see my engine rebuild thread. 

On 12/10/2019 at 2:33 PM, Green200tdi said:

It’ll be fine for that.  It is no work bench - it is a bench sized storage shelf system, so used for storage it’ll manage, especially with the parts spread over the surface area with heavy stuff near the corners.  But used as a bench, with any lateral forces from pushing, pulling or twisting things and it’ll collapse like a house of cards.

A strong bench for putting anything heavy on needn't be expensive.

I built my bench out of 3'' fence posts and 2 thicknesses of 3/4'' ply on top.

Cheap and really strong.

I'd happily put my whole 90 on it.

Well I would if I could get it in the garage, which I can't 😊 

Mo