Word of warning

honitonhobbit

For those of you who use the M5 around Exeter

Subject: speed cameras

>

> This piece of info has just been passed to me sorry if you receive more> than once

>

> The new yellow cameras being installed between J29 and J31 on the M5 are

> not traffic cameras but are SPEC average speed cameras. The first (and

> subsequent) cameras read your number plate and if you arrive at the next

> camera too quickly it is £60 and 3 points. They do not use film, and you

> will not see a flash. Prosecutions are electronically produced.

> There are 4 sets of cameras currently installed in each direction.

>

> Although SPECs are used elsewhere in the country these I believe are the

> first set to be installed in this region and are likely to catch a lot of

> drivers.

>

> I do not know when they will be switched on (they might be already

> although there are no warning signs up yet but although warning signs are

> in the Home Office guidelines their absence will not constitute a

> defence).

>

> The cameras are installed between M5 J29 Exeter (Honiton Road) and M5 J31

> (A30 Interchange).

great minds think alike- i was JUST about to post to ask if anyone knew if they were SPECS cameras and if they were turned on.

The good thing about these cameras is that you can go as fast as you want between tme- you just need to make sure that you stop in the services in between the cameras to give you some time to reduce your average speed!

My father went from having a clean licence of 40 odd years to having 9 points as he hadn't seen the SPECS and didn't quite realise that the road works had a 40 limit on them- whoops!

They've been using them over here in Kent and all round the M25, M1, M11 for quite some time now - mainly in roadworks! I've always wondered whether they actually work, but obviously they do!! Time to buy a series - no chance of speeding then!!! :D

great minds think alike- i was JUST about to post to ask if anyone knew if they were SPECS cameras and if they were turned on.

The good thing about these cameras is that you can go as fast as you want between tme- you just need to make sure that you stop in the services in between the cameras to give you some time to reduce your average speed!

My father went from having a clean licence of 40 odd years to having 9 points as he hadn't seen the SPECS and didn't quite realise that the road works had a 40 limit on them- whoops!

Slightly OT but road works on motorways used to be 50mph now they are all 40mph when/why have they (Gov't) changed their minds?

The 50 limit had a big anouncment about saftey, the 40 limit came in with silence.

with ref to SPECS cameras, i recall reading that they are not able to take into account changing lanes between cameras - if you change lanes between the cameras they don't work. So you have to pass through all the cameras in a set in the same lane or it doesn't log the passage of the vehicle, apparently the three? cameras in each set don't talk to each other This was in a national paper and included a quote from the suppliers essentially saying "yeah but don't tell anyone"

would have added the exact words but must have used the paper to light the fire

Disclaimer : read this a while back and have slept/drunk since so no guarantee of accuracy

The speed limit in roadworks is dependant on the type of traffic management that is being used. There has never been a rule calling for 50mph limits in roadworks, it is just a common reduction for many types of traffic management.

The changing lanes thing was accurate when they were first introduced and I havn't heard of any recent developments, however I havn't had much to do with speed management on trunk roads in recent years . . . I don't think I'd want to test the theory.

it'a accurate, change lanes and they can't get you

Stump up £60 between you all and I will go prove/disprove the rule. :) 50/50 odds I get the £60 to keep. :lol:

I cannot see any technical reason why they might not be able to cope with a lane change - perhaps they are not approved for it?

Chris

Are you sure about this changing lanes stuff? After all, they are averaging your speed over a fair distance and the cameras are normal CCTV style with a computer scanning for number plates & reading them - I can think of no reason why they would care what lane you're in :huh:

I've just googled it and although lots of websites are saying it's true, any reasonably reliable ones (EG not written by bloke down pub) the wording suggests they will have you anyway and you *might* be able to get off if you go to court as the legislation currently demands you are in the same lane. However, due to the technology I wouldn't bank on getting away with it as it's no great leap for them to prove that, even though you changed lanes, you were still speeding.

Daily Mail Article